Anyone know the process of what happens with the car after part exchange?

Jlawson118
Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Obviously every car dealership is different, but I'm just curious.

Long story short, two weeks ago I part exchanged my six year old Corsa at my local Audi dealership when buying a six month old A3.

When part changing the Corsa, I completely forgot I had my AA car genie plugged into the diagnostics socket. It's not something I'll miss as I left the AA a few months ago anyway, my new car also came with breakdown cover as part of the deal. But I was curious as to where my old car ended up, and to my surprise there's a big log of short journeys on the car. Such as being moved around the Audi Forecourt and then all of a sudden the car appeared in Luton.

But I'm puzzled as to why two weeks later, moved onto another car dealership's lot, and moved around a number of times since, why the diagnostics of the car haven't been checked? I know it's my old car and isn't really my concern anymore, but this suggests to me that car dealerships aren't testing car diagnostics and so to a consumer, do we really know what we're getting? I mean the car does drive, but I've had numerous faults with it in the past that have failed to show symptoms, one example was when I had a corroded coil pack. The car still started and drove fine. But I honestly did have quite a few issues with the car throughout my time with it, which makes me wonder if the dealership I bought it from even bothered to check the car. And even though my new Audi is only a few months old, how do I know that's even been checked?

So what usually is the process of selling/partexing a car? Because to me it seems like Audi sold it onto a company, now they'll try sell it onto a customer? I just don't know. But I'm quite curious :cool:

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Audi will either sell it on to another dealer whose target market suits or it will go to auction.

What checks are done will depend on the dealer and will vary from comprehensive to none!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    No Audi dealer is going to bother trying to retail a 6yo Corsa. Straight to auction.

I bet your AA thingy didn't even remain plugged into the OBD port that long. It's in a bin somewhere, as the useless bit of guff it is.

Since you bought a car through Audi's approved-used scheme, then https://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/why-buy-approved.html explains the checks it went through.
  • Jlawson118
    AdrianC wrote: »
    No Audi dealer is going to bother trying to retail a 6yo Corsa. Straight to auction.

I bet your AA thingy didn't even remain plugged into the OBD port that long. It's in a bin somewhere, as the useless bit of guff it is.

Since you bought a car through Audi's approved-used scheme, then https://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/why-buy-approved.html explains the checks it went through.

Oh I knew Audi wouldn't sell the Corsa themselves, I said myself a few days after collecting the car that I can imagine it'll soon be gone because it was an eyesore to Audi :rotfl:

But this is my point about the AA device, it's still plugged in even today! The car ended up in Luton last Friday I believe, and yet a few times this week it's been moved around, 17:30 this evening being the last movement, so it's not binned
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Ah, I'm with you know...

Well, if there's no fault codes being shown via the engine management light, why bother read for them?
  • Jlawson118
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Ah, I'm with you know...

Well, if there's no fault codes being shown via the engine management light, why bother read for them?

Well that's true. Although saying that, when I mentioned my corroded coil pack in the original post, that didn't show the Engine Management light either.

It was one weird car. I'm glad to be shut of it :rotfl:
  • It gets valeted, stuck on the forecourt with £1,000 mark up and the next purchaser checks it.
  • mbwoy84
    mbwoy84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    It’s at an auction.

There are several large auction houses in and around Luton.

The sites are quite large, so will be moved about a bit.

If it’s only 6 years old it will get more checks by one of the larger auction houses than most cars. BCA for example will carry out a full cosmetic check inside and outside and upload the check sheet online. For that age, they also get a full mechanical inspection report by the AA, which is uploaded for potential purchasers to view. Stating if they feel any issues with noise from the engine bay, engaging first and reverse, noise at start up, any warning light on, low levels etc, but they still don’t plug any diagnostic readers in.
  • Jlawson118
    mbwoy84 wrote: »
    It’s at an auction.

There are several large auction houses in and around Luton.

The sites are quite large, so will be moved about a bit.

If it’s only 6 years old it will get more checks by one of the larger auction houses than most cars. BCA for example will carry out a full cosmetic check inside and outside and upload the check sheet online. For that age, they also get a full mechanical inspection report by the AA, which is uploaded for potential purchasers to view. Stating if they feel any issues with noise from the engine bay, engaging first and reverse, noise at start up, any warning light on, low levels etc, but they still don’t plug any diagnostic readers in.

So does this pretty much mean somebody is going to end up buying this car and it's still got a device plugged into it that basically tracks the vehicle?
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    So does this pretty much mean somebody is going to end up buying this car and it's still got a device plugged into it that basically tracks the vehicle?
    Someone already has - the dealer!

An idle thought - I wonder what sort of offence, if any, you might be committing by monitoring the car?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    Obviously every car dealership is different, but I'm just curious.

Long story short, two weeks ago I part exchanged my six year old Corsa at my local Audi dealership when buying a six month old A3.

When part changing the Corsa, I completely forgot I had my AA car genie plugged into the diagnostics socket. It's not something I'll miss as I left the AA a few months ago anyway, my new car also came with breakdown cover as part of the deal. But I was curious as to where my old car ended up, and to my surprise there's a big log of short journeys on the car. Such as being moved around the Audi Forecourt and then all of a sudden the car appeared in Luton.

But I'm puzzled as to why two weeks later, moved onto another car dealership's lot, and moved around a number of times since, why the diagnostics of the car haven't been checked? I know it's my old car and isn't really my concern anymore, but this suggests to me that car dealerships aren't testing car diagnostics and so to a consumer, do we really know what we're getting? I mean the car does drive, but I've had numerous faults with it in the past that have failed to show symptoms, one example was when I had a corroded coil pack. The car still started and drove fine. But I honestly did have quite a few issues with the car throughout my time with it, which makes me wonder if the dealership I bought it from even bothered to check the car. And even though my new Audi is only a few months old, how do I know that's even been checked?

So what usually is the process of selling/partexing a car? Because to me it seems like Audi sold it onto a company, now they'll try sell it onto a customer? I just don't know. But I'm quite curious :cool:

So it does have an inbuilt mobile connection that allows you to remotely track the vehicle. When you started a thread about this and i checked the site it made no mention of having it's own data connection to allow you to do this.

The AA representative even said you had to use WIFI or phone data to make it work. When what they should have said is that it connects to mobile network by itself.
    Car Genie doesn't connect to Bluetooth to work it will use WIFI or phone data. Customers’ phones will still work as normal, using regular features.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure