Sky Help.

Options
Plz remove if this isn't he correct place to post..
My friend recently lost all her benefits :( , she tried to cancel sky (she simply cannot afford to have it) , the said she is contracted until may next year and reduced the package to the very basic.. Im horrified that their basic is going to cost her £58 in dec then £38 jan onwards.. She can not afford this and they will not let her cancel. She is unable to haggle etc as her nature is very timid and non argumentative (unlike myself ;) ). Can anyone here plz advise on how to help .. Thank you in advance Gail <3

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Weeg wrote: »
    Plz remove if this isn't he correct place to post..
    My friend recently lost all her benefits :( , she tried to cancel sky (she simply cannot afford to have it) , the said she is contracted until may next year and reduced the package to the very basic.. Im horrified that their basic is going to cost her £58 in dec then £38 jan onwards.. She can not afford this and they will not let her cancel. She is unable to haggle etc as her nature is very timid and non argumentative (unlike myself ;) ). Can anyone here plz advise on how to help .. Thank you in advance Gail <3

Ask a board guide to move it to the debt / finance part of the forum, more experience in TV etc here than debt.
  • Weeg_2
    Weeg_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Ask a board guide to move it to the debt / finance part of the forum, more experience in TV etc here than debt.

I don't know who to ask Huni :( . x
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Top right hand of the page:

"How to contact us"
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 7:09PM
    Options
    Names of your board guides can be found near the foot of the Phones & TV board page.

Click on Browntoa &/or Cornucopia to send them a message.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi folks, we've just moved this over from Phones & TV.

Can anyone help Weeg?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Weeg

Unfortunately if your friend has a contract with Sky then she will be liable until it ends. You can still try talking them again to see if they will use their discretion to reduce the bill further. For example she could ask them to remove the TV element altogether and just keep the landline and internet.

If she simply can't afford what they are asking for, she can stop paying. She will lose the service and they will hold her liable until the end of the contract. However the debt will then be classed as a non priority as Sky only have limited powers to recover the money. You can seek more advice on how to deal with the debt (and any others she may have) from one of the free debt advice agencies.

The important thing at the moment is your friend can afford the essentials like food and her rent/mortgage. Has she sought any advice on her benefits situation? It's really important to try and get those reinstated if she has no other source of income. In the short term she may also need to use a foodbank, you can find her closest one here https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tell her to stop paying it if she can’t afford it, it’s a non priority debt.

The service will be lost but the debt can be repaid at her leisure.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Raven42
    Raven42 Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 10:41AM
    Options
    The only thing I ever did with Sky is state how much I liked their loyalty scheme but I was moving to an address which already had their brilliant excellent sky, they called it "mothballing" for 5 pounds a month. Maybe worth a shot but if it's already on record you tried to quit it they may not go for it.

Maybe mention the current loyalty scheme and state how much, when you're ready to you want to come back as a current customer.
  • sazaboo
    sazaboo Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sky just offered me a new 12 month contract at £10 which was cheaper than the cost to terminate - push them a bit more. I had a reduction in my income due to a mental health issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure