Sudden 2G network shut down - Airtel Jersey

Comments

• PHK wrote: »
    Talk about a sweeping generalisation.

Smelt like a troll post to me, I'd ignore them.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can get them with FM radio, LED torches, alarms, stopwatches, CALCULATORS, converters and even voice recording. Mine also has a SD card slot as it plays MP3s.
    The Alcatel 20.45 can be bought for £5.99 from O2, another £1 to unlock it on ebay. Think its got everything you listed.
  • boatman wrote: »

Out of interest, which 'feature rich' phone have you bought that only has 2g on it? I would have thought all but the simplest of phones would have at least 3g on it.

I have the Nokia 105 (2017) with days of battery life but not sure exactly how long. I wanted it simple - that's the attraction. I wanted a phone as close to the classic Nokia models of a decade ago, like the 1112, 1200 or 1208, all of which I have happily used for years on end until they started to develop issues. I have used smartphones and they are too fiddly for browsing the internet and trying to use the tiny keyboard. That is why I have other devices (laptop, i-Pad, PC) specifically for internet use.

Part of the problem is that many phones don't make it absolutely clear in their marketing and specifications whether they're 2G only or not. For example, on the gsmarena.com website (a useful source of information) it just describes the Nokia 105's technology as 'GSM' but doesn't mention whether that means 2G only. I reckon I'm not the only one who doesn't know for sure whether GSM means 2G only or whether it can also include 3G or later.

I have also checked the boxes which my new Nokia 105s came in and there is no obvious reference to 2G on the exterior unless it is in the extremely small print which I can't read. Same with the 'quick guide' manual inside the box. Again, it may be hidden away in the small print.

I am also extremely glad I didn't succumb to temptation and buy the revamped Nokia 3310 when it was first launched last summer. It is expensive by feature phone standards and I now know that the first one they were selling was 2G. They have since released separate 3G and 4G models but it is easy to get them confused as they look so similar.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have the Nokia 105 (2017) with days of battery life but not sure exactly how long. I wanted it simple - that's the attraction.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to cause offence, but the world moves on, just as the wheel was invented and left some people behind. Please, try try to embrace the change - you might even find a benefit!
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    With 5G on the horizon, it's amazing that networks have supported 2G for all this time. It's too much of a stretch for a network.to support 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G.

Analogue mobile phone coverage (1G) was switched off almost twenty years ago. Expect more networks to end support for 2G in the next couple of years.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    You are relatively 'new' having made only 6 posts, sadly it's a necessary anti-spam measure to prevent post and run merchants.

I'm not aware of any network in the UK switching off 2G, save perhaps 3 who ended it's roaming agreement with o2 for 2G phones making it a solely 3G network. That was so long ago I don't remember how it was handled.

3 simply changed their 2G roaming partner to Orange.
    It is still active in some rural areas of the UK.

As they phased in the change, some people even had 2G roaming on both O2 & Orange plus normal 3G service from 3!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I was shocked to get a text yesterday from my main PAYG service provider in Jersey, Airtel-Vodafone, advising me that that they are switching off their 2G network on 1st April. Their Twitter page has never said anything about this. After some searching, I found a quiet notice hidden away on their website. They are offering a "free" 3G handset but it's not free because I would have to purchase £30 or £40 credit, which is way more than I would ever use before it expires.

As a PAYG customer, you have no commitment to them - why do you think they should be more committed to you?

I wish the UK networks would shut off their 2G networks and shift the capacity to their 3G/4G nets.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to cause offence, but the world moves on, just as the wheel was invented and left some people behind. Please, try try to embrace the change - you might even find a benefit!

Well I don't mean to cause offence either but please try to embrace other people's likes and dislikes - you might even find a benefit!
  • Well I don't mean to cause offence either but please try to embrace other people's likes and dislikes - you might even find a benefit!

I think what we are trying to point out is that mobile phone networks need to concentrate their efforts on providing an up to date 4G network and not waste time and resources on 2G, which dates from 1991.

Several countries have already shut down 2G, it’s only a matter of time before the rest do.
  • I was very relieved to learn today that Jersey's other 2 mobile network providers, Sure (C&W) and the publicly-owned Jersey Telecom (JT) apparently don't have plans to switch off their 2G networks 'for a few years yet'. :T

It just proves that it is not absolutely inevitable that all 2G networks must shut down straight away just because others elsewhere have done so. Both companies also operate in the neighbouring island of Guernsey (JT = 'Wave') and Sure operates in the Isle of Man, so hopefully that is a good sign for their customers in those locations too (although this strictly only refers to their plans in Jersey, not anywhere else).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure