Refund Wanted on Used Car

Comments

• Tarambor wrote: »
    Oh dear. So it has spent most of its life stood and only doing short journeys, most likely driven in not the most mechanically sympathetic manner due to the previous owner's disability.

Cars do not like being stood or doing short journeys. Both of those cause massive problems and a very low mileage car is not a good thing. I will actively avoid like the plague anything sub 7-8000 miles a year because once you start actually using them a load of problems always start to happen.

I'm not "Mr. PC" or anything, but that really is a startlingly unfair statement. How can you possibly jump to that conclusion?

Maybe the previous owner was extremely careful, very mechanically sympathetic, and just not a regular driver.

I'm not given to shouting "discrimination!" at every opportunity, but there is a rather unfortunate undertone to your post that even I raised an eyebrow at.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 6:45PM
    I'm not "Mr. PC" or anything, but that really is a startlingly unfair statement. How can you possibly jump to that conclusion?

First hand experience and being involved with disabled people. My grandfather for example used to have to wear orthopedic shoes and would go through a clutch every year without fail with his motability car.

Many also have issues getting in and out of vehicles, usually putting undue pressure on the backs of the seats and the doors as they use those to aid getting in and out.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    First hand experience and being involved with disabled people. My grandfather for example used to have to wear orthopedic shoes and would go through a clutch every year without fail with his motability car.

The OP's car is an automatic.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

And? Are you claiming all cars disabled people drive are automatics? Are you saying disabled people can't drive a manual? That's a startlingly unfair statement. How can you possibly jump to that conclusion?
  • Warwick_Hunt
    And? Are you claiming all cars disabled people drive are automatics? Are you saying disabled people can't drive a manual? That's a startlingly unfair statement. How can you possibly jump to that conclusion?

By reading the OP.
    sarah_liz wrote: »
    I bought a used WAV (Wheelchair accessible vehicle) in May this year for £10,600.00 from a dealer in Amersham. In July it developed a fault - gears not changing (its an automatic)and engine stalling.
    The dealer asked me to take it to my local Fiat garage for repair under warranty, Im in Somerset so it couldn't go back to the dealer for repair.
    The car has broken down four times now with the same fault, the Fiat garage are struggling to find the problem (they've changed the clutch).
    The dealer I bought it from is still insisting on it being repaired, but Ive been without the car for 8 weeks within the 22 weeks of owning it.
    I have written to him numerous times requesting a refund, I have no other vehicle I can drive as I need to drive from my wheelchair, I have had to cancel many hospital appointments.
    The dealer is continually saying he is seeking legal advice, waiting for the Fiat garage to contact him etc etc, anything to stall me getting a refund.
    How do I get him to agree to a refund? Im sure that Im within my rights to insist upon this within 6 months of purchase.
    I think my next step would be small claims court?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Warwick_Hunt

Many also have issues getting in and out of vehicles, usually putting undue pressure on the backs of the seats and the doors as they use those to aid getting in and out.

The OP's car is driven from a wheelchair.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!

Made my day, thanks.
    Pants

So nothing to do with a lack of mechanical sympathy then, but due to restrictions placed upon them by their disability.

You had, by implication, conflated disability with a lack of mechanical sympathy - that is not the same argument you're now making.

Hole, stop digging.

I have been driving both manual and automatic cars for over 20 years. I have been disabled for three years and have to now drive from a wheelchair. The car is an automatic and has a lock for the wheelchair, so the previous driver was in the same situation as myself. The car has an automatic ramp and rear door, so no "undue pressure on seats or doors".

I suggest Tarambor, that you stop assuming every disabled person is unable to drive a car without causing it damage whether mechanically or structurally!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sarah_liz wrote: »
    The car was bought from a used dealer, not under the Motability scheme.

Just out of interest, why dont you use the Motability scheme?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure