PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Removing my Ex

Comments

• K.A.P
    K.A.P Posts: 19 Forumite
    He was convicted of the offence, it was against my daughter so it is definitely correct. He wants something in writing to say i will keep quiet and not tell the public
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Doesn’t seem right that he can call the shots, he has obviously done something that is criminal.
    Think I would tell him that if he didn’t sell his share to you and let you move on with your life then if anything that would make you more likely talk.
    Why should you pay for any gagging order for something he has done, sounds a manipulative creep.
    You would think he would take his share and move on himself.
    Doesn’t sound like there is much you can do to rid yourself of him. Is it possible to get an injunction so he cannot make contact with you in view of the offence? If so I would be tempted to give him his proceeds when it suited you not him. Though not sure if that means he should be contributing to the mortgage until you do well?
    Sounds a nightmare, hope you get it resolved.

Though unfortunately
    Money SPENDING Expert

• Well if it was against my child I would be telling whoever he comes into contact with and sod the money! What if he does it again??

My abusive ex said he would give me equity from the home if I allowed him parental rights. Never in a month of Sunday's I would rather go without.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    K.A.P wrote: »
    He was convicted of the offence, it was against my daughter so it is definitely correct. He wants something in writing to say i will keep quiet and not tell the public
    As part of that was there not a restraining order? If you want no further contact you could apply for a non-mol order.

The simple question is this: are you planning on telling people?
  • Comms69
    Well if it was against my child I would be telling whoever he comes into contact with and sod the money! What if he does it again??

My abusive ex said he would give me equity from the home if I allowed him parental rights. Never in a month of Sunday's I would rather go without.

I don't know your whole situation, but if he is biological dad, the court would award that in 9/10 cases.
  • Also, thinking about it. If he was convicted it should be in the public domain.

Who is to say "somebody else" Cannot tell everybody about his dirty secrets even if you did sign
    I still wouldn't let him bully me though. He is just trying to control you.
  • Comms69
    Also, thinking about it. If he was convicted it should be in the public domain.

Who is to say "somebody else" Cannot tell everybody about his dirty secrets even if you did sign
    I still wouldn't let him bully me though. He is just trying to control you.

Where a child is involved the case is often not reported. As this would identify the victim.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    I don't know your whole situation, but if he is biological dad, the court would award that in 9/10 cases.

I can assure you he would not be awarded it.

It is irrelevant now as my son is 16 and has seen the light. I tried to shelter him as much as possible but allowed contact as I always thought it was immoral to deny him a relationship with his father.

The things he had to put up with in those contact days caused him a breakdown and he had to undergo counselling.

If I had my time again I would have disappeared with my son and sod everybody telling me the right thing to do..they do not have to pick up the pieces years down the line with a very damaged young man.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2018 at 2:34PM
    I'd be doing whatever I had to to get him out of involvement with what is basically my house and retrieve the money I had invested in it.

Presumably any gagging order would be against you alone? and not against your daughter. Well - when your daughter reaches 18 it's up to her (and her alone actually) what she does or doesnt say about this character. I don't suppose the gagging order would cover what your child does or doesnt say? Your child might decide to say nothing about him at this moment in time - and that's her right to make that decision. Your child might, equally, decide to stick it on the front page of the national newspapers at some point in her life - and that is also her decision to make.

From what you say - sign a gagging order - as long as it binds YOU alone. Then it's up to your child beyond that as to what she does or doesnt wish to say about this character.

Your child might be most upset if you make what is HER decision and Her decision alone on her behalf.
  • K.A.P
    K.A.P Posts: 19 Forumite
    The money i don't care, if it buys our freedom from him that is fine. It is the gagging order that bothers me, he can only tie me but he is trying to make me not tell or he wont let me buy him out the house.

The law is useless, he had a restraining order whilst he was on licence but now he is just on the list there is no such order, (this i was only told last week).

He has made it clear he can contact us, this we don't want. But have to sort the house or we will be tied to him forever
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure