IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use other people's leftover parking time?

Options

Comments

• happyinflorida
    Options
    Our rotten MP's have awarded themselves 11% payrise - why are you even asking this question?!
    Unless you have to enter your registration number on the ticket - take it and say a big thank you and stop being so daft!
  • mrsk
    mrsk Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2014 at 1:54PM
    Options
    In my experience, this happens when the car park is over-priced. I used to have to visit Kettering Hospital frequently and their parking was for a minimum of 2 hours - a rip-off if you are delivering a letter! The same was true in Farnborough's multi-storey - much too long a minimum time. This results in the person who is feeling cheated wanting to hand their ticket on.

Generally, I'm not a rule-breaker but this one is caused by unfair pricing.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Some of the ones round here require the number plate but if not then absolutely I would. If they want us to play fair then they need to stop the thieving habit of having parking machines that don't give change. One day when I'm bored I'm going to do an FOI request to our local council and get them to reveal how much extra revenue they gain by fleecing drivers for change.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    spikyone wrote: »
    This, although even with pay-on-exit, you're generally paying a rounded-up amount, so the council/PPC is getting some money for nothing - my local council charges £2 for up to 4 hours during shopping hours, which jumps to £8.20 for 4-6 hours, and an eye-watering £22.00 for 6-8 hours. An extra minute or two could cost you £13.80!

That is quite shocking, that a minute or two into the next time-slot should cost so much, but it's still less than a parking fine or clamping charge!

I only use the car when I have to, and take public transport the rest of the time, but standing in the freezing wind / rain / snow awaiting a seemingly non-existent bus makes me debate my decision, seems like car users are penalised and public transport takes unfair advantage of this!
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    tindella wrote: »
    Well the food and drink have been paid for, presumably, so the proprietors are no worse off. Their employees probably eat/drink the leftovers anyway - and at worst, they get thrown away - which doesn't benefit anybody - causes more waste. ;)

When I worked in catering I wouldn't have dreamed of eating customers leftovers, and would have had words with anyone I caught doing it. A staff meal or a spare meal/dessert etc. that's another story. Wine left in the bottle sometimes went into sauces.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Playing devils advocate again.

The person who purchasers the ticket forms a contract and accepts the conditions, the council accept the payment and offers the service, and accept limited liability.

So council employee whilst working in the car park damages your car, would you expect the council or their insurance to pay you?

As previously stated I have given and received car parking tickets,in the past and no doubt will do again. I am simply opening up the discussion.
  • debbiesmum
    Options
    I have done this many, many times (must admit I have never looked at the ticket to find out if it is transferrable) and people receiving it are really grateful. They always thank me and my response is "do the same for someone else some day".

Pay it forward!!
  • Steve456
    Options
    If the car park operator wants to play fair, all they have to do is to use a "pay-on-exit" system and the users of the car park only pay for the time they have used the facility.

I get quite angry at the blatantly money grabbing pay-and-display system. Firstly you have to guess how long you will be (if you can't, then you have to over-pay to be on the safe side), and secondly the machines rarely have the facility to give out change (but of course will accept over payment!).

Although P&D machines in France (for example) also do not give change, at least they give you additional time for any overpayment.
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    Steve456 wrote: »
    If the car park operator wants to play fair, all they have to do is to use a "pay-on-exit" system and the users of the car park only pay for the time they have used the facility.

I get quite angry at the blatantly money grabbing pay-and-display system. Firstly you have to guess how long you will be (if you can't, then you have to over-pay to be on the safe side), and secondly the machines rarely have the facility to give out change (but of course will accept over payment!).

A particularly galling practice is that in places such as country parks, the authority seems to estimate the time you are most likely to want to spend there - such as two or three hours - and then make it impossible for you to pay a medium price for that, but give only the options for one hour or all day. This is so deliberately aimed at ripping off the public that I have absolutely no compunction about helping someone else out with a part-used ticket or benefiting from receiving one.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • Marcus_Absent
    Options
    If I have more than an hour left on a parking voucher (and it does not have my Reg No on it), I put the ticket in the dispenser slot for the next person to just pick up if they want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure