PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Price dropped without consent!

Options
Shockingly, I opened a rightmove email alert to find our house had been reduced by 25K without our permission. This was completely unexpected. It definitely wasn't a misunderstanding between us and the agent. I contacted the agent straight away and he said he had no idea why this happened and he will look into it. He changed it back to the correct price. The price was corrected online in a couple of hours after the alert

I can't find any information online about this happening to other people. I thought maybe the people on here might have experience of this? Even if not, maybe you can help with a few questions ...

1) Do you think this unauthorized alert will damage the credibility of our asking price? Would it encourage potential buyers to take a chance and offer +25K under? or would a buyer just assume it was an error and completely disregard it when making an offer?

2) What action would you take? make a fuss & report the agent or move on?

3) Could this be a sneaky estate agent tactic to market a property to a new online audience and get some cheap offers on the table?

Thank you in advance for your insights!

Comments

• ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, it was definitely someone at the agency, no doubt about that. Absolutely no chance it was Rightmove themselves.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Estate agencies are run by humans.

It would have been a mistake. I'd forget about it. No need to get Freudian about it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would expect it to be a mistake and mistakes happen. Not great, but if they are otherwise a decent EA then I would let it go for now and keep a watchful eye on things. Very much doubt that it is any kind of conspiracy by them unless you picked one with a bad reputation who is on a mission to put themselves out of business. I'm assuming that you did your research first?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Error made.

Error spotted.

Error corrected.

Best of luck finding a buyer.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's nothing.

When next door went on the market a few years ago the EA got back to the office and then realised he hadn't taken a picture of the front of the house.

He sent his young assistant back with a camera - and, well, you can guess where this is going.

The EA obviously didn't check the picture because the listing went on line/in the local paper with the price and internal pictures of next door (3 bed detached) but with an external picture of our house (4 bed detached).

The on line listing was swiftly dealt with, but the local paper had already gone 'to press'.

The (highly apologetic) EA later told us that he had had 3 'asking price' offers the day the paper came out - but other people came straight to us demanding to be allowed to view.

Annoying at the time, but mistakes do happen and no long term harm was done.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The eventual selling price is only determined by two people - the seller and the buyer. The EA's advertised price is just a guideline. No, I don't think a short-term blip that can be easily explained away will make any difference.

As to what caused it... My money's on the EA changing the asking price of the wrong property...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Estate agencies are run by humans.

It would have been a mistake.
    This ^

About 6 years ago, an office minion somehow uploaded a number of 'dead' properties formerly advertised by one of our local agents.

They were there for a short time. We noticed, because they came in via our local alert and one was the house of a particularly obnoxious person.

Our celebrations were short-lived. :(
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    Our house is currently SSTC and has now been taken off RM, but when it was on there, we marketed via one of the online agents, where you get full control over the 'back end'of RM. It's very, very easy to change the price by mistake, so don't give it another thought.
    I'd probably ask for a discount on my selling fee though to make up for it ;)
  • greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    I'd probably ask for a discount on my selling fee though to make up for it ;)
    You can ask...:rotfl:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's nothing.

When next door went on the market a few years ago the EA got back to the office and then realised he hadn't taken a picture of the front of the house.

He sent his young assistant back with a camera - and, well, you can guess where this is going.

The EA obviously didn't check the picture because the listing went on line/in the local paper with the price and internal pictures of next door (3 bed detached) but with an external picture of our house (4 bed detached).

The on line listing was swiftly dealt with, but the local paper had already gone 'to press'.

The (highly apologetic) EA later told us that he had had 3 'asking price' offers the day the paper came out - but other people came straight to us demanding to be allowed to view.

Annoying at the time, but mistakes do happen and no long term harm was done.

Many years ago I worked in an EA for a while, we had one house up for sale for several weeks with the wrong external photo on it...... it was part of a staggered terrace and the shot was a couple of doors down. The vendor had seen and approved the details and even he didn't notice! Went in the paper several times (pre internet). I did wonder why I never noticed the external hanging bell (from the picture) outside when doing viewings.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport