Smart Meters

Comments

• jasee
    jasee Posts: 25 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    brewerdave wrote: »
    SHOULD be resolved by SMETS2 compliant meters which will feed data back to a Data collector for onward distribution to your supplier - HOWEVER, this system is only in its infancy and is unproven on any sort of larger scale.
    At the same time, the Govt. have decreed that the older SMETS1 meters will be adopted into the system in the fullness of time - personally I believe the chances of this happening in an orderly fashion, to be between zero and nought!!:rotfl:
    Meanwhile the SMETS1 meters are being pushed out as fast a possible order to fulfill the government requirements that the energy suppliers have a certain percentage of customers with meters by 2018!
    And customers are supposed to be shopping around for electricity suppliers.
    Can the SMETS1 meters be 'adopted into the system' anyway?
    PS Some energy suppliers say that Smart Meters are incompatible with Solar Panels, others say they are OK. Unless your meter is already running backwards :) then I see no reason why not
  • THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION/IARC CLASSIFIES RADIOFREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS AS POSSIBLY CARCINOGENIC TO HUMANS.
    Not counting the many other possible risks/concerns from having a smart meter on, or in your home, that first sentence alone would make me look into the matter further.
    Yes, we live in a connected world and certain technological advances have improved the world we live in, but there seems to be a growing amount of evidence that is pointing toward the harm that some types of technology is causing. My point again is that people are not aware of some of these concerns and seem to be directed to issues such as, whether their smart meter is working, is the display clear or is it compatible with your new energy company. These are valid points (but are they the most important) but because people are not being informed, there are other concerns that are not being discussed.
    Is makes no sense to me to want to increase the proliferation of EMF radiation in the world, with growing studies showing the harm that it potentially can cause (all for the sake of not having to take our own meter readings).
    Again I am not allowed to copy & paste website addresses etc so if interested start with the following website and get informed before you make your decision.
    Merry Christmas

stopsmartmeters.org.uk/faq/

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    personally I believe the chances of this happening in an orderly fashion, to be between zero and nought!!:rotfl:

I was going for a cat in h e l l s chance, whilst waiting for generation 3.

I think they are a good idea - but only if they actually work. Just think we should be able to swap suppliers in less than 10 minutes, provided you can confirm you are who you say you are, of course. Well that could be a reason why it never gets fixed! Cynical - me - never! I call it being realistic!
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION/IARC CLASSIFIES RADIOFREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS AS POSSIBLY CARCINOGENIC TO HUMANS.
    Not counting the many other possible risks/concerns from having a smart meter on, or in your home, that first sentence alone would make me look into the matter further.
    Yes, we live in a connected world and certain technological advances have improved the world we live in, but there seems to be a growing amount of evidence that is pointing toward the harm that some types of technology is causing. My point again is that people are not aware of some of these concerns and seem to be directed to issues such as, whether their smart meter is working, is the display clear or is it compatible with your new energy company. These are valid points (but are they the most important) but because people are not being informed, there are other concerns that are not being discussed.
    Is makes no sense to me to want to increase the proliferation of EMF radiation in the world, with growing studies showing the harm that it potentially can cause (all for the sake of not having to take our own meter readings).
    Again I am not allowed to copy & paste website addresses etc so if interested start with the following website and get informed before you make your decision.
    Merry Christmas

stopsmartmeters.org.uk/faq/

It's OK, if you believe it's a problem, someone believes they've found a solution : https://store.planet-tachyon.com/tachyon-g-smart-gas-meter-emf-radiation-protection-kit/
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    jasee wrote: »
    The main problem to me (as I have just had a new smart meter fitted) is the smart meter is energy supplier specific, so if I change energy supplier, the meter will no longer send my meter reading in (of course). It sends only to the one supplier that fitted it. So one big benefit is lost.
    Also the remote display (which doesn't anyway give you a meter reading directly , so you still have to look at the meter!) won't give you the correct rates (so the costs are wrong) after a supplier change!
    And, fitting a smart meter is not just a question of fitting a meter to an existing system, the whole original meter has to be replaced with a new meter! So it must be expensive to do.
    So, every time you change electricity suppliers, a new smart meter will have to be fitted if you want all the benefits of having a smart meter. What a ridiculous situation!

Well that's not always the case. Ovo, E.on, First Utility, and Utilita all use the same meters, and switching between these suppliers means you meter stays smart.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Well that's not always the case. Ovo, E.on, First Utility, and Utilita all use the same meters, and switching between these suppliers means you meter stays smart.
    They will not work smart even if they use the same meter. The only supplier i know who can manage that are British Gas and Sainsburys Energy .Maybe SSE and Marks and Spencers can also play that trick
  • jasee
    jasee Posts: 25 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nick_C wrote: »
    They may use the same type of smart meters but does it mean they can be reprogrammed to send their reading to different energy suppliers?
    And receive data from different suppliers?
    In which case, it's probably useful to find out which suppliers use which meters.
    AFAICT the meter will still run and you can take reading from it in the traditional way (by reading it directly) but none? of the smartmeter functions will work.
  • Nick_C
    jasee wrote: »
    They may use the same type of smart meters but does it mean they can be reprogrammed to send their reading to different energy suppliers?
    And receive data from different suppliers?
    In which case, it's probably useful to find out which suppliers use which meters.
    AFAICT the meter will still run and you can take reading from it in the traditional way (by reading it directly) but none? of the smartmeter functions will work.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-switching/the-switching-process/will-my-smart-products-still-work-if-i-switch-provider.html

At OVO we use Secure smart meters. The only other suppliers currently using the same kind of Secure smart meters are E.ON, First Utility and Utilita. So if you decide to move to one of those suppliers, they’ll be able to communicate with your OVO smart meter. And, of course, if you want to switch away from E.ON, First Utility or Utilita and join us at OVO, your smart meter should still work with us. However, it might not work if you’ve had a smart meter for a long time, and your supplier was using a different meter model or manufacturer at that stage. If you move between OVO and any provider that isn’t mentioned above, your meter will become a traditional meter – but this could be only temporary – see below.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Until suppliers think it a good idea for their meters to be compatable with other company's meters, which they quite obviously don't for quite obvious reasons, we are all stuck with this pathetic system. Anyone who thinks that because suppliers may be using the same make/model of meter means that they can change supplier & retain the access is being naive.
  • Nick_C
    badmemory wrote: »
    Until suppliers think it a good idea for their meters to be compatable with other company's meters, which they quite obviously don't for quite obvious reasons, we are all stuck with this pathetic system. Anyone who thinks that because suppliers may be using the same make/model of meter means that they can change supplier & retain the access is being naive.

Are you saying OVO are lying when they say their meters will remain smart if you switch to E.On? Why would they lie about this?

We are stuck with this system until SMETS2 meters are rolled out next year, and data sharing is brought in for SMETS1 meters.

I don't think suppliers have anything to gain by having incompatible meters. All it means is if you switch and your meter isn't compatible with your new supplier's systems, then the new supplier has the cost of installing another smart meter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback