Thermaflow and air source heat pump

Options
Hi.
We currently have an electric heating company electric boiler for heating and an immersion heater for hot water needs. We're on an economy 10 tariff and our total yearly electricity bill is around 2200 pounds and that's just over 17000 kw. This is obviously all of our electricity requirements.

We would like to move to a cheaper way of heating and initially I thought about installing oil. However I've looked at the thermaflow boiler with an air sourced heat pump and spoken with the company who, obviously, believe it's a great option and would rival oil for running costs.

I also have concerns that there will be enough hot water for a family of four showering whilst requiring the heating to be on.
Does anyone have this system installed and what are your experiences.

Or should I go for oil. Lpg not an option and cost of installation is an issue for some systems

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dodiddly wrote: »
    Hi.
    We currently have an electric heating company electric boiler for heating and an immersion heater for hot water needs. We're on an economy 10 tariff and our total yearly electricity bill is around 2200 pounds and that's just over 17000 kw. This is obviously all of our electricity requirements.

We would like to move to a cheaper way of heating and initially I thought about installing oil. However I've looked at the thermaflow boiler with an air sourced heat pump and spoken with the company who, obviously, believe it's a great option and would rival oil for running costs.

I also have concerns that there will be enough hot water for a family of four showering whilst requiring the heating to be on.
    Does anyone have this system installed and what are your experiences.

Or should I go for oil. Lpg not an option and cost of installation is an issue for some systems
    WHAT SIZE OF BOILER IS REQUIRED?

We recommend that you seek assistance from a local installer in understanding and assessing your precise requirements. If you need help in finding a local installer we may be able to help. Please complete the enquiry form....
    http://www.thermaflowheating.co.uk/faq/
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 June 2017 at 3:27PM
    Options
    Looking at the thermaflow, it's Thermal Store - ie a highly insulated big hot water tank which heats the water up to a a very high temperature and your hot water and heating derive their heat via heat exchangers.

The tank will be heated by a combination of thermal solar panels, immersion heaters and possibly a heat pump. A heat pump wont be able to heat the tank above around 50 degrees, I'm not sure about the solar thermal, so it will need to be topped up with mains leccy, via the immersion heater hopefully during the off peak period.

As suggested, you do need to do some very careful sums to make sure that the system is set up to to provide enough heat storage to give you sufficient to heat the house and your hot water. You also need to look at the costs, solar thermal, thermal stores and heatpumps dont come cheap and you can't really rely on the sun to provide you wilth all your heating and hot water needs in the winter - possibly OK in the summer.

You'd need to save an awful lot of money to get a reasonable payback although you should get some RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) payments to help offset the costs.

I would have thought that a straightforward heatpump system or even oil would work out a lot cheaper than adding the complexities of solar thermal.

Oil would probably be the cheapest to install, if you've got a space for the tank as you probably wont have to upgrade your heating system to cope with the lower flow temperatures of a heatpump.

It's a difficult decision and you need to understand the implications and cost of all scenarios - you need to talk to several different suppliers to get a better idea of what's available and what will suit your requirements and budget the best.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport