Shocked at rateable value - Yorkshire water

Options
Ames
Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
Hi all,

I've just moved into a two bed, 50sqm, council flat in Leeds, council tax band A. I'm shocked that the rateable value of the property gives a water bill of £550 a year. I'm having a water meter fitted asap (I've had one for years in my old property).

I just wondered if that sounded about right for the water bill? If it is then I hate to think how much someone in band D is paying.
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im not sure that you can have a meter in a flat to be honest, but fairly sure you can apply to the Water authority
    for an 'assessed rate'
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just wondered if that sounded about right for the water bill? If it is then I hate to think how much someone in band D is paying.

The Council Tax bands are nothing to do with the Rateable Value(RV). It is possible - albeit unusual - for a Band H mansion in several acres to have a lower RV than a Band A property; and thus pay less water charges.

Bear in mind that RV was assessed not on the value of the property, but the rent it could command. Also that the last general revaluation of RV was in 1973 and certainly before 1990.

The factors affecting RV were position, amenities, state of modernisation etc etc. So in 1973 the almost derelict mansion above would be virtually impossible to rent, but a newish flat or semi in a 'nice' area would command a higher rent and hence have a higher RV.
  • Ames
    Options
    McNeff, I can have a meter. I had one in my last flat, which is the same as this (ground floor, self contained, one flat above).

Cardew, thanks for that. I'd guess the flat was built in the 80s so would have been new and shiny in 1990 when it was assessed. Although I wouldn't have thought any property in Chapeltown would have commanded a high rent in 1990!

Is there somewhere I can find out the rateable value? I've tried googling, but I just get it for business rates, or links to council tax banding.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Firstly it would have been assessed on the date when it was built - not 1990. 1990 was when RV ceased for domestic properties and was replaced by the Poll Tax and subsequently the current Council Tax

Presumably it would have been 'all mod con's' on that date.

The RV will be on the water bill - it is extremely unlikely that any other agency(e.g. Council) other than Yorkshire water will have retained the RV.

Yorkshire Water charges are here:

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-account/our-charges.aspx

The combined charge for water and sewerage is £2.92 per £1 RV. On top of this there are standing charges of £44pa for water and £49(or £2)* for sewerage.

So if your charges are £550 pa, your RV should be approx. £156 or £172.

* The higher standing charge of £49 is for surface drainage, the £2 charge is if you can claim relief from the Surface drainage charge.

P.S. If you are charged for surface drainage - either metered or non-metered it would be worth investigating if you can claim relief - search for 'SWD' on this section of MSE. You might even be able to claim back for your previous flat.
  • Ames
    Options
    Thanks, I had a look at the charges pdf but didn't understand it.

I'll have a look when I get the bill through.

At least it's only been for a month or so, hopefully once the meter goes in it'll be back to a sensible amount!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a studio flat and water was £40/month, so I spoke to a neighbour and she said she'd been assessed and was paying £26/mth. So I went down that route - I phoned up, expecting to be assessed - and, instead, had a random man turn up at the door one day, with a meter in his hand.

He opened the cupboard under the sink and fitted it inline. That was it. 10 minutes and I had a meter. Water worked out at about £15/month after that.

The meter was a bit of a nuisance/in the way under the sink there, but I was renting, so didn't really care too much about that as I wouldn't have to live with it forever.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Thanks, I had a look at the charges pdf but didn't understand it.

I'll have a look when I get the bill through.

The bill will give your RV as a figure - i.e. RV is £xxx.

For every £1 of your RV you will pay 133.6pence for water, and then 158.5p for sewerage plus standing charges. So a total of 292.1p per £1 RV. So a house with an RV of say £100 would pay 100 x 292.1p = £292.10 plus standing charges.
  • aftermyownheart
    Options
    Thank you to Cardew for a very informative read.
    aftermyownheart :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport