Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,771Posts
    • 8,046Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 3
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Jan 16, 5:11 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    OK, a difficult day for me. I was working from home, so received my post. It was a letter letting me know my mortgage will be over this year but a loan I have was still due to be paid. The long and short is this has to be repaid too at the same time.
    So, I phoned my own bank for a loan and was turned down

I then phone the bank I have mortgage with/and loan. Long and shortI have an appointment with a mortgage advisor next week as I will need to take another short mortgage to repay this. If I've been turned down for a loan from my own bank I suspect they will sell me an expensive product as they'll say 'affordability for me' is the reason Yeah right....

I really don't think they made this clear (except for now)

They don't have any products where you can overpay that are less than 2 years and they'll say I can't afford to repay it that quickly so they'll suggest fixed which come with considerable costs. I'm feeling a bit sick tonight

Forcing myself to list good things about today
    * I got free postage to send some clothes back
    * I faced applying for a loan. OK, I was turned down, but I tried and then I confronted my situation and acted on it

I hope you had a good day reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 28th Jan 16, 6:54 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello DIA,

What would happen if the loan wasn't paid at the same time? My initial assumption is that this is bluster and not yet worth too much worry. If you don't have the money to pay the loan (which I assume you're keeping up to date on payments etc) and you're still within the terms and conditions then what can they do?

On the small amount of info I have, I'd say they're trying it on with you, but there may be more information you've not posted here? If you want to, please feel free to PM me.

Personally, I definitely wouldn't take on a new loan as you're starting from scratch with the interest payments and will end up completely out of pocket. I would do all I could to stand my ground and not pay them anything extra.

MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Jan 16, 8:15 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks MT
    I'm going to PM you xx
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 28th Jan 16, 11:02 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Sorry to hear about this loan malarkey, must be very stressful.

How was yoga and meditation?
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Aug - £960
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £254.52
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 29th Jan 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Orange Ena for asking
    It's a bit ironic but I was too stressed to go to yoga and meditation. I get that deer caught in the headlights thing. All the more reason I need to go. So, going to go next week for sure

My day has been busy at work but this financial situation has been there all the time. I did a brave thing this morning. I woke up and before I had time to talk myself out of it. I cut the card for this loan thingy in half. IT'S GONE NOW. I don't know what will happen in 6 months but I am going to massively attack this, so if I am forced into refinancing at least it's as small as it can possibly be...

I am also going to join a credit union and get another basic bank account so if my credit gets ruined at least I can borrow in an emergency and I have another account as a back up. I'm feeling especially vulnerable without my card, so this is a way of helping me feel a little more secure and this will be a way of building a little emergency fund too. Proper saving will have wait until this debt has been dealt with.

I also cancelled my monthly shopping delivery and went through my freezer to see what I had and whether I can get away without a big shop this month and I can.
    I made a very short list of essentials to supplement what I have.

Fares, is another area I can save on. Next week I will save £12 on my travel by walking more. Lots more. Ha, ha. Going to embrace it as much needed exercise

I owed £75 in council tax so I paid that too I can do without getting into problems with council tax

I packaged clothes up to send back to the shop. I can't afford them right now

On Monday I'm off work so I'm going to try and get through to national debt line and get advice on what I can do.

I used to walk to a particular supermarket every evening and see what was there reduced when I was really struggling years ago. I am going to resume this habit. It doesn't matter if there isn't anything as I would have met my exercise target and if there is it's a bonus and will keep my shopping bill low.

If my new increased salary comes through for February I plan to pay off £600 a month as an agreement.

I am glad now I have my new increased hours. I'm glad I acted now instead of in 6 months time. I am glad I am feeling scared and vulnerable and fretful but I am still taking action. I am glad I am doing it anyway

Have a lovely weekend reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Jan 16, 10:43 PM
    • 46,799 Posts
    • 167,171 Thanks
    beanielou
    Credit uniions are fab.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Jan 16, 7:45 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a calmer day
    A calmer day.

I went to work. I ate a healthy lunch (brought from home) a layered salad since you're asking, smoked mackerel, grated carrot, brown and red rice, homous, seeds, raisins with a garlicky dressing. Yum!

I find if I eat well I have better days...plus my weight is an issue although I lost a stone last year and kept it off and this year it's down again too..

I had free coffee and free paper from Waitrose but I did buy some stuff for the freezer and only after did I remember I wasn't supposed to be shopping. I bought:
    Mini chicken fillets 4.29 reduced to 1.25 (2 Packs so 2.50)
    Lamb fillets 3.53 reduced to 1.18 (2 packs so 2.36)
    Smoked ham joint 11.58 reduced to 4.05
    Free range chicken drumsticks 2.57 reduced to 1.42
    An orange 34p
    A jar of pickles 1.49

I returned my clothes finally so that credit will come back to the now cut up card and there is another credit setting on company account for the coat

I had a day off from worrying about the debt as I am talking to debt line on Monday

Happy Saturday people x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Jan 16, 8:29 PM
    • 46,799 Posts
    • 167,171 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well on Monday

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 31st Jan 16, 12:25 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    A calmer day.

I went to work. I ate a healthy lunch (brought from home) a layered salad since you're asking, smoked mackerel, grated carrot, brown and red rice, homous, seeds, raisins with a garlicky dressing. Yum!

I find if I eat well I have better days...plus my weight is an issue although I lost a stone last year and kept it off and this year it's down again too..

I had free coffee and free paper from Waitrose but I did buy some stuff for the freezer and only after did I remember I wasn't supposed to be shopping. I bought:
    Mini chicken fillets 4.29 reduced to 1.25 (2 Packs so 2.50)
    Lamb fillets 3.53 reduced to 1.18 (2 packs so 2.36)
    Smoked ham joint 11.58 reduced to 4.05
    Free range chicken drumsticks 2.57 reduced to 1.42
    An orange 34p
    A jar of pickles 1.49

I returned my clothes finally so that credit will come back to the now cut up card and there is another credit setting on company account for the coat

I had a day off from worrying about the debt as I am talking to debt line on Monday

Happy Saturday people x
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Sounds like a good day DIA. Great bit of shopping there and sometimes you have to get the bargains when you see them.

Salad sounds lovely. Have you seen the trend for layered salad in jars?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Jan 16, 7:17 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Salad sounds lovely. Have you seen the trend for layered salad in jars?
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    I have to admit the salad was in a glass mason jar Have a good day Orange Ena
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 31st Jan 16, 8:26 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    I have to admit the salad was in a glass mason jar Have a good day Orange Ena
    Haha love it Whatever happened to tupperware? And round plates? What's this trend for square plates or even having your food served on a bit of slate? What's going on?

Have a great week x
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Jan 16, 9:15 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I know, I know, Orange Ena
    But I'm a sucker for a glass jar. I like seeing what's inside and feeling virtuous and I want my team mates to ooh and ahh over my healthy lunch. Although I totally agree about plates. I've even had food served to me on a piece of wood. Crazy! You can't beat a plain white round plate...

You are doing so well with your debts. I'm pleased for you, but selfishly a bit sad that you may be leaving us soon

Have a good week DIA
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 31st Jan 16, 9:25 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    I know, I know, Orange Ena
    But I'm a sucker for a glass jar. I like seeing what's inside and feeling virtuous and I want my team mates to ooh and ahh over my healthy lunch. Although I totally agree about plates. I've even had food served to me on a piece of wood. Crazy! You can't beat a plain white round plate...

You are doing so well with your debts. I'm pleased for you, but selfishly a bit sad that you may be leaving us soon

Have a good week DIA
    Ooh I can see the attraction to a glass mason jar filled with a healthy layered salad, but it's not for me. I'm a bit of a dropper so I'd be annoyed to have to clear up a ruined glassy salad and then buy lunch Hmmmm steak with a side of splinters

Aww don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. Still got about 4.5k to clear which will take me into next year I think, unless my postcode comes up in the lottery

x
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Jan 16, 9:30 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Nearly a NSD
    I nearly had a NSD and I know nearly doesn't count and you can't have a nearly NSD any more than you can be a little bit pregnant, but I didn't buy anything until 9pm when I had a chat with a friend who has just come out of hospital and is not being paid by work. She has no money coming in. This is a friend I have known since I was 11 years old. I don't have much but she has less. My situation is not good but hers is worse, so I transferred £50 into her account. I won't get any new food this week and I'll walk everywhere I need to go. I should be okay...I have to be as I have no card to fall back on anymore

I had a NSD on Tuesday.

I'm thinking I can have at least 2 NSDs a week, this week it will be Tuesday and Sunday

Have a good week reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 31st Jan 16, 11:13 PM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 25,272 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Well done you. Clearing debt is important but true friends are so much more than that.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Feb 16, 9:47 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Today's mood music
    Well done you. Clearing debt is important but true friends are so much more than that.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thanks in need of direction that's exactly what I think too

Today's mood music

I don't know if anyone has used national debt line but they are a great charity and I was the first caller of the day this morning

I am going to send the bank a financial statement and an agreement plan and I am going to keep on paying. It seems they can take me to court and ask for my house which is a scary thought but it would be unlikely a judge would agree. They might send the debt to debt collectors but I will keep paying in the same way. I have to hope and pray that works but I begin paying off £600 a month on pay day in 24 days time...

I have daffodils in my house and they are contrasting with the mess everywhere. I need to clean this house!!

Washing machine is on and I have just washed and packed away dishes. Now need to do the same again

I chased a bursary I have not heard back from...

Feeling a bit low and is if the house is falling down around me. Everywhere I look there is something that needs doing.

Perhaps I need to get some fresh air too. I stayed in yesterday all day which isn't good for me

Have a good day reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 1st Feb 16, 11:42 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello DIA,

Sorry to hear about your house loan situation but so proud to hear how much you're doing about it. I totally agree that you keep on paying as you have been as that puts you in a far stronger position. Actions from banks like this disgust me!

I've also been feeling a bit overwhelmed by how much work needs doing on my house! All we can do is take a deep breath and push forward.

Thinking of you! MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Feb 16, 1:28 PM
    • 46,799 Posts
    • 167,171 Thanks
    beanielou
    Are you really sure that you can afford £600 per month?

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Feb 16, 3:53 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    An overcast day and the weather isn't great either
    Hello DIA,

Sorry to hear about your house loan situation but so proud to hear how much you're doing about it. I totally agree that you keep on paying as you have been as that puts you in a far stronger position. Actions from banks like this disgust me!

I've also been feeling a bit overwhelmed by how much work needs doing on my house! All we can do is take a deep breath and push forward.

Thinking of you! MTxx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops
    Thanks MT Yes, I am proud of my action too, but so sad I am in this situation. I'm feeling a bit down actually like the light at the end of the tunnel has dimmed

You're right we need to push through on getting house stuff down. I am psyching myself up to contact a plumber again. I am washing in a bowl like a character in Call the Midwife. It can't continue...

What have you identified to do next?
    DIA xx

Hey Beanilou, thanks for asking, but yes I can afford £600 as it's the same amount as the mortgage I won't be paying come the Summer. Also I have increased my salary by working an extra 2 days a week. In fact from the Summer although I have said I'll pay £600, the plan is to actually pay more. In 2017 I'm also planning to get a lodger once I've tackled the house jobs
    DIA x

Update on today

I just found out I paid for my council tax this month when I didn't need to so I must be the only person on this forum to OVERPAY my council tax More than a little peed off about that.

I have very little left in my salary, no savings, no credit card and I still spent money today!

4 cans baked beans 1.25
    4 cans tomatoes 1.12 (on offer)
    Chocolate 1.20
    Tea 1.00
    Nuts 1.72
    Seeds 1.00
    Nuts 1.25
    Port 6.25
    Fares 3.00
    TOTAL =17.79

Tomorrow is a NSD. Wednesday minimal spend for meditation and yoga...

I'm going to start listing 3 good things to stop me sliding into depression...

1 Free coffee in nice supermarket
    2 Resisted coffee in Nero
    3 Got advice from debt line and changed appointment at bank so I can get FS and make offer
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Feb 16, 12:30 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    A nsd
    This morning is sunny, cold, but sunny, so I have sheets blowing on line and I have done 2 lots of washing

I'm working at home.

Instead of threading my eyebrows I plucked them myself and I am impressed with the results. I also used my posh samples to do a face mask and scrub and moisture and my face looks and feels loads better. When my debts are paid off I plan to have regular facials (using trainees at the beauty school of course, no need to pay full price)

I'm rethinking Gum**** as I listed a dress and some china and neither sold. I know E**** will sell better but I'm not sure I could deal with the hassle. I do donate some things to the charity shop and all my books/DVDs go to Oxfam but I need to sell stuff too as I need the money

Anyway, hoping you have had a sunny start to your day too
    DIA x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,463Posts Today

8,712Users online

Martin's Twitter