Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Band E.

Unlike yourself (I'm guessing), we pretty much bought the most house we could afford in an area with fantastic schools. Our real increase may only be £25/month, but that's a lot when you're on 1.5 salaries that just about make it to the median for the UK.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I host my blog/s through heart internet
    Must use my stash up!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My Mum's in East Ayrshire and lives alone. With her 25% discount hers is still up by £32 a month from £202 to £234. She won't consider moving because it was the house she shared with my Dad until he died.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just catching up, Ed - I buy my domains through 123reg, my current live sites are on tsohost (whose admin is very complicated, even though they're cheap and efficient, I don't like the admin, and I'm moving). Weebly has our old work website, and they give you 500MB of free bandwidith, but they're so massive you'll never speak to anyone, which is a real plus with tsohost, they really did talk me through some backroom stuff. For simple buying of a domain, 123reg remains my standard.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I use godaddy and heart internet. Both are really simple. Hearts servers are Europe (London) based and this used to help us with ranking better for U.K. Searches. Not sure if this is still a factor in the algorithm or not!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Council tax has risen here too by 2.6%; not quite so bad as your rise.

Quite surprised your house is a Band E (from what you've said about it before), it may be worth trying to get is re-banded. Mine is Band D and if I am recalling the details about your house correctly, is larger and has quite a lot more land. I don't live in the ghetto, either. ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Council tax has risen here too by 2.6%; not quite so bad as your rise.

Quite surprised your house is a Band E (from what you've said about it before), it may be worth trying to get is re-banded. Mine is Band D and if I am recalling the details about your house correctly, is larger and has quite a lot more land. I don't live in the ghetto, either. ;)

Bands are based on property value back in 1991. First I thought a case of location location location - a studio flat in central London could no doubt be valued higher than some massive rural barn conversions, so could easily end up in a higher band. It's actually harsher than that though, moved goalposts for Scotland:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/council-tax-bands-change

Value in 1991 range for band E in England £88,001 - £120,000 and Scotland £58,001 - £80,000

Of course houses in Scotland may well have been cheap back in 1991, but I'd guess not necessarily the case when considering a desirable area of a major city.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    There's yet another reason to choose a rural area over an urban one. Banding for Scotland seems really unfair, though I think council tax is ridiculous. I cannot see how living in a house of greater value correlates to a greater use of public services controlled by local government. If anything, I'd imagine in most cases the opposite to be true.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not entirely sure that's true SSS? I seem to recall Westminster having some of the lowest council tax in the country?

I'm not sure Alex understands the link between tax and broader shoulders...
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Not entirely sure that's true SSS? I seem to recall Westminster having some of the lowest council tax in the country?

Ah yes, that was in the days of the Tesco heir - Dame Shirley Porter. [The Thatcherite leader of Westminster City Council was the first to really decimate public services in the name of lowering rates/community charges/poll taxes/Council Tax - relying on people thinking they were just paying for streetlights and bin collections.]

Sorry. I apologise for ranting about the loathsome woman
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport