Premium bond

Options
I am planning to buy some premium bonds. I read on the website following,
Bonds are not transferable at any time. Following the
death of a Bond holder, the value of the Bonds will form part
of the deceased Bond holder’s estate

Can someone explain it in simple English. I do not want to invest money if on one will benefit from it after my unplanned death.

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They'll turn the bonds back into cash and give the money back as part of your estate left behind.

I hope you live a long time :D
    Pants
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    postgirl wrote: »
    I am planning to buy some premium bonds. I read on the website following,
    Bonds are not transferable at any time. Following the
    death of a Bond holder, the value of the Bonds will form part
    of the deceased Bond holder’s estate

Can someone explain it in simple English. I do not want to invest money if on one will benefit from it after my unplanned death.

Suppose you buy £1000 of premium bonds and one of their numbers comes up for the £1,000,000 prize on 1 January 2016. If you died on 2 January then your heirs would get the value of both your bonds (£1000) plus the prize you won. However if you had died on 31 December 2015 your heirs would only get the value of the bonds (£1000) back. They would not get the £1m because your bonds were effectively automatically encashed on your death the day before. (Someone else will get to win the £1m.)
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    naedanger wrote: »
    Suppose you buy £1000 of premium bonds and one of their numbers comes up for the £1,000,000 prize on 1 January 2016. If you died on 2 January then your heirs would get the value of both your bonds (£1000) plus the prize you won. However if you had died on 31 December 2015 your heirs would only get the value of the bonds (£1000) back. They would not get the £1m because your bonds were effectively automatically encashed on your death the day before. (Someone else will get to win the £1m.)

Not quite. From the.NS&i website (sorry can't post links)

Premium Bonds
    If the NS&I savings you are claiming include Premium Bonds, you can continue the holding in the deceased’s name. Bonds will remain in each prize draw for up to 12 months after the date of the customer’s death

So in the example above the bonds would be in the January draw whether someone died on 31 Dec or 2 Jan. Whether the person is likely to win is of course a different discussion.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    When my mother died I was given the option to leave the bonds for a year (which I did) or to redeem them straight away. The money was automatically sent to me a year after her death.

However obviously I didn't get the choice until I told them she had died. So if in the meantime one had come up, presumably the money would have been paid out because I most certainly wouldn't have opted for immediate redemption in those circumstances!

(They didn't win anything.) :(
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is no bond printed on paper, and it's not very obvious you have any, unless you tell somebody.

If you want somebody to get it after your unplanned death, you had better leave some clues, like write a Will, and a note for the Executor, with your NS&I details.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    There is no bond printed on paper, and it's not very obvious you have any, unless you tell somebody.

If you want somebody to get it after your unplanned death, you had better leave some clues, like write a Will, and a note for the Executor, with your NS&I details.

Individual bonds are no longer printed but if you get a win you will receive through the post an updated statement of all your bonds you hold. I'm sure you can request this from NS&I if you haven't generated a statement through a win.

:rotfl:You couldn't make this up. Literally as I am typing this the postman has just delivered a revised statements of premium bond holdings for my wife and I as a result of us having invested some more money in them last month.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oblivion wrote: »
    Individual bonds are no longer printed but if you get a win you will receive through the post an updated statement of all your bonds you hold.

Which is what you would enclose with the Note to the Executor.

I get these updates, too, but if you were the Executor, and you ring up NS&I, and say, I don't have any account numbers, just a name and address, do you mind telling me what holding the deceased has, you are going to get the Data Protection Shuffle. On the other hand, if the OP is dead, what does she care about the hassle the Executor has to go through.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Which is what you would enclose with the Note to the Executor.

I get these updates, too, but if you were the Executor, and you ring up NS&I, and say, I don't have any account numbers, just a name and address, do you mind telling me what holding the deceased has, you are going to get the Data Protection Shuffle. On the other hand, if the OP is dead, what does she care about the hassle the Executor has to go through.

Went through this as an executor last year and I've got to say NS&I are excellent and very easy to deal with. One application and they check all their types of savings instruments as part of the service just in case there are undiscovered accounts that as an executor you are not aware of.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    NS&I are excellent and very easy to deal with.

On the whole that's my experience too - much better than the average governmental organisation.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Keepbusymum
    Options
    Hi

I have a paper statement for all of my Premium bonds so do I need to keep all the old certificates for each bond I have ??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure