Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Yes DH is tracking the flight now so we know it left late. I hope he texts anyway, he did when he arrived at Dublin :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one who does this lol .
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad he's safely on his way :) I used to be the same when my two went on holiday - I always made them text me on arrival. Now I have to do the same with them when I arrive :)

Re the Mr T overspend, perhaps it will last a couple of weeks?
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I would love to be on a plane now!

It's so easy to overspend at the supermarket, isn't it? For some reason I craved homemade coleslaw, salad and jacket potato. I normally crave the naughty stuff so I decided to give in to the cravings and apart from some fizzy water, I stuck to the list. I went to Audi which is unusual for me. I don't understand why but I just don't like the shop. Not the brand, just the one nearest me. At least this curtailed what I bought because I just wanted to get out of the shop.

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    DS2 is in America now on his second stopover! It feels strange that he is so far away :o.

I'm not sure how long my supermarket shop will last. DH's blades cost £8 which didn't help :(. Hopefully next week's shop will be cheaper. I didn't buy any luxuries particularly, but we'd run out of things like dishwasher tabs and toiletries which don't get used every week.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    DS2's plane has landed in New Orleans but no word from him yet :(.

Perhaps he's going through long seciurity checks (fingerprints, photo, questions?). Hopefully he hasn't lost anything (suitcase, passport, wallet, phone?) :eek:

Or he could be in a taxi queue and forgotten to text us. Sigh :(.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    DS2 is in America now on his second stopover! It feels strange that he is so far away :o.

I'm not sure how long my supermarket shop will last. DH's blades cost £8 which didn't help :(. Hopefully next week's shop will be cheaper. I didn't buy any luxuries particularly, but we'd run out of things like dishwasher tabs and toiletries which don't get used every week.

Hope DS2 enjoys his holiday.

The blades for my DD's razor are £10 for 4:eek: but what I noticed is that often supermarkets do offers where you get the blade handle and 3 heads for £4 - not great for the environment but great for my pocket.
    I think they rely on people just looking for the blades and buying them and not noticing you can have the whole razor plus extra blades for loads less.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Yes I must remember to check if buying a new razor would be cheaper than just blades. I've noticed you can get 4 blades from an Amazon seller for £6.19 inc postage, so that would be considerably cheaper.

DS2 has arrived at his hotel :T:j:T. :jWe just had a long and verbose message from him "At hotel now." :rotfl:

He's done so well for someone who has never travelled before; a coach, train, three planes and a taxi! I'm very proud of him :).

He must be exhausted as he left home nearly 48 hours ago, so I'm guessing he'll want to sleep now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yippee to DS getting there . Have a less stressful day .
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria, such a huge relief :T:D.

I feel like DH and I have our lives back after spending about four days helping DS2 get ready and then worrying about him :o. I'm physically shattered and emotionally drained but we can get back to normal now.

I can't worry too much sbout what he does while he's there because he probably won't tell us. He's shown that he's savvy enough to travel all that way alone, so that gives me confidence :).

Now I want to focus on work, housework and money saving :money:

Incidentally DS3's UCAS application was finally submitted yesterday too :T.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure