Tyre rotation

Options

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    What does it say in the handbook for the car regarding tyre rotation? One of ours recommends every 5000 miles you should swap NSR for OSF and NSF for OSR, the other car recommends fronts and rears be swapped on the same side every 5000...

That could cause issues with directional tires, unless you re-mounted them on the rim at the same time.
    (That assumes that tire direction is actually a thing and not marketing)
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    That could cause issues with directional tires, unless you re-mounted them on the rim at the same time.
    Yeah that's another issue with the vehicle handbook, it assumes you're going to use the same specification of tyre as OE for the life of the vehicle.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    That's despite the fact that they stand to lose sales by giving this advice.

Or gain sales from their competitors ... "Look! We say you can use our tyres all the way down to the legal limit of 1.6mm, whereas out competitors recommend changing at 3mm. Use Michelin, Save Money!"

;)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It not only is "a thing", but it's "a thing" that'll cause you to fail your MOT if a directional tyre is mounted in the wrong direction.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s04000105.htm
  • Raxiel
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It not only is "a thing", but it's "a thing" that'll cause you to fail your MOT if a directional tyre is mounted in the wrong direction.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s04000105.htm

Fair enough, I assumed it was but I don't like to post my assumptions as fact unless I've got time to check it first.

Raises alarming questions abut my last car that had new tires and an MOT done before I picked it up, and came with the tires on backwards!
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Raises alarming questions abut my last car that had new tires and an MOT done before I picked it up, and came with the tires on backwards!
    Both of them?

So just a question of swapping the rims from side-to-side. Very easy to just put the wrong wheel on the wrong side.

If it was just one, then the tyre would need turning on the rim, so that the outside sidewall became the inside. It's surprisingly easy to mount three clockwise and one anti-clock, too...
  • Raxiel
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Both of them?

So just a question of swapping the rims from side-to-side. Very easy to just put the wrong wheel on the wrong side.

If it was just one, then the tyre would need turning on the rim, so that the outside sidewall became the inside. It's surprisingly easy to mount three clockwise and one anti-clock, too...

Yes, both wheels on one axle were wrong, just swapping them should have been enough to correct it, but by the time it was pointed out to me, I was told (by KwikFit for what that's worth) that they'd been run too long the wrong way round and needed to be condemned. I didn't have the time to investigate at the time, so I just let them replace them along with the two it was originally in for.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I was told (by KwikFit for what that's worth) that they'd been run too long the wrong way round and needed to be condemned.
    Oh, bless 'em.

We'll add that one to the long list.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    ... I assumed it was but I don't like to post my assumptions as fact unless I've got time to check it first.

Are you sure you're on the right forum?;)
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Or gain sales from their competitors ... "Look! We say you can use our tyres all the way down to the legal limit of 1.6mm, whereas out competitors recommend changing at 3mm. Use Michelin, Save Money!"

;)

Except that nowhere do they specify the advice only applies to Michelin tyres, and the technical arguments they put forward self evidently apply to all brands:
    • ALL tyres will have better dry grip and braking when worn (compared to the same tyre new) because they ALL have more rubber in contact with the road as they wear
    • ALL tyres will give better response when worn because they ALL have less movement in the tread blocks, which means less squirm on turn-in
    • ALL tyres will wear slower as they wear because they ALL have more rubber to wear through in the lower parts of the tread
    • ALL tyres will have lower rolling resistance and use less fuel when worn because they waste less energy flexing the rubber

All those are simple and unavoidable matters of physics which apply equally regardless of brand. All they've done is be refreshingly honest and state the facts rather than the sales pitch.

If that honesty leads to increased sales then fair play, but that doesn't alter the physical truth of their arguments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure