"Complete Savings" scheme

Options

Comments

• stemcgoo
    Options
    Saw this post after my post of tonight - suggest you read mine in full - if you cancel after a couple of days you will be missing a trick! The play.com emails confirming my purchases were enough for me every time with complete savings, I never had to scan a delivery note or anything. However, I suggest leaving a day between the first purchase that triggered the joining offer and the next couple of purchases qualifying for cashback because I managed to confuse them with too much happening on the registration day. Sorted in the end but they started to put the purchases in the wrong order for the different rewards. Playing it safe I always bought one item for £10 (or just over) when going after the £10 monthly reward as I never read anything that made it clear whether I could bundle a few things together to make up my £10. Good Luck - don't forget to cancel! - I set my password to "CancelByxxxx" so that everytime I logged in I reminded myself how long I had left to go.

Of course your in control, but if you know what benefits are available to you then cancelling is only a short term win. Have you been buying gift vouchers? Every month I get £100 of b&q or sayshopping or Argos ( etc) vouchers for £80 on top of the cashback.

I have been a webloyalty member since January 2011 and have £539 of cashback on top of my £10 monthlybonus + £20 saving on vouchers every month so I'd just recommend consider the benefits before you cancel.
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    Actually, when I finally went to send across my £15 application, it was quite straightforward - just fwd the TheHut sales email with my details (membership no. etc) added to the top. Got an email to confirm receipt plus a further email to confirm it was processing. Also got a third email reminding me to use the £15 bonus this month and reminding me that they will be charging me £10/month from the 8th October!

Thank you, everybody who had problems with them. A site that takes money from people who can't read small print and gives it to those that can is a brilliant idea. :D

@stemcgoo I'm cancelling as I travel quite a bit and probably won't be back in the UK again this year. I'm giving TheHut two more days to have something decent on which I can use that other £10 offer, but then I'm definitely quitting while I'm (supposedly) ahead. :)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • jimmybrid
    jimmybrid Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I joined Complete Savings towards the end of 2011. Having fully read the terms and conditions I knew exactly what I was getting myself in to and that it would cost me £10 per month after the initial trial period. I claim back a £10 purchase each month from Zavvi (which can be made up of multiple items at lower price, as someone else queried) and in addition buy £100 worth of B&Q or Argos vouchers for £80 every month (we moved house last year so these always come in handy). On top of this is the 10% cashback for online purchases from a large number of retailers, I have had cashback on a new washing machine, bathroom fixtures and fittings, golf shoes, cat food, train tickets...you get the idea.
    All in all, if you know what you are going to do with this scheme it can work really well, but if you just sign up "by mistake" trying to get a quick money off voucher it will come back and bite you. Go in with your eyes open and make it work to your advantage.
    And no, I'm not paid by Complete Savings or Webloyalty or any associated company :-)
    Mortgage 1 Oct 11 - £118k @ 1.29%(BR+0.79) July 14 £118k
    Mortgage 2 Oct 11 - £17k @ 3.19%(BR+2.69) July 14 £3k (£0 after offsetting)
    Mortgage total Oct 11 - £135k July 14 £121k (£118k)
    Reg Savers (6%) - July 14 £5.1k
    ISAs - £0.6k
    Santander 123 Acc (3%) - £5k
  • Sgibbins
    Sgibbins Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 October 2012 at 11:52AM
    Options
    Not sure I totally agree, I see the benifits but this is not for everyone and come one every one wants money off dont they? so an offer from a high street retailer like Argo's (who use these cowboys) is going to look attractive. The issue is have with this Company is the way thay are trapping people with the small print, I am normally pretty cautious and they caught me out. They are essentially making alot of money by not making it easy for the customer understand what they are signing up to. Just read the comments on their website! (getsatisfaction.com/completesavingsuk/topics/what_is_complete_savings) there must be literally 1000's of people caught out by the fact they simply did not realise they were going to be paying £10 a month.

Like I say I see the benifits but this simply is not an easy product to sell and as such they invented a clever sales stragegy to entrap people into at least getting a few quid out the masses that are unsuspectedly caught by them.

I am amazed that 'MoneySavingExpert' actually supports these type of companies as they probably only exist because of the revenue they generate from their 'clever sales tactics' to trap customers.. Very naughty really, with integrity in mind I simply would not want to be associated with a company like this in anyway.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 May 2013 at 8:00PM
    Options
    Sgibbins wrote: »
    I am amazed that 'MoneySavingExpert' actually supports these type of companies as they probably only exist because of the revenue they generate from their 'clever sales tactics' to trap customers.. Very naughty really, with integrity in mind I simply would not want to be associated with a company like this in anyway.
    How is MSE associated with the company in question within this thread, other than hosting a thread discussing it?

[Text removed by MSE Forum Team] This company clearly suck people in with their advert that is only displayed on completion of a transaction - its a shame the companies are willing to support them in this way.

Steer clear and use a real cashback site that gives you cold hard cash - Quidco and TopCashBack (personally I prefer TCB as its completely free, but sometimes quidco are offering a far higher rate, or just has a store that TCB that justifies the £5 expense).
  • stemcgoo
    stemcgoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    As for this loyalty reward company, it is so obvious that all the supporters in this thread are employees of the company - all new accounts that have registered just to back one another up. Absolute nonsense. This company clearly suck people in with their advert that is only displayed on completion of a transaction - its a shame the companies are willing to support them in this way.

Steer clear and use a real cashback site that gives you cold hard cash - Quidco and TopCashBack (personally I prefer TCB as its completely free, but sometimes quidco are offering a far higher rate, or just has a store that TCB that justifies the £5 expense).

Hey ic, is your iq really so limited that your point can only be made by inferring your counterparts are dishonest? Why is it that you think my only reason for actually defending SDR is that i'd be an employee? Yes I signed up to comment on the forums, but isnt that EXACTLY why anyone ever signs up because they feel the need to post a comment about something?

Total savings to date ;
    CASHBACK = £543
    VOUCHER SAVINGS = £1200 for cost £960
    PRICE PROTECTION = £50 cheque back
    PIZZA HUT MONTHLY SAVING £210
    SUBS FEE = £210

So since January 2011 i have saved over £833, nearly £40 per month in excess of member fees. Why wouldnt I subscribe? Why wouldnt I defend them???

Is it not possible that in some way, some people out in the real world actually do read small print, and really do get the best way to use schemes like those Webloyalty provide?

TCB savings are 5% for £5 fee
    SDR savings are 10% for £10 fee, plus Monthly bonus I get my £10 back at Pizza hut and vouchers at 20% discount.

Do the math ic. It works, that is why they are still legal and legit. Any case against them generally appears to be rhetoric and anecdotal, usually leveled by those who are burnt by their own failure to read contracts and t&cs.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 May 2013 at 7:57PM
    Options
    You can quote numbers all you like, but anybody searching your posting history of 26 posts can see that in 25 of those you've been defending SDR. Others within this thread have signed up and only posted here in support of SDR: MoneyBlogger (2), Midrash7 (1), Buffalobill1290 (1), pinkpets5 (1), VB01 (1), rphillips31 (1).

Why pay for a service that is available far cheaper/free elsewhere? To give your numbers a comparison, here's my own cashback earnings over the past six years:

Quidco Deduction (isn't charged if no cashback earned): £30
    Quidco Payments: £1514
    TopCashBack Deduction: £0
    TopCashBack Payments: £1716

TCB does not have a monthly or annual fee as you lean to above. Quidco take the first £5 earned in a year - so if you earn nothing you pay nothing. SDR on the other hand you're subscribed and will pay £120 per year regardless of anything you've earned, and then must provide receipts every time you buy from another company, then faff with cheques when the money is sent - so the system is made to ensure you pay up front and then have to go through a rigmarole to claim anything (designed to put people off). Any company that says "well you should have read the contract" clearly has no interest in the customer.

SDR [Text removed by MSE Forum Team] capture people who unwittingly think they're still dealing with the same company they just bought from by the naff flashy "get your cashback here" ads that always pop up at the end of a transaction.
  • stemcgoo
    stemcgoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 October 2012 at 1:29AM
    Options
    You can quote numbers all you like, but anybody searching your posting history of 26 posts can see that in 25 of those you've been defending SDR. Others within this thread have signed up and only posted here in support of SDR: MoneyBlogger (2), Midrash7 (1), Buffalobill1290 (1), pinkpets5 (1), VB01 (1), rphillips31 (1).

Why pay for a service that is available far cheaper/free elsewhere? To give your numbers a comparison, here's my own cashback earnings over the past six years:

Quidco Deduction (isn't charged if no cashback earned): £30
    Quidco Payments: £1514
    TopCashBack Deduction: £0
    TopCashBack Payments: £1716

TCB does not have a monthly or annual fee as you lean to above. Quidco take the first £5 earned in a year - so if you earn nothing you pay nothing. SDR on the other hand you're subscribed and will pay £120 per year regardless of anything you've earned, and then must provide receipts every time you buy from another company, then faff with cheques when the money is sent - so the system is made to ensure you pay up front and then have to go through a rigmarole to claim anything (designed to put people off). Any company that says "well you should have read the contract" clearly has no interest in the customer.

SDR are clearly underhand (as backed up by those who have posted so in this thread) and capture people who unwittingly think they're still dealing with the same company they just bought from by the naff flashy "get your cashback here" ads that always pop up at the end of a transaction.

Ic, for someone who doesnt like sdr you claim to know a lot about them! Whats all thisabout faffing with receipts? All my online purchases are automatically tracked via the website links. Wheres the faffing with receipts? Cheques arrive in the post promptly usually within 1 month. So wheres the faffing about with cheques?

Good for you saving £1700 in 6 years, I saved 800 in 18 months so whose saving quicker? Im getting 10% cashback and 20% off high street vouchers, youre getting 5% at best maybe? How much money did you have to spend to get your 1700? Damn sight more than me I bet!

And so what if 26 of my 27 posts are on this topic???? Im quite happy to defend a website that I value. I'll quite happily do so in the future, its my prerogative.

As for signinf up to post about SDR I cant be bothered competing with your anal ysis but i'd bet you there are plenty of people who only registered so as to complain on this forum? So are their convictions any better or worse than mine? Whats your point ic?
  • pipulator
    pipulator Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 May 2013 at 7:58PM
    Options
    [Text removed by MSE Forum Team]

For me, I clicked on a link asking if I wanted £10 off my next Ryanair flight.

No doubt Ryanair would point to the small print - like they so often rely on doing.

I called completesavings.co.uk on 0800 389 6960 and they readily agreed to cancel my 'membership'. A little more pressure and they fairly easily caved in and refunded the £10 monthly payment they'd been taking from my account.

Two points I'd like to make:

i) the ease at which completedsavings.co,uk refunded my money suggests they [Text removed by MSE Forum Team] are looking to avoid any 'fuss' i.e. keep em quiet by giving them a refund.

and

ii) personally I don't think "Money Saving Experts" should be encouraging these people. You might save a few quid but, for me, they, and Ryanair, are a morally corrupt organisation. Surely no-one wants to save money at all costs.

Hopefully, someone will find this post via Google and be able to get a refund. And hopefully someone in authority will get a grip and clamp down [Text removed by MSE Forum Team].
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    As for this loyalty reward company, it is so obvious that all the supporters in this thread are employees of the company - all new accounts that have registered just to back one another up. Absolute nonsense.
    Ummm... I've been here quite some time. Hi! :money:

I read the small print, grabbed £27 of TheHut stuff, got my £15 and £10 cheques within a fortnight of each order, and fired off an email to close the account. (That was about four weeks ago - and I do that crazy thing of looking at my bank accounts, and they haven't taken anything)

Not only that, but I had emails reminding me to take advantage of the offer, confirming the cashback submissions, and then one warning me that my £10/month was going to start soon.

TCB or Quidco might be a better long-term cashback solution (I use both of those), but for grabbing some near-free goodies, I'm happy. :beer:
    ic wrote:
    Any company that says "well you should have read the contract" clearly has no interest in the customer.
    As pipulator and others have said, they give full refunds to any illiterate customer who signed up without reading the contract and then paid for years (!!) without noticing. They precisely don't hold the customers to the contract. :rotfl:

Wait, are pipulator and Sgibbins the same person as ic? Seems a bit suspicious, looking at their post histories... :doh:
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure