5% 2 votes
Can't we just disable polls please?
75% 30 votes

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They're mostly from newbies, sometimes as their first post, and I asked some time ago that there should be a restriction, as there is with posting links, in order that new posters need to have made a certain number of posts before they can post a poll. By that time, they should have learned how the forum works.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just posted on another thread to say that polls rarely add anything to a thread, but here's an example where it's a particularly useful addition!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    They're mostly from newbies, sometimes as their first post, and I asked some time ago that there should be a restriction, as there is with posting links, in order that new posters need to have made a certain number of posts before they can post a poll. By that time, they should have learned how the forum works.

Oh dear Biggles

I think you're mistakenly crediting some of these poll starters with common sense and basic intelligence.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As always, there is the :spam: button that hopefully all regulars know how to use. Mind you, perhaps we need a poll to establish whether people really do know the power of that button.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    Is it time for another inane poll yet?
    I'll get my butler to vote once my private jet has landed - I'd do it myself but dropped my phone in the jacuzzi somewhere over the mid-Atlantic....
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    These inane polls seem to be breeding lately... obviously not enough on this board to keep the lack of brains engaged!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    As always, there is the :spam: button that hopefully all regulars know how to use. Mind you, perhaps we need a poll to establish whether people really do know the power of that button.

Well, I hate to admit it, but actually I don't know the power of that particular button!
    I don't need a poll (thanks all the same!) just a heads up...
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Well, I hate to admit it, but actually I don't know the power of that particular button!
    I don't need a poll (thanks all the same!) just a heads up...

Basically, if enough of us press the :spam: button on a particular post, it gets deleted. If there are multiple posts by a newbie who is posting:spam: and I'm feeling community spirited, I'll go through all their other posts & mark them aswell.:)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unauthorised, self-appointed Forum Police aside, did you actually not mean "inane"and simply missed out the "s"? Let's not forget folks that MSE itself does polls too. What's good for the goose, etc. etc.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 December 2017 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Unauthorised, self-appointed Forum Police aside, did you actually not mean "inane"and simply missed out the "s"? Let's not forget folks that MSE itself does polls too. What's good for the goose, etc. etc.

inane

adjective
    lacking sense or meaning; silly.
    "don't badger people with inane questions"
    synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed; childish, puerile, infantile, jejune, daft, dumb, dim, half-baked, gormless.

I think that just about covers some of the recent (non-MSE staff) polls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure