PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours

Options
Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I moved into the apartment on 28 December 2017 and signed a 6 month lease. I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work. I refuse to keep a cat indoors all day as I think it's cruel so I had him rehomed. This obviously resulted in me throwing away the bedding for him, food and litter box etc. The litter box is fairly large so I covered it with bin bags. I then threw it into one of the 3 industrial bin skips that we have on the premises. This was around midnight. This morning I have found the same litter box on the doormat outside my front door! Someone has actually gone into the bin, taken it away from the bin bags around it, pulled it out and put in right in front of my door! It is sociopathic behaviour. This is not the first time the neighbours have removed things from the bin either. They even complained about a bowl of cat biscuits I had outside my door!

I have a feeling I know who it is however as the police have said, because I cant prove it it will just go down on record as a reported incident. The person I think it is has made complaints about my cat being outside/bowl of cat biscuits directly to my landlady. He "owns" the complex if you like.

Obviously I no longer want to live here and I feel like I am being forced out. I feel as though I am not liked in the area as I am young and I rent as opposed to the other home owners who have actually bought their apartments.

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was the bin general waste or recycling? A litter tray should be cleaned and put in the recycling bin.

Why food outside when the cat has food at home? Or do you think it is acceptable to lock an animal outsidr all day?
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    The industrial bins are for general waste. My cat was fed in the morning and he would go outside during the day (which he liked doing may I add). I had the biscuits in the bowl for him just as little snacks through the day.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Well firstly this all seems very out of proportion. Certainly not sociopathic..

You should not be leaving your cat outside all day if it is disturbing the neighbours. It is also far crueller to rehome a cat that has spent its life with you rather than keep it outside. Also, why have cat biscuits outside your door? That just encourages other animals to what I assume is a communal flat area.

What would the police do about complaints and putting a litter tray outside your door? Had you put it in the wrong bin by any chance? A recycling only one?

None of these issues seem that big a deal nor a reason to end your tenancy. There is only one person coming across sociopathic in this thread.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Was the bin general waste or recycling? A litter tray should be cleaned and put in the recycling bin.

Why food outside when the cat has food at home? Or do you think it is acceptable to lock an animal outsidr all day?

Litter trays are hard plastic so wouldn't go in recycling in my area. Each area is different.
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The industrial bins are for general waste. My cat was fed in the morning and he would go outside during the day (which he liked doing may I add). I had the biscuits in the bowl for him just as little snacks through the day.

So you put the tray in the wrong bin.

So you left food for other animals to eat really, as I assume you're not using a microchip feeder. How do you know if he was happy, you weren't there to witness him.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    So another person actually bending over into the large bin, pulling out a litter box and placing it on my door is not abnormal behaviour? Ok then, that is fair enough. I find it abnormal for someone to do that.

My cat was not disturbing the neighbours. There are other cats that went out and they all got along with one another.

The reason I called the police is because I have had previous complaints about petty issues and I do consider pulling out a litter box and placing it in front of my front door borderline harassment.

Regarding keeping a cat outdoors all day, it is each to their own. I find it cruel to keep cats locked in all day personally.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    It's a few cats, not a pack of Hyenas. It's a bowl of biscuits, not a 3 course meal.

Bearing in mind he waited to be let out in the morning, I am going to assume he was happy with going out.
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just noticed that your lease doesn't even start for another 9 months. Each to their own can't really be relied upon where a living creature is concerned, but then I'm not someone who just gets rid of animals as though they're disposable.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Youre out all day. You have zero idea what you car does all day. He could be sat on the doorstep, crying, trying to get in the door when other people enter. Youre not there. You have no idea.

Anyway you've rehomed the poor little thing anyway so surely youll have no more issues.

Depending on the reason for the litter tray being pulled out, it is not harassment and youre wasting police time.
  • allhailthekale
    Options
    Animals are absolutely not disposable but I have a kind heart to have him rehomed with people who are able to let him out as I believe it is cruel keeping cats, as hunters, locked indoors all day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure