PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

All Gone Wrong - Housing offer.

another update, sorry folks. Not as upbeat this time.

I have two weeks to move in apparently and instead of a standard housing offer its actually a council property house swap. Deaf and dumb couple who need a two bed (they have a child) needs my place and I need a three bed.

But in spite of promising four weeks notice from the formal offer, I have two weeks. They said, well you knew it was going to happen so you've had two weeks already (I was told would have four weeks after formal offer had been made, was told end of last week no formal offer had been made.., but letter was sent 12th May). And we are moving in and out of properties on same day. And they can't speak. And I haven't even viewed the property cause that needs to be negotiated so no idea what I can take and what I need to leave behind. No inspections of either property have been done (which I thought was how house swaps worked). Just told to sort it out between yourselves but move within two weeks. And this 'offer' fulfills Housing's obligations. Very confused. How is this an offer?

HO said I could apply for a discretionary housing payment.., but not without a move in date and no chance of getting it with time to book a removal company. Because of my health problems, I don't see how I can pack up and get things sorted in two weeks.

So I have one option. Its all that is left. I've already refused the offer. I can't get any help. Already tried the community mental health team in an absolute state and they told me to find an advocate. Tried that a couple of years ago.. there are none in this area.

I must be supremely nieve but I dont' understand how housing can treat my family in this way. Maybe afterwards there will be an investigation, I don't know. All I can hope for. Why couldn't they offer me something workable? They just arent' listening at all.

My poor kids. But I can't help them. I've spent the afternoon screaming. Trying to find help. Trying to talk calmly, Breaking down when I couldn't. There's nothing.
Dreadful situation. Sorry folks.

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Deanna, you've been through so much and got through it, surely you can steel yourself to get through this next hurdle (mixed metaphor but you know what I mean). Communicate by notes?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    I understand your anxiety but refusing the offer was not the answer. You've now left your family in an extremely vulnerable position. Can you call back, explain you were panicking and ask if you can accept again?

How do the mute couple communicate with others? They must have ways of dealing with things, text perhaps, writing things down?

Once you have an offer write a list of what you need to do, it should help you to get things in perspective. You would be eligible for housing benefit for two properties for a short period (28 days springs to mind). Packing can be done bit by bit, one room at a time.

Please speak to your housing officer urgently to see what your options are now.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,062 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So they are giving you two weeks notice to move not 4?

I am not quite sure why this is an issue given nothing else has changed...

Either you want to move (in which case you will find a way to make it work), or you don't, so just stay put.

If they are deaf and dumb, take a pen and paper and go round and agree something.

There is always another way to make things work.

Friends? Family? A plea on facebook for help on a local group? Of you are in Oxfordshire, I'll help!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a regular customer at the supermarket I used to work at who was deaf and mute. He was absolutely lovely to deal with, and communicated mainly with gestures. I imagine that and a couple of notes would get you sorted, so please don't worry about that bit.

As for the rest of it, someone suggested a list - I'd add to that people you can ask for help with any of it. Put the list up here and perhaps MSE folks can suggest groups that might be able to help?
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Friends? Family? A plea on facebook for help on a local group? Of you are in Oxfordshire, I'll help!

I think Deanna has said before that she's in Gravesham.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 8:51PM
    its ok, sorry. I'm not communicating very well. Ignore my post. Sorry.Can't focus at all. Can't explain any more. sorry. Just ignore.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think you have communicated well. I also know that people outside any situation are better able to take an objective view.

I too think you need to undo the rejection of the offer and talk sensibly with your Housing Officer, using them to co-ordinate. I am sure they can help delay things. It's hard for anyone to move with two weeks notice, the other people probably feel the same. If it is a house swap then they can't move in without you moving out can they?

I am sure this can be resolved and I am also sure that these other people will able to communicate somehow!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,939 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Why is it so urgent to move this other couple into your place? Would it hurt the other couple to be in a 3 bed place for a couple more weeks?

In deanna's position I would also want to see the new place before agreeing. Just in case there is a good reason why the swap couple are keen to leave a 3 bed property for a 2 bed one.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    As above, why are they moving down a room size? Is it to do with extra bedroom payments?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because of my health problems, I don't see how I can pack up and get things sorted in two weeks.

You could just try and find someone that will work for a few days pay, move things for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure