Preapproved for credit card-being considered?

I just applied for my first credit card. I am 31 with a good credit history.
I chose the Virgin credit card as it said I was pre approved. However, at the end it said;

Thank you for applying for a Virgin Credit Card. We are considering your application based on the information you have provided, and will be in touch again soon. You will usually hear from us in the next 7-10 days.

I assumed pre approved meant a definite yes. Is this normal? Am I going be rejected?

Comments

• Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Or perhaps approved with a tiny limit, if it was a genuine pre approval.

Either way, wait and see.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    When I applied with Virgin I did the eligibility checker on their website and was pre-approved and when I went through with the application the final page said something along the lines of success and card will be with you in x-amount of days, but basically it was't the message that you got.

If this is your first credit card, it could be that they are running some extra checks on you. If you can, report back to this thread with an update on what the outcome is - it's useful info to refer to others who may be in the same situation as you in the future. :)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • I'll definitely report back with an update.

Frustrating if I'm rejected, as I only want it to help my credit score for a mortgage in future, not to make my credit worse!
  • I'll definitely report back with an update.

Frustrating if I'm rejected, as I only want it to help my credit score for a mortgage in future, not to make my credit worse!

Your not boosting your score but your credit history.

The score is a meaningless number that no one sees
  • Also, only the search will show, which is the same whether accepted or rejected.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Candyapple wrote: »
    When I applied with Virgin I did the eligibility checker on their website and was pre-approved and when I went through with the application the final page said something along the lines of success and card will be with you in x-amount of days, but basically it was't the message that you got.

If this is your first credit card, it could be that they are running some extra checks on you. If you can, report back to this thread with an update on what the outcome is - it's useful info to refer to others who may be in the same situation as you in the future. :)

Applied their 0% Interest for 32m on BT with 0.6% fee. Although I have more than 10 saving accounts with them they are still asking me for proof of ID and address. Anyway I sent to them but still wait for the decision.
  • AllieKat
    AllieKat Posts: 109 Forumite
    This has been far oversimplified. Scores aren't meaningless... But the score you buy is very unlikely to be exactly the same model as the one a lender uses.

But you can still improve the scores lenders use. Sadly you'll never see what it is, but if you follow good habits, you'll improve your score in their scoring models.
  • AllieKat wrote: »
    This has been far oversimplified. Scores aren't meaningless... But the score you buy is very unlikely to be exactly the same model as the one a lender uses.

But you can still improve the scores lenders use. Sadly you'll never see what it is, but if you follow good habits, you'll improve your score in their scoring models.

And achieve nothing at the same time
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AllieKat wrote: »

Scores are meaningless as far as lenders are concerned since they don't see them. The score is just a representation of how your credit report is but it might not be entirely accurate.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'll definitely report back with an update.

What's on your credit report ?
    Any negs ?

Rejections aren't on your report, just the search.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure