We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hyundai 5 year warranty

Options
I wonder whether somebody could answer something for me? My car is coming up for it's first MOT and a service. However the nearest Hyundai dealer is some distance away from where I live. As such this is not convenient to get my car serviced with them.
However should I get the car serviced and MOT'ed at a local (reputable) garage would this then invalidate my 5 year warranty on my car? I.e. Do Î have to get the car serviced through a Hyundai dealer?

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Block Exemption Regulations. This gives you the right to get your car or van serviced wherever you like, providing that manufacture approved parts are used, your warranty is still valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Exemption_Regulation_(EU)
  • petbax
    Options
    Thanks very much :)
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    Worried Jim is, of course, correct. However, if your car goes wrong in future, then Hyundai may try to get out of it by saying non-standard parts were used and this caused the problem.
    Je suis sabot...
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    Options
    The sensible owner will IMO try to stay in the main dealer network for at least the warranty period, and, if you own a Toyota, for at least couple of years after.

May not be strictly necessary, but goodwill dpends on goodwill, don't give some don't expect any back.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do stray outside of the dealer network for servicing then make sure you get a detailed invoice from the garage stating the exact Hyundai part:

For instance: "Oil Filter £9.99" would be pretty generic and could be any old crap.

Get them to list it as "Hyundai OEM Oil Filter Part Number: XXXXX"
    The man without a signature.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The parts don't have to come in Hyundai boxes, they just have to be the same parts Hyundai put in their boxes.

At the end of the day, it's just a lot easier to use a franchised dealer. If you are prepared to haggle, it may not cost any more than an independent either.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Double check that the warranty doesn't change from a manufacturers warranty, covered by block exemptions rules, to a dealer warranty which isn't

Subaru give a 2 yr EU warranty and the third is a dealer warranty, or it was in 04-07 when I had my last Subaru.

The way a dealer warranty was explained to me is that it is only valid with dealer service history and even though it is basically the same level of coverage you can void it. And I don't think you will have a leg to stand on.

Double check it isn't this kind of warranty before proceeding.

Personally I would never have a car serviced outside the dealer network during the warranty, brakes, tyres etc perhaps but no basic servicing.

New cars have software updates and upgrades done during services quite often that don't show up as Recalls so if you chose to save money you will not get these things done or checked.

And to be honest saving £50 or £100 on a new or nearly new car costing maybe £10k or £15 doesn't make sense. Unless you couldn't really afford the car in the first place, which is sometimes the case when people can only really afford the payments and insurance.

Not saying that is the case with the OP, just an observation.
  • oscarward
    Options
    Our son had an i10 which had warranty work done by the dealer whilst it was in for the 4th service. (Changed suspension leg pad after road check showed knocking)

We had checked around and found the cheapest dealer or got our local one to price match so it wasn't much more than the local independent garage.

But it saved the hassle of booking it in for the diagnosis at the main dealer and then another day when the work was actually done.

Our son now has a i20 which has had it's 1st service, this pointed to some warranty work which has just been done. Each time the dealer collected the car and bought it back. (16 mile round trip).

So sometimes it's not money saving to use an independent garage, particularly when a warranty is involved.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Correct about the recalls, my Hyundai has had a list of minor recall items done, they always seem to discover the need for it while car is at dealer for service. My dealer is 7 miles away and they collect/deliver back for free for a service.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I know you have the info you need but if it was me (we have a Hyundai) I would stick with main dealer through the warranty period, we use a garage 40 miles away and have a day out when it goes in for a service despite the being a dealer within 5 miles of us.

The one 40 miles away is a little cheaper but more importantly, helped us out with an issue after purchase where the closest one didn't want to know
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport