Aldi prices creeping up

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The biggest increase I have seen in Lidl...not so long ago freshly baked Small Tiger Loaf 50p...now 69p.
    But still my favourite supermarket. Could do without all the processed dishes as in Spanish/Mexican/Polish weeks.
  • artyclarty
    artyclarty Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure where everyone is getting these inflated dairy prices from. I found an old Lidl receipt the other day from when I graduated from uni in 2009 and went into the big bad world.

Milk in Lidl cost £1.09, butter £1.25. About a year or two after both went down to £1 and last year 89p and 85p respectively. So in the grand scheme of things, this 'scandalous' milk £1 and butter £1.20, that's not really much of an increase tbh.

However, veg does seem to have increased quite a lot: bananas on the other hand have gone from 58p/kg to 78p/kg, mushrooms have gone from 59p to £1 and courgettes from 99p/kg to 1.28p/kg.

Someone mentioned beef I believe, 2009 500g 20% mince 99p, now £1.59.

Other interesting things to notice:
    Bottles Pepsi (with german writing only) 59p, now £1.25
    Cans of Pepsi (again only german writing) 29p now 39p
    Little cans of energy drinks 19p, now £25p
    Nescafe £2.99 now £3.99
    Chocolate/strawberry knock off cornettos 99p now £1.45
    Garden Peas 89p now £1.05
    Mushy Peas 25p now 19p
    Corned beef still £1.49

All of this is over rougly 8 years, so you all can decide whether these are reasonable price changes or not.

The one thing I can say is that my diet has not improved much!:rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ^Yep, those who don't buy processed foods have probably been hit in the pocket the least.

She says as she finishes the last of her Aldi Jaffa cakes at 31p/12 :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started going to Tesco for milk because I find it lasts far longer compared to Lidl's. I've found myself looking at the prices and picking up produce there more and more to save also having to stop at Lidl. There is very little difference in price or quality I most of what I buy it seems.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robrymond wrote: »
    I noticed prices rising in the past month or so at Aldi. A lot of prices simply raised to what I call the 'pre-deflation' price when the supermarkets crunched prices in late 2015 and early 2016.

However anything that involves diary has shot up in price again despite wholesale milk prices not rising too much. Butter is now not far off branded prices.

Meat seems to be rising slowly too especially beef and pork. Pork has gone from £2.99kg to £3.59 in a few weeks and Brisket Beef joints are now a £1 more per kg.

Luckily chickens and minced beef seem to have stayed low at the moment.

Maybe you'll get a better deal with your 2018 version.;)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    She says as she finishes the last of her Aldi Jaffa cakes at 31p/12 :D

I tried those ...once. Now filed in the "do not bother again" basket.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    artyclarty wrote: »

All of this is over rougly 8 years, so you all can decide whether these are reasonable price changes or not.

Well we've only been using Aldi as our main shop for the last 18 months and I'm the one who started the thread, so it's certainly been a lot more recent than that.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I tried those ...once. Now filed in the "do not bother again" basket.
    My resident crisp-monster has now morphed into a crisp-and-jaffa-cake monster. I've bought a staggering 6 packs since he moved in 10 days ago :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive noticed that the Supermeat dog food goes up (and down). Not complaining because it rates highly on https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ when i typed in the ingredients.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Prices are creeping up as they are now advertising on the telly etc - and developing/promoting "premium brands" and posher stuff, to attract the middle classes.

They used to simply sell good food at cheap prices... now they're in the race for people who buy unusual stuff, new fads, luxury items etc. The shops also have to be kept cleaner/smarter than they used to be....

All of that costs money.

I'm not sure about the need to attract middle classes as this is a large demographic who have been shopping at Aldi for many years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure