Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Options

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    ."...I'd be lying if I said things were going well"

That's the kind of day I've had!

I've had carpets ripped up, floorboards drilled open, radiators taken off the wall, wardrobes moved, beds moved! It's been traumatic, to say the least - there is nothing more anxiety-inducing that seeing three plumbers trying to 'find' pipework around your house, leave a trail of destruction in their wake!

Waiting nervously for the final invoice, suspect it'll be in the 4 figure territory :( But our radiators are now working properly and that's the main thing. I wonder why we haven't got it done sooner, to be honest, but such is life.

The other terrible thing to happen today is I've discovered Clarks Outlet online and their bargainous deals. As someone with incredibly difficult feet, I have always struggled with ill fitting shoes, blisters and indecisiveness over what shoes to take, in case they rub. And I never realised how much more fashionable Clarks have become. So, I may have 'spent' some of my survey/cashback monies already on a couple pairs of shoes that hopefully will actually fit my feet. My logic is it'll open up my warderobe and enable me to wear more outfits from my existing pieces :o:o

And anyway, I'm so exasperated by plumber-geddon that I neeeeeeeded them. :rotfl:

Right, now to an evening of Putting Things Back. AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

DSL :j
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    How awful about the plumbers :eek:. Is it just me or are plumbers the messiest of workmen? Anyway if your radiators work then it's not all for nothing.

I like Clarks shoes. They are quite fashionable, good quality and very comfortable :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Plumbers are messy indeed, HHD! But the one we've got is truly excellent and has provided us with first class service - he was clearly getting annoyed at the shoddy workmanship of the original heating system installer when the house was first built.

I'm a convert of Clarks. I feel relieved to have found a shoe shop that may actually mean I can wear girly shoes again that don't kill my feet! :) Gotta watch my wallet!!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Still at least you now have decent heating. Saving an emergency fund is a good move.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DrSpendLittle
    DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 December 2017 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Got the invoice from the plumber and was very surprised because it was half what we were expecting!! Phew phew phew! We can now afford to get the carpets and sofas cleaned and not bankrupt ourselves! :D

Today was Putting Everything Back In Its Place but I took the opportunity to have a bloody good sort out of things too and now have a full car ready for a tip trip. I will need to retrospectively book the day off from work as it was meant to be a WFH day. Oooops.

Tomorrow is more house tidying/cleaning. Will need to hunker down from the impending snowstorm that is due. We have enough food in to last us.

Not a NSD today as I bought some plastic storage bags (vacuum sucky thingy ones) and an underbed storage canvas bag for stuff that doesn't get used much. The bedroom is much tidier as a result.

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Snowy, much??

Had a quiet weekend doing some tidying, sorting and spring cleaning in preparation for the carpet cleaners arriving this week. Also caught up on some work, so I no longer feel too guilty about taking time off on Friday!

Had a couple of NSD's and can't remember the last time I went grocery shopping, which means we're using up quite a lot of food from our freezer plus DF has been doing the wee top up shops this week. Using pork from the freezer for a curry tonight which I hope will last us to tomorrow as well.

The Cl4rks Outlet shoes arrived and they fit well but do not suit my style whatsoever, so they are going back. Spends to be replaced with a nice (but cheaper!) cardigan which I ordered today. I already assigned the money to my clothes & shoes category in YNAB so I will still use it on that.

Super excited about the carpet cleaner coming this week and it rejuvenating our house. We've ummed and ahhed about getting new carpets & sofas for some time now, mainly because we can't get them clean enough ourselves to be happy with them (cream coloured, go figure!) and I think cleaning is all they really need as they're still in good condition.

What else? Not much, a few housey things were delivered on Saturday (mirror and more storage boxes) which DF and I have split the cost of. I feel the organisation of the house is a knock on effect of the organisation of my finances. Well, that and plumber-geddon :rotfl:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Debt Slayers!

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    It's been nearly 5 months since my lightbulb moment and in that time, I've paid £4,530.03 off my debts. And I've never felt richer.

It's odd. Since I started spending wisely and on things I need rather than want, I've gained an enormous sense of gratitude and contentment for what I already have. Not material things, but more along the lines of experiences, relationships, family, work etc - the things & beings that make us well.

I feel fulfilled and happy. I can have anything I want, as long as I save for it and prioritize my needs, immediate obligations and yearly expenses. As long as that happens, I'm free to spend my disposable income on whatever I fancy. A coffee, a curry or a cruise!

Its a very empowering feeling and not something I was expecting from living on a budget and throwing everything at the debt.

There are ups and downs and frustrations to be had, but I'm (to use the YNAB lingo) rolling with the punches well and taking each 'event' (I don't like using negative language such as 'set back') as it comes and prioritising it accordingly, like dentists or poorly family members or boilers or plumbers.

I've only cleared 32% of my debt (taking the August figure) so there is stil some way to go, but I feel I'm over the emotional hump and this is now my new way of life.

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    You are definitely doing well DSL. I agree about 'never feeling richer' I have the smallest income I've ever had, but the way I choose to spend my money now makes me feel richer
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Just checking in to stay on track. We had the carpet cleaners this week and I must say, I'm quite happy with the results. The carpets don't look brand new, since we've had them a long time and haven't really kept on top of cleaning them properly so there is some embedded dust in there, but they do look a lot better, so it was money well spent. After all the housework we've had done this past few weeks, I'm glad to say my house is now looking clean and tidy. Phew.

I had to pay the plumber and carpet cleaner this week even though the costs were technically assigned to Januarys budget. Argh. I was hoping to delay payment until next week when my January salary comes in, but the invoices were issued almost immediately and I didn't want to delay their payments, especially for small local businesses with Xmas coming up. DF has subbed me (to avoid me going over my overdraft!!) and I'll repay him next week when my January money comes through :)

Other than that, everything else is going well - I did an Oc8do shop this afternoon to arrive tomorrow, which is the first proper food shop I've done this month. I've been trying to empty the freezer of food supplies recently and we're nearly done.

I probably need to catch up on some work this weekend as I've had a few very unsuccessful WFH days with all the tradesman coming in and out of the house and I'm feeling a bit behind. DF is the same, so we'll work together on the kitchen table.

Still waiting for my haul of cardigans and tops to arrive to try on - I always buy a bunch of stuff to try on if free returns are offered as I'm quite picky about clothes and it gets the order over the 'free delivery' threshold! :) I'm sticking to my assigned budget for these and anything beyond that which I just can't part with will come off my Xmas money. Then, I'm pretty happy with my wardrobe lasting me until I'm debt free. I hadn't invested in buying winter clothes in quite some time, so I was desperate for warm jumpers and cardigans. I'm pleased with the spends I've managed, using the sales and discount deals.

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    It's a WFH day today and I'm being reasonably productive. Hopefully, it will be a NSD too as I've got a curry from the freezer for dinner and don't intend on leaving the house. Lazybones. Having to catch up on work this weekend, so it doesn't really feel like a Friday!

Yesterday we had an Oc4do shop delivered and my long-awaited Ik8a parcel arrived - I decided to pay for postage as it was a similar cost as fuel to drive there but, more importantly, it removed the temptation to Buy Everything in the kitchen/trinket/candle/photoframe sections :).

Expecting a few Xmas deliveries today that DF and I have ordered over the past few days.

I ordered the final few stocking fillers for DF yesterday so my Xmas shopping is officially done! I need to tot up the total but from a rough guestimate, I've spent around £350 on the 7 people I agreed to exchange Xmas presents with. For the others we mutually decided not to give gifts. This is within my overall xmas budget of £420, which is to include fizz, chocolate and cheese.

Bonus for today is I found 15 euros in a draw and then discovered I still have 8 euros on my travel money card! :D This is such a bonus as I now won't need to change £s to EUR in January for my work visit. I can just top up my travel money card using my phone app if I need any more cash and use 15 EUR cash to pay for the airport bus into town (which won't accept cards). Its the small things!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport