Nuisance due to laminate flooring

Options

Comments

• Richard_Z
    Options
    They say it has never been replaced but I can't prove it. The fact that I barely heard the 1st tenant for 4 years makes me believe the property was carpeted.
  • Richard_Z
    Options
    Right, something bad has just happened.
    The new tenants have dropped something heavy on the floor just above my living room and I could literally see the ceiling vibrating and lights shaking.
    I honestly believe this flat block has been poorly built, hence it requires carpet on all floors but the property management does not care, they just want the money.
    It looks like that poorly built floor joists deteriorate over time and vibration (sounds like someone playing music with heavy bass) transmission becomes more noticeable.
    The use of laminate flooring just makes things worse, it should be totally banned except on the 1st floor.

I'm still confused about the jurisdiction, at this point I'm not sure whether the developer is at fault, or the landlord. The landlord could do better but the problem is that there is no legal requirement for him to fit carpet.

Never though this could happen in such developed country as the UK.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    Are you American? We refer to the floor at ground level as the ground floor. The first floor is the next floor up. If you refer to the floors incorrectly to the agent, landlord tenant etc, you will confuse matters greatly.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd move. I know its inconvenient but so is being miserable in your own home.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Richard_Z wrote: »
    The new tenants have dropped something heavy on the floor just above my living room and I could literally see the ceiling vibrating and lights shaking.
    I honestly believe this flat block has been poorly built, hence it requires carpet on all floors
    Carpet with thick underlay will not dampen impacts heavy enough to move the ceiling. Your problem sounds like ignorant neighbours.

I've got carpet and laminate in different rooms. In both rooms I can make the floor move and annoy the neighbours very easily.
    Try talking to your new neighbours about this.
  • Richard_Z
    Options
    Loanranger wrote: »
    Are you American? We refer to the floor at ground level as the ground floor. The first floor is the next floor up. If you refer to the floors incorrectly to the agent, landlord tenant etc, you will confuse matters greatly.

I'm Canadian, but I'm referring it as 1st floor because in this building the ground floor is the car park (similar to many Tesco Extra stores).
  • Richard_Z
    Options
    Carpet with thick underlay will not dampen impacts heavy enough to move the ceiling. Your problem sounds like ignorant neighbours.

I've got carpet and laminate in different rooms. In both rooms I can make the floor move and annoy the neighbours very easily.
    Try talking to your new neighbours about this.

Dropping things accidentally happens, that's not the issue. I'm concerned about the structure, I've lived in many flats with concrete floor and felt no vibration whatsoever. It is simply not acceptable for a 10 year old building with modern standards to experience a vibrating ceiling.

Also, I've been checking other flats within the same development and I’ve viewed one on the 4th floor, the floor really feels different, even with thick carpet I could hear wood squeaking on some parts of the living room. Fortunately the apartment above is carpeted.
    However this apartment is about £100 (per month) more expensive, and there’s no increase in space. It is just ridiculous that I have to move and pay more just to get rid of the nuisance which should be taken care of by the landlord.
  • owen_money
    Options
    Richard_Z wrote: »
    I'm Canadian, but I'm referring it as 1st floor because in this building the ground floor is the car park (similar to many Tesco Extra stores).

You live in a Tesco Extra store or am I missing something? I dont think I could live in a store, I would move.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • Icecannon
    Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2017 at 3:20PM
    Options
    Move, the chances they will pull up the flooring and replace with quality underlay and carpet is next to zero, a few mats won’t cut it either.

Why you are even considering renewing your lease beats me, you are getting the run around, it’s easier to say no to you than fix the problem.

Even if you get them to adhere to the regs, I doubt you would be pleased with the result, have you heard how loud 60db is? The odd noise at 60db might be tolerable but for a near constant noise such as footstep, 60db shouldn’t be allowed, it should and can be near enough 0db, if flats were made correctly.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like you've tried every option to get the issue fixed but it's gotten you nowhere, I think at this stage the only option is to cut your losses and move somewhere else.

It's evidently causing you hassle and some stress so I certainly wouldn't renew and given the issues with the building, I wouldn't be looking at flats in the same block.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure