My first negative

I had my first negative yesterday, and have replied on feedback.

Situation buyer purchased an advent calendar 28th November selected 1st class post instead of standard 2nd class £1.11 extra.
My listing states expected delivery date via 1st class is 3 to 4 working days. Item was delivered 5th December, so one day after the expected date.

Buyer is now complaining to ebay and wanting a refund. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 9:10AM
    When did you dispatch it?

E.g. If i was selling an advent calendar so close to 1st December, I would have made sure it was dispatched same day or next morning.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2017 at 10:33AM
    kw5 wrote: »

Situation buyer purchased an advent calendar 28th November selected 1st class post instead of standard 2nd class £1.11 extra.
    My listing states expected delivery date via 1st class is 3 to 4 working days. Item was delivered 5th December, so one day after the expected date.

Buyer is now complaining to ebay and wanting a refund. Any advice would be appreciated.

Firstly what basis are they asking for the refund? The only two options are INR (item not received) or SNAD (significantly not as described) and neither of those seems to fit. They can't just have a refund because something is late.

However if you are a business seller then you are obliged to accept a change of mind return, but buyer needs to pay their own return costs. A private seller doesn't have to accept change of mind returns unless you ticked the box for returns when you listed.

Unfortunately the 1 day late already gives you a late defect but sometimes even shipping on time sellers can't avoid a delay in Royal Mail handling post, so you are likely stuck with that defect.

Time sensitive things are a nightmare and it might be an idea in future not to sell so close to the deadline unless you know you can ship instantly .
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    When did you dispatch it?

E.g. If i was selling an advent calendar so close to 1st December, I would have made sure it was dispatched same day or next morning.

OP states it was delivered 1 day past estimate, so that suggests it went as per the time frame seller gave- with the usual 1 day slip as ebay imagine everything arrives magically the next day. Sellers add a dispatch time for a reason and buyers can't assume that just because they choose a faster postage option it is going to go quicker. Perhaps seller was slightly naive in selling so close to the deadline, but they may well have had a reason not to ship instantly. For instance I had a contract last week that kept me out of the house and which meant I couldn't post on one particular day, so I changed my dispatch time from 1 day to 3 days to cover it- regardless of what service buyer had chosen I couldn't have sent things if I wasn't at home to do so.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • A lot of negatives in the run up to xmas. Anyone would think it was just a retail event and not a religious one. (I don't know where they get they idea from :/ )
    I had one lady wait 2 days for a 99p item (bear in mind the xmas rush in the mail system) and said "if I don't get it by tomorrow I'm leaving you bad feedback", and then did exactly that.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolin
    A lot of negatives in the run up to xmas. Anyone would think it was just a retail event and not a religious one. (I don't know where they get they idea from :/ )
    I had one lady wait 2 days for a 99p item (bear in mind the xmas rush in the mail system) and said "if I don't get it by tomorrow I'm leaving you bad feedback", and then did exactly that.

Ebay don't help either with their unrealistic delivery estimates. Also, whilst I would not want to argue with a fellow regular member here, I fear Pinkshoes response shows what we are up against if buyers expect us to automatically be posting quicker than we state- I have noticed this quite a bit and there was another thread about it. Buyers routinely ignoring despatch times and just expecting everyone, whether business or private to post straight away regardless of their circumstances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There does seem to be an assumption that if someone chooses first class post, they not only opt for speedier Royal Mail action (optimistic or what!) but also 'ensure' that the seller posts immediately, rather than in line with stated dispatch times.

I got so fed up with this that I now never offer 1st class as an option but put a note in the listing to invite buyers to contact me for an invoice if they wish to upgrade, and also add the caveat that I cannot necessarily post off more quickly. So far it's worked, but I'm sure the next non-reader of listings will be along very soon...
  • soolin
    Dox wrote: »
    There does seem to be an assumption that if someone chooses first class post, they not only opt for speedier Royal Mail action (optimistic or what!) but also 'ensure' that the seller posts immediately, rather than in line with stated dispatch times.

I got so fed up with this that I now never offer 1st class as an option but put a note in the listing to invite buyers to contact me for an invoice if they wish to upgrade, and also add the caveat that I cannot necessarily post off more quickly. So far it's worked, but I'm sure the next non-reader of listings will be along very soon...

Special delivery is even worse. Even if I have three day despatch on (which I do from time to time if I am working a strange hours contract) people expect their item next day- even when they buy at say 5pm in the afternoon. It is not unknown for someone to buy and then contact me to say that there is something wrong as the next day is the 5th of the month and yet ebay say the item isn't due until the 8th. I got so fed up with this that I now have a stupid special delivery price, far outwith the actual cost - as I need to offer it for my TRS discount (obviously I only get the discount though when I go back to 1 day despatch).
  • kw5
    kw5 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2017 at 7:13PM
    The listing was available from 21st November on a buy it now.

Thank you for your advice, as it is as described and received, I will await to see what Ebay do. I have replied to feedback received. Buyer is stating that they were expecting the parcel 2nd Dec, even though via ebay it was 4th Dec.

I take on board what you have all said and feel confident I did nothing wrong.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When did purchaser purchase the item and when did you post. 1st/2nd?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • kw5
    kw5 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When did purchaser purchase the item and when did you post. 1st/2nd?
    Buyer purchased 28th November at 22.30pm. I posted within 2 working days, as stated on my listing.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Buyer purchased 28th November at 22.30pm. I posted within 2 working days, as stated on my listing.

You have clearly done everything you said you would and the item has arrived within the delivery window (from what you've said).

Personally I would send the buyer a screenshot of their order showing the delivery estimate and not communicate further.

When you say the buyer is complying to eBay, do you mean they have opened a case - if so, what is the reason?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure