2»

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    A most informing lot of information.
    Firstly I do doubt that the council will assume an income stream such as Attendance allowance if that benefit isn't claimed. If it actually does then where would it stop? - force the claimant to go to a Tribunal if they are turned down?

If the mother already has an income of over £189 without making the AA claim I personally don't see the financial advantage to her in pursuing such a claim as it would all end up in the council's coffers in the end. Sort of a payment by the DWP becomes an income for the local authority?? As for most local authorities that are involved in the care process, I highly doubt that they are that cash strapped when you consider the amount of money that the councillors take for themselves. I thought, genuinely, that all councillors do the work on a voluntary basis. From my experience of my local council they have policy every year not to take anything other than some expenses to cover petrol, paper and ink. It is printed in the annual report that every house gets.

My LA insists that you claim every benefit that you may be entitled to for them to provide social care.

Surely it is better that council tax payers are refunded some of the costs rather than the government holding onto it ?
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    My LA insists that you claim every benefit that you may be entitled to for them to provide social care.

Surely it is better that council tax payers are refunded some of the costs rather than the government holding onto it ?

But surely if you do claim it but are refused it they can't make you take it all the way to a tribunal? What happens if you do win but get the lower rate but the council want you to appeal and go for the higher rate?

It doesn't really matter does it, OK, yes I see you point but if the claimant refuses to start the whole process, are you suggesting that the council will assume it is being claimed and if so at what rate - low or higher rate? Would they stop payment to the care home?
    Surely it can't be right that someone who is that ill and having to go into a home is being forced to complete these forms, attend an assessment and probably go to appeal just to appease the council? Ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure