Worrying Amazon voucher issue.

Gonna try and keep this short and I hope it's in the right forum.

Over the last month I have purchased Amazon E-vouchers as gifts for 2 people and shared them using Amazons "Share via messaging" option.

The first time, when my niece tried to redeem her voucher she couldn't as it was showing as already redeemed. I contacted Amazon and they were great, refunded straight away.

Just before Xmas I did a voucher for another family member. The same happened, showing as already redeemed.

I am starting to get worried, how is this possible? I contacted amazon again and again they refunded straight away. However, they would not give me any information about how and who was redeeming my vouchers, citing data protection etc.

I explained that I was very concerned. Was there a security issue with my Facebook messenger? Was there a security issue within Amazon?
As far as I was concerned I was a victim of a crime and felt I should be given at least some details. They would not even tell me which country the account number the vouchers were redeemed into was in.

Anyway so yesterday I arranged a replacement voucher for the family member and guess what? for the 3rd time it was redeemed by an account holder other than the person I sent it to. Amazon confirmed this but again refused to give me any details.

Finally I managed to get a voucher to this person by asking them to stay on messenger whilst I purchased it and getting them to redeem it as soon as it arrived.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Am I not within my rights to demand some information regarding the fraudulent use of vouchers which I purchased?

Many thanks

Craig.

Comments

• Absolutely not. It's an issue for Amazon to resolve.

They just need to ensure you are not out of pocket.
  • Really. If someone was ripping you off would you not like to know who it was and how they were doing it?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Really. If someone was ripping you off would you not like to know who it was and how they were doing it?

Of course most people would want to know but that doesn’t mean you are legally entitled to the information. Amazon have to abide by data protection laws, even when its potentially data belonging to a hacker/scammer. Only a court can demand the information be passed on to another party.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Really. If someone was ripping you off would you not like to know who it was and how they were doing it?

Are they ripping you off or are they ripping amazon off? Have amazon said that its fraudulent usage or perhaps is it just an issue caused by them recycling voucher numbers.

Either way, thats some stroke of bad luck to have had 3 instances of someone using the card after you had purchased it but before the recipient could use it. I imagine amazon would pass over any relevant information they hold (such as account holder details, delivery address, any payment details) to the police - but theres no reason for them to provide the details to you.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Amazon aren't going to know how the person who redeemed it got a hold of the code. There isn't much information they could provide you with that would really be helpful to you.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you changed your Facebook password since this has happened to make sure no-one has access to your account?.

Once you do this i would also got into the settings on Facebook and log out of all devices and then setup two factor authentication on your account. At least you then know your account is secure.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Three vouches 3 claims, are you sure you still have an account with Amazon. This is going to end badly for you, they ban accounts for suspicious activity, this is certainly looking like that.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Next time you buy a voucher, can you get the code emailed directly to the recipient? That's what I normally do. Then if it's already been redeemed you'll know it's a problem within Amazon rather than something to do with Facebook or your computer/device.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Oddly, when companies tell their customers all the ways that people can commit fraud against them, more people commit fraud against them...
  • To be honest, I'm surprised it's gone this way. I thought I had the moral high ground. Not so sure now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure