Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 February 2017 at 3:35PM
    Options
    We live in UK. Partner's mother had ANZ shares which were listed only in Australia. Many Australian stockbrokers had impossible ID verifying requirements. But Hartleys.com in Australia were helpful, and only required copy passport certified by a UK building society officer (ie a full-time counter clerk with over 4 year's service). Hartleys then sold the shares, deducted 1% commission, and remitted the remainder to her UK bank in Aus dollars, which her UK bank converted to sterling.
    A slog but she got there.

Dales.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Sjbi wrote: »
    @sabretoothtigger have you heard any reviews of tddirectinvesting.co.uk? they say they can sell australian shares.

Ive heard of them before covering many markets yes
    deducted 1% commission
    thats the ideal, nothing too unfair on small holders
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm wondering if someone can offer some advice.

I have a share save scheme at work where I invest for 3 years and have a choice to take the money or take in shares. Last year I took in shares and I will again this May.

My dad died over a year ago and his shares were passed to my brother and I. I am in the process of splitting these so they aren't in joint names.

There's about 6 different companies.

Is there a way I can have these all together so I don't have to keep looking in to all separate companies for share information.

I've looked at Halifax share dealing account but I need to deposit 1k which I don't want to do.

Can anyone recommend a way to manage that accounts, I've never had shares or investments and just want an easy way to 'watch' them.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    ... and just want an easy way to 'watch' them.
    I'm a little unsure what you mean by 'watch them'.

If you have paper certificates but want to be able to 'watch' the shares movement online then why not just create a dummy portfolio with the correct holdings / share numbers, i.e. Interactive Investors, Google Finance, etc, etc.

If you want to register them with an online broker so as to be able to trade (buy / sell) then there are a plethora or online brokers available, all of which will have their own pluses and minuses re AMC, (platform charge), dealing costs, etc ,etc.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • philjo
    philjo Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I was thinking of purchasing some Lloyds Bank shares.

If I want to hold these in the Corporate sponsored nominee account, what is be best way to do this? I asked the registrars (Equiniti) and they were not very helpful, just saying that I was unable to purchase the shares as I did not have an existing account.

or is it best to hold them elsewhere?
    most of my other shares are either in corporate nominee accounts or the older holdings held as paper certificates

Thanks
  • Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    I'm wondering if someone can offer some advice.

I have a share save scheme at work where I invest for 3 years and have a choice to take the money or take in shares. Last year I took in shares and I will again this May.

My dad died over a year ago and his shares were passed to my brother and I. I am in the process of splitting these so they aren't in joint names.

There's about 6 different companies.

Is there a way I can have these all together so I don't have to keep looking in to all separate companies for share information.

I've looked at Halifax share dealing account but I need to deposit 1k which I don't want to do.

Can anyone recommend a way to manage that accounts, I've never had shares or investments and just want an easy way to 'watch' them.

You could set up a portfolio on Google Finance to monitor the value of all of your shares. Free and easy.
  • fifikav
    fifikav Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good morning... help needed..

Had a shareplan with work saving £200 a month at .90 share option.
    Business has been bought out and share value now fixed @ 1.85..shares no longer on the market so 1.85 agreed.
    Had 4 batch dates with ybs ( last one being April 2017)
    Need my funds for various but serious reasons ...

Followed full process and ybs received my paperwork for March batch closure and payout. ( needed to be with them in the 3march).
    As I had heard nothing... called them and they said it would not be closed until April as it was better for me to do that and my company and ybs account manager had agreed that for all employees...
    A. This is my money and no advise has ever been offered or indeed given
    B. At no point has any communication been given from ybs or my company re this ?
    C.no one has ever reviewed my financial situation... it's a shareplan with agreed share value ?
    D. I have cancelled my salary payment to the shareplan( as per process) so how can I be better off... I am not stupid... needs must!

My company say they have sent no communication to rbs... the process and relevant documentation has not changed.
    Ybs are looking into my case...

I have spent all last night with an upset tummy and racing heart...

I need the money.... this is very serious to me...

Ybs are calling me back today and I have a complaints ref...

But I want my funds....?

And help on how to put together an email to them re my rights etc and how can I get my money... could potentially lose my house over this error ..

Sorry for the rant ... raging is not the word ?
  • Kriscross
    Options
    I have some paper shares in a LSE listed company that I need to cash in
    Could do with some advice as to how to go about selling these and the cheapest way to do this as the value is less than £1k Also would I have any tax liability. I have held these shares for considerable time
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2017 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Option A: Walk in to your bank and see if they can/will sell the shares (depends if your bank provide dealing services). Dealing costs will be high(ish)

Option B: Look for an online broker with a relatively low dealing costs and no account closure fees.

I am assuming you don't have an online broker already? If you do then you could use these.

I am also assuming you do not wish to keep the online broker account open and running. If you are interested in retaining an online broker account then, in theory, you just need to look for a broker with the lowest dealing charges.

For example X-O (which I have) charge £5.95 to buy/sell but there is an account closure fee.

SVS XO (similar name but different company) charge £7.95 per trade but I believe they don't have an account closure fee.

If you decide you may wish to retain your online account then you need to be aware of accounts that charge a platform or inactivity fee. Neither of the above two do but a number do.

EDIT: There is a site to compare fund platforms where you can put in what you need to do, i.e. hold / sell one share holding and it should give you an idea of the costs involved. Might same some time/effort in googling different sites.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Woodlands27
    Options
    My mother past away last year and I am settling her estate. she had a handful of shares in BT and BG which I am in the process of selling so the cash can be distributed across the family.
    Equinity are asking for £79.50 to process this; £34.50 countersignature fee, £45 administration!!
    this seems excessive, is there anyway to avoid these cost?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback