Restaurants. Must I pay for a miserable experience?

Options
Does anyone know what the situation is if a special meal out is ruined not by bad food or service, but by the presence of a screaming or disruptive child?

This has happened to me so often, with the restaurant owner or manager doing nothing, that I'm wondering whether I could simply refuse to pay my bill.

After all, part of what I'm paying for is the environment, isn't it? Or do restauranteurs' obligations begin and end with providing decent food?

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mehitabel wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the situation is if a special meal out is ruined not by bad food or service, but by the presence of a screaming or disruptive child?

This has happened to me so often, with the restaurant owner or manager doing nothing, that I'm wondering whether I could simply refuse to pay my bill.

After all, part of what I'm paying for is the environment, isn't it? Or do restauranteurs' obligations begin and end with providing decent food?

What would you like them to do? Forcibly remove the child and put them in the stocks outside?

You eat the food you pay the bill
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Seriously ?

Maybe 'real life' is too much for you and you should stay in an environment where you can control everything ?

Good luck with refusing to pay your bill on the basis of a crying child :rotfl:
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    Options
    That screaming child was you once.

A bit of patience and tolerance is called for.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    or simply eat places that wont have children in them
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    Options
    You must know some restaurants where there will be no children? We have one close to us where in all the times we have been there, no children. If we go to family styled eateries then we expect children, and put up with them.
    Why don’t you approach the parents? No? Then why do you expect others to do it for you.
  • Mehitabel
    Mehitabel Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The screaming child was never me, because I wasn't taken to restaurants when I was that sort of age. My parents had too much regard for other peoples' comfort.

I rarely speak to the parents, because if you do, the aggression you get in return is very unpleasant, however polite, gentle or even apologetic you are.

If we can keep emotive stuff out of it... I'm trying to get at the legality. If I've looked forward to a special meal out and the behaviour of another group in a restaurant ruins it (and I've gone home in tears more than once) am I not entitled to some form of redress?

Example: Last week I tried to eat a meal in a pub while three small children raced around, banging into my chair and even my legs, while the parents did nothing. The manager did give me a glass of wine on the house as an apology and that was appreciated. But why should anyone have to put up with this?

If it were badly behaved dogs, I'd be entitled to complain. Why should it be any different because the disruption is caused by members of my own species? Does anyone know the LEGAL position?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know the LEGAL position?

Yes - the legal position is that your entitled to take your business elsewhere (obviously once you've paid for the food you've had)

You can complain about whatever you want - dogs, children, old people, lesbians but you still aren't legally entitled to a free meal, compensation etc etc
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Good food is subjective and what you describe as a bad meal is not everyones opinion.

The problem here is you tbh, you really need to get some social skills.

For me children are a blessing and are white noise. Let them grow up in their own time.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The screaming child was never me, because I wasn't taken to restaurants when I was that sort of age. My parents had too much regard for other peoples' comfort.

I rarely speak to the parents, because if you do, the aggression you get in return is very unpleasant, however polite, gentle or even apologetic you are.

If we can keep emotive stuff out of it... I'm trying to get at the legality. If I've looked forward to a special meal out and the behaviour of another group in a restaurant ruins it (and I've gone home in tears more than once) am I not entitled to some form of redress?

Example: Last week I tried to eat a meal in a pub while three small children raced around, banging into my chair and even my legs, while the parents did nothing. The manager did give me a glass of wine on the house as an apology and that was appreciated. But why should anyone have to put up with this?

If it were badly behaved dogs, I'd be entitled to complain. Why should it be any different because the disruption is caused by members of my own species? Does anyone know the LEGAL position?

I personally would have politely spoken to the parent and explained that their child had just spilt my drink. If they were rude in their
    response I would have sneakily taken a photo of the parent and made use of social media to name and shame them.

On the other hand, why not re-think your choice of eatery?

Many pubs advertise as being 'family friendly', which will mean noisy kids and some extent of children out of their seats.

I suggest you avoid anything family friendly!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow.

You need to pay if the restaurant have kept up their side of the contract. I don't think kids being noisy would constitute a failure for them to uphold their side.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure