PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord taking the .....?!

Comments

• joAnn wrote: »
    As for comments about our au pair - what is the relevance to my original post? Nobody knows what our circumstances are and how we organise this!
    Why did you mention it in the first place then? you could have just said you needed replacement keys, you're the one who dragged the au pair in to it.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Pay up and lesson learned. Don’t ask the LL to do something you could have done at a fraction of the price.

It depends what kind of Banham key it is.

Banhams supply patented keys, which are registered, and the 'property owner' is provided with an ID card to prove they have the right to request copies.

They're intended for property owners (like landlords) who want to keep track of every copy of the key, and who has it etc.

Because the key is patented by Banhams, it is illegal for anyone else to copy it (although you might find a dodgy back-street bloke who's prepared to break the law - at the right price.)

(I'm not sure why the posts on thread his thread seem to be getting so unpleasant.)
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    money is time, you have found that out the hard way
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    joAnn wrote: »
    I have no problem paying for new keys for my own convenience. The key my daughter mislaid is in the house, just needle In a haystack.
    So you say, but are you 100% sure? If your daughter knew where she'd mislaid it, then she'd be able to find it, right...?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pretty universal opinns so far.

Like others, I'd say you got off lightly. To me, a lost key = new lock required. What's the point of a lock if Tom !!!! or Harry (hmmm, Jane should be added to the list these days) picks up the key.

It's 'somewhere in the house'? Maybe. Maybe not. The landord does not know that for sure even if you think you know it for sure.

edit: Richard seems to be distrusted by the forum......
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    to be fair if the LL was a solicitor, they could easily charge 100+ pounds just for the time to send the key, so you got off lightly.

It may take a few minutes for you, but it's time lost at work, lunch hour, you can't buy time back, hence reasonable remuneration is the way forward.

Nothing personal but it's business and the mistake was not theirs but the tenants. If you paid a tradesman for a new lock and installation, you could be looking around 100+ anyways
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • joAnn
    joAnn Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eddddy wrote: »
    It depends what kind of Banham key it is.

Banhams supply patented keys, which are registered, and the 'property owner' is provided with an ID card to prove they have the right to request copies.

They're intended for property owners (like landlords) who want to keep track of every copy of the key, and who has it etc.

Because the key is patented by Banhams, it is illegal for anyone else to copy it (although you might find a dodgy back-street bloke who's prepared to break the law - at the right price.)

(I'm not sure why the posts on thread his thread seem to be getting so unpleasant.)

That's exactly why we had to get the landlord to supply new keys as they are registered and only they can order them, otherwise I would have done that myself.
    Thanks to all those who have helpfully pointed out the landlords point of view - always useful to have some clarity about the other side of the coin.
    I am pretty dismayed that some of the comments on here are becoming unpleasant! What are some people's problems?! I happened to mention our circumstances and there are some very judgmental and unnecessary remarks. Slave labour? Cheaper than a nanny?? When you know my circumstances and requirements, please make informed comments.
  • joAnn
    Why did you mention it in the first place then? you could have just said you needed replacement keys, you're the one who dragged the au pair in to it.

What is your point?
  • joAnn
    00ec25 wrote: »
    presumably you have an au pair because they are cheaper than a "proper" qualified nanny, even then I'll bet you pay your au pair more than £2 per hour for their work or I'd be more than shocked, I'd be talking about slavery

Can you explain how this comment is relevant? Until you know my circumstances, or what our arrangements are, please refrain from making speculative judgments.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    joAnn wrote: »
    What is your point?
    Some friendly advice.

If you don't appeciate the tone or content of some responses, ignore them. Don't encourage farther debate on those points by responding, especially rsponding with a question!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure