PAYG question

Saga
Saga Posts: 302 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I am with Vodafone on PAYG and have a Sony Xperia Aqua M4, which was £125 when I got it about about 2 years ago. I am a comparatively light user so no need for zillions of texts and GBs of data allowance. Thankfully, I've not had issues with Vodafone, but I'm aware lots of people have.

I am now looking to replace it with another PAYG about the same price, at least 16 GB internal storage (hated that HALF of the 8 GB on the Aqua was swallowed up by Android OS!). While I would prefer to stay with Vodafone & a Sony, what's the best replacement phone to go for? Sorry, not really au fait with these things. Ta
---
100% debt-free!

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    Saga wrote: »
    I am now looking to replace it with another PAYG
    You don't need to buy a phone with with a PAYG SIM included, if that's what you mean, you can choose any handset SIM-free and insert the SIM that's in your current phone (with your phone number).

I don't know about Sony phones now available, but for Android the Moto G5 series (or cheaper G4) and the Samsung Galaxy J series seem popular.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Saga
    eDicky wrote: »
    You don't need to buy a phone with with a PAYG SIM included, if that's what you mean, you can choose any handset SIM-free and insert the SIM that's in your current phone (with your phone number).

I don't know about Sony phones now available, but for Android the Moto G5 series (or cheaper G4) and the Samsung Galaxy J series seem popular.

Ta. Am I right in thinking I have to get such a handset unlocked?
    ---
    100% debt-free!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 8:50PM
    Saga wrote: »
    Ta. Am I right in thinking I have to get such a handset unlocked?
    If you buy a new 'SIM-free' handset it will not be locked to any network, whereas a phone that includes a PAYG SIM will normally be locked to the network of that SIM.

If you want to continue using your Vodafone SIM in a new phone, it needs to be an unlocked handset or one that is locked to Vodafone.

If, for example, you find a deal for the handset you want that is cheaper with a Vodafone PAYG SIM than one that is SIM-free, you could buy that and use your own SIM instead of the one supplied with the handset. But in general, an unlocked SIM-free handset is preferable.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    AS suggested, Moto G5 is decent option - example of SIM free here - buy it, put your current sim in, that's it

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5.html#!colour=gold&capacity=16GB&dealType=sf
  • Saga
    Thanks everyone.
    ---
    100% debt-free!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income