PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• startingout2016
    Options
    We are still waiting. We have been searching since beginning of august and offered on a few places. Last house we offered on we offered £10k under asking and they are still holding out for asking price and rejected our offer(its still not sold).

We are having a baby next year so starting to panic
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aww sorry to hear that, Kilby! Have you tried leafleting? Has worked for people on here before. (May have missed it - the thread's long!)

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    I don't feel like it will! We sold up a year ago, saved to get a decent deposit and rented so we didn't have a chain, yet we still get railroaded on price! I'm really hoping there's a decent price correction going into next year. There's another property we've seen with similar renovation potential but is nowhere near as good (less parking, smaller garden) and is 100K more (325K). 6 months on the market and they still haven't twigged that they're being ridiculous...

I know what you mean. Some of the pricing is way off. A house we offered on which was rejected outright has been reduced and still on market...and still over priced!

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck. The one we are buying we nearly didn't view. Was out of price range and looked like it needed a lot of work doing. Terrible pictures, kitchen looked tiny, lounge/diner which we didn't want. But we made ourselves because getting desperate.

Are there any in your area/price range that you haven't viewed yet but could give a try?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Some of the pricing is way off. A house we offered on which was rejected outright has been reduced and still on market...and still over priced!

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck. The one we are buying we nearly didn't view. Was out of price range and looked like it needed a lot of work doing. Terrible pictures, kitchen looked tiny, lounge/diner which we didn't want. But we made ourselves because getting desperate.

Are there any in your area/price range that you haven't viewed yet but could give a try?

We've got a fairly rigid set of criteria (we're Kirsty & Phil's worst nightmare) so we're quite limited. Whenever a property comes up I check things in the following order:-

1) Check the area - we are looking at 4 quite specific areas in the catchment of good schools and near to the villages, so this further reduces the pool of properties.

2) Satellite view - how big is the garden in relation to the house - is there potential to expand and still have a good sized garden, workshop and greenhouse?

3) Floorplan - is it workable? We saw a property last month where the photos looked lovely but the floorplan was contrary (triangle and 'L' shaped rooms and botched extensions) so we knew it was a write off (although as we were desperate we did view it, just confirmed our thoughts!)

4) Value for money - taking the above into account.

5) Flood risk. This was the subject of considerable research with our most recent viewing.

6) Photos - quite low down on the list and we take very little notice of them because they can be vastly misleading (wide angle lenses allow you to see the whole room or garden but also make them look astronomically large!) but sometimes careful scrutinisation will flag up something major which you can then check out when viewing.

Ultimately the satellite view rules out an awful lot of houses for us due to the plot size which is why it's so high up on my list when searching. To answer your question, there's a couple of properties that fall into the "maybe" category that we could go and see, but they are vastly overpriced and in need of renovation, so it feels like a pointless exercise because we'd need them to come down 15-20% to make them worth the effort.
  • copperjar
    Options
    Well at least you are very clear on what you want. Are there any compromises at all in that list? Location? Size of plot? We've ended up staying in the same village we are in now which was a no go for me at first! But the house was worth the compromise in the end.

I guess you never know what situation the vendors are in. Could view and try a low bid if you genuinely think over priced. We offered £17k less on the house we have bought and got it for £15k under. Similar price range to you I think. I do wonder if we could have gone in and secured it even lower once I found out the couple had separated and were desperate for a quick sale.

Maybe it's worth a go? They can only say no.
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • sukavi2011
    Options
    Hi all, glad I found this thread, tho not had chance to read all replies. I am a first time seller after 30 yrs in same property and doing it alone. I accepted offer on house at end Sept and I am struggling to find anything I like. I thought I was taking too long but reading some of the posts it seems Im not.. Can it really take many months to find new place without EA or buyer getting annoyed as long as i keep them informed? Its taken me best part of 3 weeks completing and sorting forms for the solicitor, which I intend to send back this week, but I was/am on verge of backing out because nothing out there for me. Never been in this situation before and I think I am worrying too much.
  • kilby_007
    Options
    copperjar wrote: »
    Well at least you are very clear on what you want. Are there any compromises at all in that list? Location? Size of plot? We've ended up staying in the same village we are in now which was a no go for me at first! But the house was worth the compromise in the end.

I guess you never know what situation the vendors are in. Could view and try a low bid if you genuinely think over priced. We offered £17k less on the house we have bought and got it for £15k under. Similar price range to you I think. I do wonder if we could have gone in and secured it even lower once I found out the couple had separated and were desperate for a quick sale.

Maybe it's worth a go? They can only say no.

Honestly I think it's a waste of time. We're talking houses that need renovating asking around the 300k mark. We'd have to be talking 40K off their asking price to make it viable. There's a reason they've been on the market for months or years, and until they entertain the idea of re-pricing I think it's pointless trying, but I might just call the EA and see if they're thinking of repricing.
  • kilby_007
    Options
    sukavi2011 wrote: »
    Hi all, glad I found this thread, tho not had chance to read all replies. I am a first time seller after 30 yrs in same property and doing it alone. I accepted offer on house at end Sept and I am struggling to find anything I like. I thought I was taking too long but reading some of the posts it seems Im not.. Can it really take many months to find new place without EA or buyer getting annoyed as long as i keep them informed? Its taken me best part of 3 weeks completing and sorting forms for the solicitor, which I intend to send back this week, but I was/am on verge of backing out because nothing out there for me. Never been in this situation before and I think I am worrying too much.

It's a stressful time. We tried and failed to find somewhere so ended up renting. 1 year in Nov since we started looking!
  • copperjar
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Honestly I think it's a waste of time. We're talking houses that need renovating asking around the 300k mark. We'd have to be talking 40K off their asking price to make it viable. There's a reason they've been on the market for months or years, and until they entertain the idea of re-pricing I think it's pointless trying, but I might just call the EA and see if they're thinking of repricing.

Frustrating to see houses just sat there over priced. Might be worth a chat with the EA like you say. I really feel for you. I think 10% over your best price is definitely worth looking at.
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • copperjar
    Options
    sukavi2011 wrote: »

We sold on 4th August and didn't find anything until last week in September. We were starting to worry but had been honest with our buyers that we needed some time. I had provisionally given them end of Sept as a date and in our minds if we'd got to mid October without anywhere coming up would probably have pulled out of the sale of asked them if they would continue to wait.
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts