DWP: possible reclaim of benefit after death?

Options
2»

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    gterr wrote: »
    He was 88. I did wonder about an income assessment period. We have no paperwork about his benefit claim. Will DWP tell us if we ask? Will the fact that my husband is next of kin and the person administering the estate (intestate) give him the right to the information?

He should have been on one since the age of 75. The DWP issue these notices when the see the value of someones estate published, and usually what they are concerned with in someone his age is, did he have any undeclared savings when PC was applied for or when the last assessment was done. The amount in his account at death should not be an issue.

Which bank was he with?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He should have been on one since the age of 75. The DWP issue these notices when the see the value of someones estate published, and usually what they are concerned with in someone his age is, did he have any undeclared savings when PC was applied for or when the last assessment was done. The amount in his account at death should not be an issue.
    Worth stating that some time ago we had a poster with a similar issue: it took a long time for the DWP to confirm that they were happy, but in that case the OP had to point out to DWP that they could not obtain the information being requested - bank statements going back to when the PC was first granted. This OP may be in a similar situation, ie unable to confirm amounts held in bank accounts at various historical points.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • gterr
    gterr Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options

Which bank was he with?

He's with NatWest. We found bank statements in his effects that go back to (just) before he was admitted into care, and these show a balance of just over £10,000. We don't have historical bank statements.

Savvy Sue: thanks for this info. Sounds hopeful.
  • DWPete
    Options
    Get in touch with the DWP and ask them to note up that you want some time to find out the facts fully from others... and with regards to your position with the DWP... that way you might get some breathing time. Either way it might not go away but if you keep everyone up to date that should be better. See if the DWP can allocate a case worker to the file so that you maintain the continuity. As you have sent the reply back to them already they should have made a start.
  • sammy1234567
    Options
    I had a DWP inquiry following my relative's death. I wrote saying ' I have written to the financial institutions asking for bank statements etc., and would like an extension of time to obtain the info you have requested. In the meantime, I believe that Mr/s X had an AIP, [ even if you do not have evidence! it is v likely there was an AIP as it was standard practise to have them for people of that age). and that the increase in funds in the bank account was due to [explanation.] in your cases the explanation appears to be that no one had access to the bank account and income funds built up, because they were not being spent, while at the same time debts were also building up, because incoming money in the bank account was not accessible so bills could not be paid, including care home fees. ] this explanation sounds reasonable to me, and you could attach the care home bills and if you are administrators of the estate you can get the last 6 years bank statements and this should show evidence of pension credit coming in. You can ask them to accept that your explanation fully explains the increase in funds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure