List of Banks not doing contactless cards

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    May be someone could give me / us an update on the original title of this thread. I have just been given the usual "technological progress" spiel** by Barclaycard in response to my mistaken belief that with Visa as opposed to Mastercard one had the option to opt out. I believe that First Direct and HSBC still offer the security of PIN's - are they the only ones now???

[** to which my response is that in the event of the contactless card getting into the wrong hands, and these hands knowing how to take advantage of its limitations, the onus is on me, not on the card issuer, to spot and report the loss. Depending on the circumstances this could take some time - bank statements come only once a month and don't always get checked as thoroughly as may be desireable ...]

Well make you don't lose said card or use cash instead of cards.
  • parksajj
    parksajj Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    NatWest definitely don't allow you to opt out. This was my final straw with them after 5+ years. I started using my then second account with Nationwide as my main account. I have a card from them that isn't contactless (issued 2013) but according to their website, they now offer it. Whether they allow an opt out, time will tell.

Edit: I had a TSB card issued this year and it isn't contactless.

I wouldn't be proud of that!

It basically means that Lloyds see you as a credit risk.

Contactless technology is safe, secure and convenient. If you don't like it then don't use your debit card for purchases!! Get a credit card!
  • olliebean
    olliebean Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    parksajj wrote: »
    Contactless technology is safe, secure and convenient. If you don't like it then don't use your debit card for purchases!! Get a credit card!
    You know those are contactless too, now?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I do use a credit card for most spending. Contactless unfortunately, but I feel a little more comfortable with it on there.
  • Telegraph_Sam
    Telegraph_Sam Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2015 at 12:06PM
    Options
    "Well make you don't lose said card or use cash instead of cards"
    Rather destroys the case for using a card in the first place, contactless or whatever.

"Contactless technology is safe, secure ...."
    I've heard this mantra often enough now not to take it at face value. No one but no one has yet given me a reason for giving up the extra security layer of PIN numbers. Even a manager at MBNA said to me off the record that he personally would go for PINs.

" .. and convenient". Very marginal improvement at best in return for reduced security. No deal for me.

I hope the system can come up with a reasonably comprehensive list of non-contactless cards on offer. My Sainsburys Mastercard looks to be non contactless.
    Telegraph Sam
  • AlienSurfer
    Options
    Just contacted my provider recently as I had received a new card as the old was due to expire. New card was contactless, I requested a non-contactless card over secure mail online banking and it was no hassle for them - they are sending me out a new card without the RFID chip or antenna rubbish.

I honestly cannot see any reason for contactless payment at all. Zero. It is about 1 second quicker to make the payment than using chip and PIN, but without the security of entering a PIN authorisation.

For those people who need to keep putting their card in and taking it back out because the chip won't be read, granted that the card readers aren't cleaned and do play-up, but it's mostly a dirty card. I worked in retail and saw this happen so many times it was annoying. That and dosey people forgetting their PIN.

Up until very recently I would only pay in cash. I'd withdraw real money from an ATM (after checking the ATM over first), and use that over a couple of weeks, or until I needed to get some more 'money out'.
    I would only use my debit card for Chip and PIN payments in retailers where I knew the system was 'safe', which is a relative term as the data seems to be a target for hacking, encrypted or otherwise.

I do purchase online, using another account which I transfer the amounts needed into. Essentially, I firewall my online spending through this method.

I bank online using a LiveBoot Linux Distro, which I have on USB flash. Yes, on a non-recordable medium would be safer (burnt CD-R), but I have the SHA hash checks of the data on the USB drive, and compare before use.

Paranoid? Well, yes a little. But I still see no purpose for contactless payments. It's going to be an embedded chip in the arm before long...oh wait a company already does that to their (willing) employees instead of using swipe cards (Epicenter, Stockholm, Sweden).
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paranoid? Well, yes a little.

Very, and unreasonably, actually.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Just cancelled our Tesco credit card as they sent new contactless cards and they do not offer a non contactless option.

Does anyone know of a credit card which offers a non contactless option please?

Thank you.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:06PM
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Just cancelled our Tesco credit card as they sent new contactless cards and they do not offer a contactless option.

Does anyone know of a credit card which offers a contactless option please?

Thank you.

Barclays, MBNA, Nationwide, Clydesdale do

Sainsburys seem don't offer it
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Just cancelled our Tesco credit card as they sent new contactless cards and they do not offer a contactless option..

They clearly do offer a contactless option if they sent you one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure