PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Packing Service?

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you can afford it - it is THE single most important "extra" you can buy when moving house.

I've watched it - you stand and sup coffee, then when you're confident they're up to speed and know what's what, you go out down the road and pick up some lunch for yourself ... or just get on with whatever you fancy .... they just pack, wrap, pack, box, wrap, pack... relentlessly.

You just stand there....

Worth it. Do it if you can afford it.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .... For what it's worth I don't think I'd normally consider it but we have a 1y and 3y old.....

Well, normally you'd take them in the car, but if they are well-wrapped by professionals using the correct materials (bubble wrap, tape and nappies), and the journey not too long, they'll be fine, and your journey will be the quieter for it!

Professional packing services are the bees knees. All six knees, unbroken, and hairy as hell! I move too much and, where the tab is being picked up on a relocation package, always (get them to) pay the extra, and never regretted it. They wrap and pack at speed and, at first, one might be concerned. However, the skill that comes from practice pays off.

With BAR removal firms, we have never had a breakage - and that's around six moves of a five(ish) bedroom house, much of it antique (carp and cheap, but fragile) stuff.

Candlesticks with snuffers - not only the snuffer gets individually wrapped, but the candle itself is removed and wrapped. Each and every glass is wrapped, using several sheets of paper. Draws are taken out, tucked up to bed with scrumpled paper, and slipped back in - even if they have tat in them!

Oh, the bliss of seeing someone else (not) fight with the tape, as another box is slid away up the ramp and onto the van... the delight as a box of glassware (wrapped using a third of the Amazon Rainforest in paper) floats gracefully onto the truck... Then I remember those times that my wife and I weren't getting a relocation deal - sweaty and dusty and sneezy and irritable and clumsy and at two o'clock in the morning, surrounded by things that don't fit with anything else whatsoever, four remaining sheets of wrapping paper, one box and thirty-two dinner plates with a myriad of glasses spilling slowly over the blood-stained carpet, still damp with tears and sweat.

Packers! Use them, or pay a solicitor twice that for the divorce settlement/defence against manslaughter charges. Your choice.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I probably wouldn't bother, if I know I'm moving then just pack some items daily ready - I live alone maybe that's why.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 11:33PM
    Options
    Pay for them to pack everything. Do it.
    Best money you'll ever spend. Moving's stressful enough, you don't need the hassle of packing by yourself. They don't unpack for you though.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • 9ja4life
    9ja4life Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    DO IT!
    I've paid for a full packing service twice! 2nd one unpacked for us for free as I had new born twins and a 19 month old. They unpacked and built the major stuff but that was enough. I made them dinner and gave a hefty tip!
    We're about to move again - and I've arranged for a full packing service
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Nothing to add except to confirm what every one else is saying - DO IT!

I'd never consider doing anything else now, my last move so much much less stressful being able to leave the packing to someone else :) Day one most things were pack & loaded, a chair and TV left in in living room for that evening, bedroom also left for the following day. Day two remaining items packed and loaded, off they went to my new place while I waited for my lift (I don't drive), completed just as I left the old place, everything moved into new place, beds put back together and me with feet up & a cuppa by 4pm when they finished! What could be easier??
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do it as a favour to your buyers. There have been several threads on here recently about people not being able to move into new houses because the sellers hadn't finished packing and moving out. If you use the packing service you should be able to guarantee that you will be out of the house and the house will be vacant at completion time. This is extremely important as you are not allowed to have items in a house after completion because the house no longer belongs to you so if the packing service can get you into the position where you don't have any of your belongings in a house that doesn't belong to you without the new owners permission it is worth every penny of £400.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 April 2017 at 5:11PM
    Options
    i appreciate the MSE answer would be save the £400 - GET PLANNING AND PACK.

but no, my OH paid to have the packing service as a gift to us on our recent move and it was wonderful (the prev move was a living nightmare and we both just did want to go through that again - MSE self move/ hire van - on a budget)

i can also recommend having a professional clean done on the house you are moving into. Our removals had a recommended partner and it came at a reduced price - so while they were packing up and moving the old house they had a team who were scrubbing and cleaning the new one - oven gleaming and bathrooms sparkling- best move ever!
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    i appreciate the MSE answer would be save the £400 - GET PLANNING AND PACK.
    Great idea for them to offer a cleaning service! Would def do that!

I'll argue that the MSE option would be to pay the £400 as your sanity, marriage, time, etc is worth way more than that - and I know which I'd rather save lol ;) (Dafty summed it up well! They are like lightning and make it look so easy. Make sure you keep your keys, pet carriers and everything separate though! My pet carrier got packed and luckily it was the first or second I opened to look for it (out of around 100! They say they never pack keys, but they definitely packed my car keys once too lol - luckily I found the spare!).

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The MSE answer might well be to save money by packing ourselves but this is one of these things you save money elsewhere so you can afford to do it.

Economy makes a great servant but a terrible god. :)
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure