PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options

Comments

• funfairprincess
    funfairprincess Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a huge packet of egg noodles just hanging around the back of the cupboard was going to do a sir fry but no one 'likes' it apparently and a bag of green lentils. Any ideas greatfully received if I can throw the idea in my slow cooker you're my hero/heroine.
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • bumpercars99
    Options
    I use bread slowly so put loaves into the freezer. I use it for poached egg on toast in the morning but don't like the enders for toast. I've recently noticed that I have quite a collection of enders building up in the freezer. I have about 20 slices now :eek:

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with them. I'm loathed to throw them out.
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    In a weak-willed moment I bought a dozen tins of Epicure Puy Lentils at quite a bargainous price. My intention was to transform them into something resembling Merchant Gourmet puy lentils in tomato and basil. I love these but won't pay the silly price asked for them. After two attempts I admitted defeat and 10 tins are still languishing in the cupboard. Any idea of anything exciting I can do with them, other than throwing them in soups or stews?
    Make a vegetarian shepherd's pie. Dice onion and carrot add to the lentils with saut!ed garlic and a tin of tomatoes, some herbs and a good dash of Worcestershire sauce and a splash of red wine. Heat it in a pan and taste, adjusting the flavourings as necessary. Then put into a baking dish, top with mashed potato and bake in the over for 30-40 minutes.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Can i join in? I have 2 jars of tahini that need using up and i only ever use small amounts making humous. Any good ideas for other uses?

I stick a spoonful in my smoothies instead of almond butter or similar. I've been doing this for ages as it's much cheaper...

http://thechalkboardmag.com/ways-to-use-tahini-recipes-seed-mill
    caronc wrote: »
    Coarse ground yellow corn meal - I've used it for cornbread and polenta type mush. But it is a massive bag so any other suggestions would be welcome
    Cake!!! http://www.marthastewart.com/337339/orange-cornmeal-cake
    In a weak-willed moment I bought a dozen tins of Epicure Puy Lentils at quite a bargainous price. My intention was to transform them into something resembling Merchant Gourmet puy lentils in tomato and basil. I love these but won't pay the silly price asked for them. After two attempts I admitted defeat and 10 tins are still languishing in the cupboard. Any idea of anything exciting I can do with them, other than throwing them in soups or stews?

Serve hot with roast peppers and fennel. Also delicious with sausages...
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use bread slowly so put loaves into the freezer. I use it for poached egg on toast in the morning but don't like the enders for toast. I've recently noticed that I have quite a collection of enders building up in the freezer. I have about 20 slices now :eek:

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with them. I'm loathed to throw them out.
    Breadcrumbs? Although I only really use those for bread sauce at christmas... I'm sure even if they're white bread you can adapt a brown bread ice cream recipe. :D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Linseeds - I ended up giving my bag to the birds :o (they were OOD by 2 years)

Harsh! :eek:

Did they show their gratitude by leaving larger than normal deposits on your windows/patio/ garden furniture etc :p

:rotfl:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »

Cake!!! http://www.marthastewart.com/337339/orange-cornmeal-cake

/QUOTE]
    Thank you:D
    karcher wrote: »
    Harsh! :eek:

Did they show their gratitude by leaving larger than normal deposits on your windows/patio/ garden furniture etc :p

:rotfl:
    No more so than usual lol:rotfl:
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh good, it isn't just me that has dusty ingredients!

I decided that it would take too long to bash all the linseeds, so I'm going to add them whole to some overnight oats with apple puree (I have a big jar to use). But I've given myself a headstart by adding a few tablespoons to a monster batch of smoked paprika hummus. I've also moved the pack next to the oats to serve as a reminder!

I know the Hugh FW salad dressing recipe MrsLurcherWalker mentioned, and it is scrummy. Having used all but 2 tablespoons of my neglected tahini this evening I'm minded to make it too, so I'll have a look for it as well.

Egg noodles - is there anyone in the family that will eat them? Hugh FW makes some good suggestions for "homemade healthy pot noodles" prepared in clip jars, good for packed lunches.

Lentils - gosh, I use them for everything! How about making some soup portions for the freezer? I know the merchant gourmet lentils you mean, I love them too but can't remember the last time I treated myself to some.
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great thread
    Tahini - dilute and brush on top of a crusty loaf (HM or bought) pop in a hot oven for 5 mins. Gives it that lovely "tiger bread" taste. Or add a tsp or so to Chinese dishes instead of sesame oil.

Linseeds - I ended up giving my bag to the birds :o (they were OOD by 2 years)

Coarse ground yellow corn meal - I've used it for cornbread and polenta type mush. But it is a massive bag so any other suggestions would be welcome

For your cornmeal - I have made this several times. Always been well received. Served with some green salad and sour cream it's fairly filling (also freezes well)

http://www.southernliving.com/recipes/deb-wise-tamale-pie-mix-up-recipe

Great idea for a thread - I'm sure I will be back with some very random ingredients at some point!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    breadcrumbs:
    proper old-fashioned stuffing, with onion and herbs,I make it and keep it by me for stuffing chicken (just make sure the stuffing is heated through properly) or stuffing balls - they go with any meat dish, or eat on their own with plenty of veg and gravy.
    look up Delia's recipe for Glamorgan sausages - I make them and freeze them so I always have a veggie dish by me, and they can be made into such nice sausage rolls that you have to make plenty for the meat eaters! I keep any foil dishes that I get, and then use them to gook Glamsausages on the BBQ.
    I also use stuffing as a sort of crunchy topping if I am re-heating and stretching some left-over stew or similar. They are also the base for meatloaf and meatless loaf.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure