DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8

Options

Comments

• ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mobiles are defo one of the areas to save money. I'm paying £15 a month for my Blackberry (Yes I know they're unfashionable, but I'm that kind of guy!). Unlimited texts, 400mins, and BBM, which is perfect for keeping in touch with my OH when we're not together. :)
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Sorry I know this is a really stupid question and I feel embarrassed for asking it but I really don't have any idea how to change over all the direct debits to our new bank account :o

I have been with Lloyds TSB forever so have never had to do this before. Can I do it automatically or do I have to write to each company, mortgage, council, British Gas etc and ask them to set up a new DD?

Thanks for your help :T
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • wannabee_in_credit
    Options
    Sorry I know this is a really stupid question and I feel embarrassed for asking it but I really don't have any idea how to change over all the direct debits to our new bank account :o

I have been with Lloyds TSB forever so have never had to do this before. Can I do it automatically or do I have to write to each company, mortgage, council, British Gas etc and ask them to set up a new DD?

Thanks for your help :T
    You need to contact the people you pay and ask them to set up a new dd with the new details.
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • AmyV_2
    AmyV_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options

Hi there!

Have you asked you new bank to help you? I thought most banks will organise it for you as they know what a pain in the backside it is.

Amy
    :)
  • AmyV_2
    AmyV_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2012 at 12:50PM
    Options
    antonic wrote: »
    Dont worry !

Keep paying as it reduces your overall debt.

Barclays referring your debt to their own inhouse D(ebt) C(ollection) A(gency) = DCA could be to your advantage as interest on debts is normally frozen when referred.

I agree with Antonic ... when my hubby's creditors are starting to up the interest again we actually request them to forward to a DCA... on the whole we have found them easier to deal with and interest is frozen. So if it were me I would be happy they were doing it ;-)
  • Chris_G77
    Options
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on something for me please, I've been on my DMP for for 2 1/2 years now, worked out something like 32 grand which is nuts, silly boy, but it's down to 10500 now and will be gone in a year.

One of my creditors was Egg, but it was taken over by Cabot. I recently asked them to supply a copy of the Original Credit Agreement to look it over. They replied saying this....

Thank you for your below email.

We can confirm we have contacted Egg and asked them to supply copy statements of account, however due to the age of the account we cannot request a copy of the Credit Agreement.

We expect to receive a response from Egg within 30 days and we will keep you updated if this is likely to take any longer.

We trust this clarifies the situation.

Yours sincerely

Cabot

Is this correct and standard or should they be able to obtain the agreement and what can I do about it?

Thanks
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    AmyV wrote: »
    Hi there!

Have you asked you new bank to help you? I thought most banks will organise it for you as they know what a pain in the backside it is.

Amy
    :)

Thanks very much Amy. Our account is opened with the Co-Op but we are waiting for all the paperwork to come through and am just trying to get as much stuff done in advance as we can, so as soon as we have the account number, we can send off everything to CCCS.

As soon as we have everything, I will call and ask them about helping us change it all over :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks very much Amy. Our account is opened with the Co-Op but we are waiting for all the paperwork to come through and am just trying to get as much stuff done in advance as we can, so as soon as we have the account number, we can send off everything to CCCS.

As soon as we have everything, I will call and ask them about helping us change it all over :)

It's all down to how much control you want. I did mine myself over the phone, and everyone I spoke to were really good about it.

You do need to time it however so everything has time to transfer over before your next DD goes out.
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • BlushingRose
    BlushingRose Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    Options
    Well done you :T:T:T

I've been at it since last July. Imagine how great we'll feel this time next year. In control of our weight and debt :beer:

I was a fat club for a while and lost 4 stones, but left and put it back on, plus another for luck, so I'm hoping that this time I might not fall off the wagon.
    I have a billion to lose but I'm trying not to think about that.
    Our LBM: Dec 2011. DMP started: Jan 2012. Debt at LBM: £41,568

Oct 2012 = Current debt: £40,548.93
    Oct 2013 = Current debt: £39.054.70

DMP Support number 424 - Long haul number 308
  • BlushingRose
    BlushingRose Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    Options
    Today we got a letter from CCCS saying that our old bank wouldn;t agree to the DMP due to 'recent customer spending'. The account hasn't been used by us since 8th Dec. The only movement on the account since then have been the bank chargin us fees.
    Any ideas?
    The CCCS say not to worry about it, but you know me :(
    Our LBM: Dec 2011. DMP started: Jan 2012. Debt at LBM: £41,568

Oct 2012 = Current debt: £40,548.93
    Oct 2013 = Current debt: £39.054.70

DMP Support number 424 - Long haul number 308
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income