MSE News: Citizens Advice issues warning over unwanted subscriptions

Options
Many consumers are facing huge difficulties trying to cancel unwanted subscriptions such as gym memberships...
Read the full story:
'Citizens Advice issues warning over unwanted subscriptions'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Has anyone here struggled with this?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "The companies" seem to like sign up online (easy), cancel by phone (as hard as they want to make it).
  • Caddyman
    Options
    I truly wonder, how many people when they go and sign themselves up to a gym membership or a magazine subscription, sit down prior to handing over their bank details and read the full T's and C's relating to cancellation? I'd wager, very few. And therein lies the problem, some folks don't read what they're signing up to and when they want to get out and cancel, the provider makes life as difficult as possible. It's been going on for years, it isn't at all right and there needs to be regulation (if there isn't already) to ensure people aren't 'trapped' into subscriptions they no longer want. As long as one gives adequate notice after the initial agreed minimum joining period, then there shouldn't be an issue. Sadly, the reality for some turns into a nightmare.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I once tried to obtain a PAC code from O2 via Live Chat. I did this via mobile, as I had a long commute and 45 minutes to wait for a train. They insisted they could only do this when I live chatted them from a PC!

They did give it to me when I live chatted from a PC, but not before attempting to keep me with sim only deals that were obviously unsuitable. I was moving to giffgaff for more data and O2 kindly offered me a deal at the same price with no data(!)
  • tempus_fugit
    Options
    Yes, getting PAC code can still be a nightmare, and they are not supposed to make it difficult for you, but it still happens. Luckily I have been with GiffGaff a couple of years now and I am very happy with them.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TV license
    Easily online, range of payment options.

Cancelling:
    Can only be done by post, you need to provide evidence that you don't need the license (imagine if your gym asked for evidence of not needing to go to the gym). Forms are confusing and if you get it slightly wrong you get a letter telling you the refund is rejected without any sort of explanation of why. Even if you fill it in right, they ignore your request for a BACS payment and issue a cheque dated in the past giving it a shorter expiry time.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I truly wonder, how many people when they go and sign themselves up to a gym membership or a magazine subscription, sit down prior to handing over their bank details and read the full T's and C's relating to cancellation? I'd wager, very few. And therein lies the problem, some folks don't read what they're signing up to and when they want to get out and cancel, the provider makes life as difficult as possible. It's been going on for years, it isn't at all right and there needs to be regulation (if there isn't already) to ensure people aren't 'trapped' into subscriptions they no longer want. As long as one gives adequate notice after the initial agreed minimum joining period, then there shouldn't be an issue. Sadly, the reality for some turns into a nightmare.

I was caught out a few years ago at freshers when a local gym was giving out free 3 day passes by giving them your details, I had enquired before about the company as it was newly opened (though part of a chain) I was assured if I gave bank details it would only be used if I signed up for the gym. I was given no terms and told SHOULD I sign up for the gym I had 14 days to cancel.

Decided not to join nor use the 3 day pass and 6 weeks later got a bill stating I had not paid my subcription, I enquired and was told I had entered a 12 month contract (whcih also was a lie made to me, was told they do monthly contracts) and as it had been passed to collections even though I told them I would pay the 6 weeks there and then and start going I was told the whole year was payable there and then and I would not be allowed to attend.

Sorry for side story but point was I was given no terms, and told it was a free trial.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I was caught out a few years ago at freshers when a local gym was giving out free 3 day passes by giving them your details, I had enquired before about the company as it was newly opened (though part of a chain) I was assured if I gave bank details it would only be used if I signed up for the gym. I was given no terms and told SHOULD I sign up for the gym I had 14 days to cancel.

Decided not to join nor use the 3 day pass and 6 weeks later got a bill stating I had not paid my subcription, I enquired and was told I had entered a 12 month contract (whcih also was a lie made to me, was told they do monthly contracts) and as it had been passed to collections even though I told them I would pay the 6 weeks there and then and start going I was told the whole year was payable there and then and I would not be allowed to attend.

Sorry for side story but point was I was given no terms, and told it was a free trial.

Very unfortunate and I do sympathise, but you've guessed it, there's a 'but' coming.....In this life, you get absolutely nothing for 'free', there is always a catch somewhere. I learned a very long time ago to question absolutely everything and accept nothing at face value.

The trouble is with your scenario, the people that scammed you, and that is exactly what they did, scam you, are professionals at what they do. They can and do make what looks like a seemingly simple, innocent 'offer', to draw you in, look legitimate. If anyone is asking for your bank details at an early stage just to sucker you in for a 'free trial', then I can assure you, it will be anything but free and alarm bells should be ringing. You definitely shouldn't be handing over your bank account and sort code, you should just walk away.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Has anyone here struggled with this?

A search of the Consumer Rights board would have found many such cases, did you bother to do that?
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    TV license
    Easily online, range of payment options.

Should have gone to a subscription model when the digital switch-over occurred.

A mandatory subscription to 2 main channels with frequent dubious output for anyone watching live TV (for ~£12.50 a month) should have no place in 2017 IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure