PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Oldstuffday! What's your oldest appliance that's still working?

Options

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evil Olive, very jealous of your old gramophone and radios. Can't imagine any of the modern equivalents will still be usable decades in the future.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Evil_Olive wrote: »
    No, I didn't know that - thank you - I've tried finding information about it on the web before with no luck - knowing the proper brand name should help me bring up some results - thanks! :)

You're welcome!

I never knew until I met my future husband who's Japanese. His mum had a few National products at the time.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE Andrea, I am on twitter - but rarely go there; it's a thing beyond my ken! I threw out the stand after several months of trying to source a bowl :( It's still a great wee hand mixer though.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do rolling pins count? If they do I'm still using my great-grandmother's wooden one - must be over hundred years old.

I've had my electric hand mixer since 1979.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 March 2015 at 6:14PM
    Options
    I have some Christmas tree lights which are from the late 1950s I think. Dad bought them one year when his parents couldn't find their lights. I'm the 3rd generation to use them and I love the fact that they were enjoyed by my Grandparents. I'm fortunate that Dad stocked up with lots of spare bulbs from Woolies, although they rarely blow.

They're still in the original box.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I still have my Mum's Tefal food processor and a Clairol hairdryer that my DH bought me 29 years ago, both are still going strong.

We also have an original Atari, an Acorn electron computer from 1984 that still works,in fact I learned how to write code on it :D
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    I still have the same kettle I bought when I moved into my flat 20 years ago. Iron lasted 19 years until I freecycled it. I have a tricity tiara cooker that Ive had 20 years as well and it was second hand when I was given it. Ive got a toastie machine that must be about 15 years old.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a lot of vintage appliances. I find the quality vastly better than most new things. Some have been repaired, but many haven't.

Oldest thing is a blue bakelite hair dryer from the 50s, but that's rarely used. I have a kenwood A701a mixer from '73 I think, it's orange and chocolate brown and used most days. An electrolux 302 vacuum cleaner from the mid 70s, also orange and brown. Vintage electrolux are the best, they just never break. A swan kettle from 1978 and a similar age sandwich toaster. A russell hobbs electric coffee pot from the late 60s in brushed steel with teak handle, which I use every morning. The iron is from 1980, but I don't iron much, which helps ;) And a bang and oulfsen beovision 9000 from 1981, yet the picture is still bright and sharp after all these years and it warms up in about 10 seconds. It must be one of the oldest TVs still in regular use. Also have a beovision 7802 in the bedroom, from '84, but that had a replacement power supply last December, so not all original. We also have a hoover electron washing machine from '83, which has had some repairs over the years, but nothing major.

I'll stop here, but there's quite a few other old things hanging around. I'm glad my things keep working so well, but it's hard to explain how my old appliances just keep going for decades of daily use, yet buy something new and it's often failed for no apparent reason 1 or 2 years later.
  • bella165
    bella165 Posts: 13,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    My cooker is over 30 years old and my washer is 25 years old both are on there last legs like me lol #oldstuffday
    Replies to posts are always welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Brambleberry
    Brambleberry Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    30+ years - I have a fan heater from the early 80s, metal casing and fan blades, toffee and chocolate colouring - what was the obsession with brown in those days?
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family