Oh, the shame - I forgot to scan one item in Tesco!!

Options

Comments

• organic_wanabe
    Options
    I don't use the handset type of self scan system. However, I read with interest because of the number of times I am mis-charged by various supermarkets (always in their favour!). It occurs to me that if I made a mistake then I could be prosecuted. However, when a supermarket makes the mistake it is shrugged off (and in the case of Sainsbury, often without an apology).
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 January 2015 at 11:36PM
    Options
    I now have a mental picture of a woman 'riding' the trolley round Texo at speed, shooting her scan gun randomly at shlves in a Thelma and Louise fashion whilst pursed lipped shop staff look on .. :D

I,ll get my coat :o
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • usergt
    usergt Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I love scan-as-you shop. I am selected for random checks every now and again but it doesn't put me off from using it. I like the fact that you can see your total spend and you can check the prices straight away. Great for spotting any mistakes immediately. I have also noticed that if I scan and remove items then I am more likely to be selected for random check.
  • DODO_2
    DODO_2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've done this once with a carton of milk not being scanned as I had forgotten it and chucked it in trolley at last minute forgetting to scan - was picked for a check. Assistant just laughed as I was so embarrassed. I didn't get any additionally checks after - these things happen ! Besides if you were going to steal something it would be more than a bag of crisps....
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I was at Tesco last night, would never use the self scan gizmo's or go through the self scan tills. I like to chat to a real assistant, they are lovely in my shop. Makes shopping a lot more fun. :D
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I love the self scan, it gives an accurate running total of what you are spending. We do a Waitrose shop at the beginning of the month and have a strict budget so using the self scan we do not overspend by 1p. Not to mention why queue when you don't have to.

I have noticed that a lot of people genuinely don't like using the self service tills. In our local small branch of Smiths just before Xmas there was a massive queue, and we were advised that they now had a self scanner. No-one, apart from me, rushed forward. I was out of the shop in 30 seconds, the others were still stuck in the queue. I don't really understand what the problem is.
  • supermassive
    Options
    Scan as you shop is brilliant. Our tesco staff are mostly middle aged women who'd rather be watching soaps, or teenagers who'd rather be getting drunk. I've never seen or heard of anyone getting checked. It comes up on the screen and they just swipe it away and go back to filing their nails!

Beware of using it when shopping with children. My younger brother routinely sticks random things in the trolley without my knowledge so I can pay at the till. Then I get home, unpack and find a packet of biscuits I didn't buy...
    I can't add up.
  • In_Debt_Bet
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. Shop assistants on the tills forget to scan things sometimes too.

Or they get scanned twice, I often used to forget but now check my til receipts without fail since I was charged twice for an £8.00 bottle of vermouth. I dread to think how many times it has happened in the past that I failed to notice.
    Worrying won't stop bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good.
  • pem
    pem Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am surprised they have not installed stocks at the entrance so that they can birch people who scan the items incorrectly
    and pictures on a wall of shame
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pem wrote: »
    I am surprised they have not installed stocks at the entrance so that they can birch people who scan the items incorrectly
    and pictures on a wall of shame

And a Tesco Jail - they do everything else, mobiles, banking etc....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback