PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you put me down for £350 again please MrsM.
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • Girl_least_likely_to
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »

What do people have for lunches for there selves and there LO's?

My DD is 3.5 and admittedly she is a pretty good eater :j . I give her; small jacket potato with bit of butter or with beans, or with raw sliced peppers, carrots, salami, coleslaw, beetroot, pickled onions (!). I find she likes a few different things on her plate, it's a bit more like a picnic then :). She also likes tomato soup and HM veg soup. Failing that I have a stock of tins like beans & sausage, hoops and today she had her 1st fish finger butty and loved it :D. HTH and if I think of anything else I'll edit my post :)

Different_Corner

I haven't tried it with chips but I do freeze leftover roast potatoes, sometimes I make too many on purpose so I can freeze them ;). I bet it probably would work, especially if they were wedge cut with the skin left on, yum! I might try it this week :D
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Different_Corner said about frozen chips and potatoes and felt a bit guilty?
    I can make chips but always buy frozen ones-and potatoes for the other cooking methods. No harm in being a tired mum and wanting an easier route. We dont have to do everything from scratch all of the time-don't feel its a waste or feel guilty. Im sure lots of us buy both without giving it a thought(well I certainly do).

Hear hear, the challenge is about being as frugal as we can be but it doesn't say we have to kill ourselves into the bargain :rotfl: Personally, I make sure that I have a few convenience meals (pies, pizza, beef burgers and oven chips) in at all times for the days when I haven't had the time to cook or am just shattered!
  • Miss-spent_2
    Options
    Hi, first shop today of the second Months money.

Really cross with myself. I went to Asda's and spent £74.98 and then went to use my 10% discount card (my son works there) only to find I didn't have it. Thats £7.40 wasted bah!

'Me' money this week £25 on a January special (reduced from £40) detox special wrap and relaxation body massage/treatment. It was wonderful and lasted over an hour.

Had to pay carpenter for work today but he charged £60 which was £20 less than his estimate.

Also ordered new dishwasher (3rd attempt, giving up with cheap online deals, they never materialise) but not counting that as a spend as I put it on credit card
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Just back from my small MrM shop and it was (obviously) bigger than planned :rolleyes: anyway not too bad as MrM has got some good f&v offers like bag organic bananas 50p and I got a cabbage for 50p to go with the casserole planned for tomorrow - also 50p bag of new pots and I got whoopsied grapes and naan bread (to help tonights curry not be quite as expensive!) also got bread so with what I have in the freezer that will be enough till my Thursday dlvy..
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • LittleAnna
    Options
    Forgot that I will b away for a week in Feb but as we will have to eat out will b over oops:j:j
    I believe.......:lovethoug
    Feb Grocery £300 - 14.50 = £285.50
  • pinkie_pie
    Options
    Hi! Can I join, £350 for me please. Seems quite high but I spend more at the moment than that (only me, ds (4) and dd (2)!) and I want to bring it down, but gradually. Can use this to get an idea of what I'm spending...
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good afternoon....hope everyone is going well now in feb....on the subject of chips has anyone had any dealings with the tefal actifry ? it makes chips of quite a low fat content but cheapest ive seen is a £100 which is a lot to spend when it could be rubbish ...any comments gratefullt appreciated...im frit of chip pans and friers in general so for us it is no chips,chip shop chips or oven chips...i think some oven chips are ok others a bit pale looking....hm wedges are nice u wedge cut pots with bit of oil and herbs and bake on a tin in oven....ok but not chips iukwim......im told Easter eggs are bogof in wilkinsons ...i know its early but i plan to get a few for test and evaluation purposes ;) tata tess
    onwards and upwards
  • wyrdsister
    Options
    Afternoon all! Just on to update my sig and report the first official spend of February. Did a reasonably big shop in MrA's on Friday and spent £32.44. I've planned meals for two and a half weeks so tried to stick to my shopping list and only ended up with one impulse buy of a giant whoopsied posh pizza for £1.10 (always nice to have something in the freezer for when OH decides to "cook" Pizza bunged into oven is the height of his skills :p)

I've been busy baking quiches all day and now have 3 big ones in the freezer and four mini ones for lunches :eek: When I get in the mood I'm a quiche baking machine! The only problem is I'm veggie and OH is not, and I can't remember which one's have my fake ham in them and which has his real ham :o Silly me! Hope everyone is having a more fun day than I am :rotfl:
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Just having a bit of a veg before the children come back from their dad's. I took all the food to the tip today from my accidentally-turned-off freezer, and I almost cried as I tipped it over the side!
    Then I pulled myself together and got excited about all the cheap meals I can make to refill it! Although I won't start this until March GC, as almost out of money this month already!!
    I am going to spend some time this month poring over my recipe books (I have about a hundred!) and looking at recipes on here for ideas to fill my freezer. If I start planning now, I can start my online shop too, so it'll be much easier in theory.
    Not on this topic, but still about money, I sorted out a new CC today. It took 5 mins on the internet, and I now have a MrT cc, which means I get extra points on my shopping too! Will save these through the year for the december spend. Hoping to get it for nothing, by saving points. Got £12 so far...
    Take care all x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport