Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Halogen bulbs in Kitchen ceiling blowing every we... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Halogen bulbs in Kitchen ceiling blowing every week!
Views: 20,621
# 1
mbailey
Old 17-03-2008, 7:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Halogen bulbs in Kitchen ceiling blowing every week!

I have 9 50W GU10 Halogen bulbs in my kitchen. Then were fitted by a qualified electrician 2 years ago. After they were fitted the whole house was tested, so I believe the wiring should be ok. (Unfortunately the electrician has since moved out of the area, so I can't get him back.)

I have tried buying expensive bulbs and cheap bulbs, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I find almost every week that a bulb is blowing and I have to replace them. The other week I replaced a bulb and with in an hour the same bulb had blown again. This time it seems to have lasted a month and is ok.

It appears to be random and not just the same bulb that is blowing.

I have read that you could have problems if you jump on the floor in the room above, but I don't think that is the problem.

I am considering changing the light fittings to 12v ones and wondered if the bulbs are likely to last any longer?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Millie's Mum
Old 17-03-2008, 7:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have the same bulbs in our kitchen and front room and we find that the blow really often as well (although not within an hour), my OH is an electrician we know the problem is not the wiring, we have reached the conclusion it is the bulbs, like you say it doesn't seem to matter what type you buy.

One thing we have found though is that if you buy them in bulk from ebay they are loads cheaper!
MFW Start Sep 07 79484, Now 66783
# 3
Nelski
Old 17-03-2008, 7:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

same problem here with the added irritation that everytime one blows it takes the fuse out too was wondering myself if there was a wiring problem but it seems to be the way it is
# 4
fiscalfreckles
Old 17-03-2008, 8:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have loads in my house, and an electrician told me that when you are repalcing them, you should be careful not to touch the glass face, as that can weaken the lifespan.

Don't ask me how or why!

Mine always blow a fuse when they go too.
# 5
mbailey
Old 17-03-2008, 8:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiscalfreckles View Post
I have loads in my house, and an electrician told me that when you are repalcing them, you should be careful not to touch the glass face, as that can weaken the lifespan.

Don't ask me how or why!

Mine always blow a fuse when they go too.
Mine always take the fuse box our as well, which in way is good as it shows it is working!

It's good to hear I am not alone with the problem.

Any idea if 12V are likely to be better than 240V ones?
# 6
catkins
Old 17-03-2008, 8:57 PM

Hi,
12 or 240 volt all have the same problem. I was told that it was due to the bulb getting too hot ie the air space around the bulb is not enough, wether this is true I cannot say.
# 7
basill
Old 17-03-2008, 9:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have some of those bulbs in the kitchen and some more in the office/spare room, the kitchen ones used to blow quite often until I bought some `long life` ones they were more expensive but seem longer lived.
In the spare room I have a dimmer switch with soft start ( B&Q) Although they do not get quite such high use as the kitchen I have yet to change a bulb there.

B
# 8
ceridwen
Old 17-03-2008, 9:34 PM
PPR

I couldnt be bothered with the darn things any more - halogen lightbulbs look all very nice - but they are a right nuisance for blowing at (very) frequent intervals. Didnt take me long to resign myself to the fact that a light fitting that takes halogen bulbs is a big mistake and throw my 30 worth of in the bin. I managed to buy a spotlight type one to replace it - though they are not easy to find now. I only had one choice in two finishes - but at least that will be the end of that and I will only have to change those lightbulbs now at reasonable intervals (has to be an improvement on changing them every few weeks - if I was lucky!).
# 9
Red Cat
Old 17-03-2008, 9:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I remember reading that touching with bare fingers leaves a residue of grease (for want of a better word) from your fingers on the surface of the bulb and it is that which shortens the lifespan. I suppose you are meant to use the plastic wrapping to hold them whilst inserting into the light fitting.
# 10
baldelectrician
Old 17-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cat View Post
I remember reading that touching with bare fingers leaves a residue of grease (for want of a better word) from your fingers on the surface of the bulb and it is that which shortens the lifespan. I suppose you are meant to use the plastic wrapping to hold them whilst inserting into the light fitting.
This only apples to the open type lamps (the flood light ones), unless the halogen spots you buy don't have a glass cover.

I always suggest 12V halogen lamps. I have 4 in my bathroom and 6 in my kitchen, and I change lamps every 2-3 years.

Buy decent lamps if you don't want to trip the MCB, OSRAM, PHILIPS, SYLVANIA.
# 11
nelly
Old 17-03-2008, 10:15 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: this is the longest location name in the history of planet earth you know. It really is isnt it :)
Send a message via MSN to nelly

EVERYONE I know has this problem with them.

They seem to be absolute pants
# 12
baldelectrician
Old 17-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly View Post
EVERYONE I know has this problem with them.

They seem to be absolute pants
The problem ones are the mains GU10, you only really get problems with the 12V ones if you buy cheap lamps or trannys [and the last thing you want is a cheap tranny ]
The Following User Says Thank You to baldelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
nelly
Old 17-03-2008, 10:25 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: this is the longest location name in the history of planet earth you know. It really is isnt it :)
Send a message via MSN to nelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldelectrician View Post
The problem ones are the mains GU10, you only really get problems with the 12V ones if you buy cheap lamps or trannys [and the last thing you want is a cheap tranny ]
LMFAO

Whats GU10?

I dont do electrics cos Im colourblind

Oh actually have you ever been involved in re connecting a repo house?

Im about to buy one and had a nighmare with the gas metre allready

Is it just one of them big fat fuse's needs putting in or is there more to it?

And have you got a big fat fuse to lend me for ever? and my address is in my webby in my profile
# 14
baldelectrician
Old 17-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Call the local electricity board and get them to put a token meter in.

They will put one of these in no problem and you will not get any nasty bills when you sell.

GU10 lamps are chunkier at the end, and more naff
The Following User Says Thank You to baldelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
adandem
Old 18-03-2008, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelski View Post
same problem here with the added irritation that everytime one blows it takes the fuse out too was wondering myself if there was a wiring problem but it seems to be the way it is
We had this problem and found it was because the bulbs aren't fused.

We changed them for fused ones (Osram or Philips are okay I think) and we've had no trouble since.
The Following User Says Thank You to adandem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Nelski
Old 18-03-2008, 8:29 PM

ohhh thanks just bought some phillips ones from costco today so fingers crossed
# 17
mbailey
Old 18-03-2008, 9:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly View Post
LMFAO
Whats GU10?
GU10 = 240v (Mains Voltage)
MR16 = 12v (Low Voltage)
# 18
ozskin
Old 19-03-2008, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

gu10's cr*p, but many sparkys like them cause they are easier to put in though proper sparks like the ones here on mse dont, we recomend only mr16 with quality transformers, one of collegues has had them for 8 years in kitchen and no replacements, mine in hallway changed 1st bulb after 4 years and these are on all nigh every night dimmed.
# 19
Steel
Old 20-03-2008, 8:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cat View Post
My hubbie went to a local shop selling aquariums and bought a little rubber vacuum sucker that is used to fit water heaters into fish tanks. It's only small - probably about the size of a large thumbnail - but it's brilliant for getting halogen bulbs into their fittings. When you've put the bulb in, all you do is squeeze the sides together to break the seal and take it off the bulb surface.
"carpe that diem"
# 20
Micky
Old 23-03-2008, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The GU10s do seem to overheat, the fittings get very hot. Replacing the bulbs once every three months in the kitchen. I wonder if the LED equivalent lasts longer, although 10 times the cost.