IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal - Offer Letter to Settle

Comments

• OK, so a final update on my case.

They did end up sending the notice to discontinue and have filed this with the court.

It just goes to show, if you file a decent defense and have valid points they will back down!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    StanHowe wrote: »
    OK, so a final update on my case.

They did end up sending the notice to discontinue and have filed this with the court.

It just goes to show, if you file a decent defense and have valid points they will back down!

Of course, the typical BWLegal wheeze

BWLegal is like a bad book, with only a few pages inside

Tell your friends about this forum, great for motorists and
    very bad for scammers
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Time to send a costs order request to the court.
    Liability for costs. Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part38
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy wrote: »
    Of course, the typical BWLegal wheeze

BWLegal is like a bad book, with only a few pages inside

Tell your friends about this forum, great for motorists and
    very bad for scammers

Yes indeed, I feel like going on a social media rampage!
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Time to send a costs order request to the court.
    Liability for costs. Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom the claimant discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on the defendant.

justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part38

This is very interesting, I was reading this when I received my Notice to Discontinue.

I am not sure what I could class as costs aside from Postage? I'll check out 44.9 here justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part-44-general-rules-about-costs
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2017 at 10:34AM
    But what costs? Time spent reading the applicable law? Time and mileage to visit site and phot0graphing the signs? Time spent preparing an appeal? Time spent writing to the landowner? Time spent preparing a witness statement and defence?

They have lied to you. They have cost you considerable time. they have tried to obtain from you sums to which they have no legal entitlement, and, no doubt, caused you a modicum of a modicum of stress. Go for the jugular.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done :j

......as part of your rampage ...... ;)

try your MP

this is a copy of a post by Bargepole ....

"Some action at last:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2017-19/parkingcodeofpractice.html

This Private Member's Bill has Government and cross-party support, and stands a good chance of making it into statute.

The full text of the clauses will be published nearer the date of the second reading, but my sources tell me it's something we should support.

Now would be a good time to write to your MP urging them to support it."

let here know that there have been many complaints about this car park scam

he/ she may well help intervene

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • The_Deep wrote: »
    But what costs? Time spent reading the applicable law? Time and mileage to visit site and phot0graphing the signs? Time spent preparing an appeal? Time spent writing to the landowner? Time spent preparing a witness statement and defence?

They have lied to you. They have cost you considerable time. they have tried to obtain from you sums to which they have no legal entitlement, and, no doubt, caused you a modicum of a modicum of stress. Go for the jugular.

You make some valid points, I have spent around 4-5 hours reading the law alone.

Part 44.4 (3)(f) of the General Rules of Costs is "time spent on the case" :)

Is there a standard form for this? I've tried searching MSE forum (costs order request) but no luck?
    Ralph-y wrote: »
    Well done :j

......as part of your rampage ...... ;)

try your MP

this is a copy of a post by Bargepole ....

"Some action at last:

Removed Link - Stupid Error

This Private Member's Bill has Government and cross-party support, and stands a good chance of making it into statute.

The full text of the clauses will be published nearer the date of the second reading, but my sources tell me it's something we should support.

Now would be a good time to write to your MP urging them to support it."

let here know that there have been many complaints about this car park scam

he/ she may well help intervene

good luck

Ralph:cool:

I will definitely look into this. This is great news in preventing them trying to bully or con people.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hooray, so happy to hear about the discontinuance (the offer to settle was a big clue!). Now we hope you can claim those costs!

Here's how Bluetoffee1878 did it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72966188#post72966188

and a Solicitor who posts here, LoadsofChildren123, wrote a longer version she links here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72799488#post72799488

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Hooray, so happy to hear about the discontinuance (the offer to settle was a big clue!). Now we hope you can claim those costs!

Here's how Bluetoffee1878 did it:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72966188#post72966188

and a Solicitor who posts here, LoadsofChildren123, wrote a longer version she links here:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72799488#post72799488

HTH

Thank you so much coupon, big props to you and everyone else that helps people with these issues.
  • OK, I have drafted the following to claim costs - please note I will add details about my medical issue as its confidential and the costs are estimates, would happily take feedback on the wording:

Urgent Matter - to be referred to Procedural Judge.

In the matter of

BW Legal v Mr Stanley Howe
    Claim Number XXXXXXXX

Dear Sir or Madam,

Since originally being issued with a PCN dated XX/XX/XXXX I have came under increasing pressure to pay a PCN fee by BW Legal. They have issued at least 4 letters to me over the course of the last 12 months, threatening court action if I didn’t comply.

Following these numerous items of correspondence BW Legal began County Court action against me on XX June 2017. Throughout this process I had spent the following time on the case:

i. 2 hours preparing my appeal
    ii. 10 hours researching the appropriate law
    iii. 2 hours preparing my witness statements
    iv. 3 hours writing my defence & visiting the site for photos

BW Legal eventually got as far as having a court date set for XX/XX/XXXX. Whilst approaching this court date they followed up with an offer letter dated XX/XX/XXXX to settle for £165 rather than £275.50. In this letter they informed me that their client thinks ‘my defence is unlikely to succeed' which turns out to be completely unsupported and deceiving. Once the deadline of XX/XX/XXXX to pay this ‘offer’ had passed they quickly followed up with a Notice of Discontinuation. Based on this it is clear that their only intention was to acquire monies rather than actually take this case to court and prove their case.

Throughout the last 3 years this case had caused unnecessary stress and pressure on me which in turn has caused a flare up in my disease XXXXXXXXX. Further explanation here.

Based on everything detailed above I refer to CPR r.38.6 which states that the claimant is liable for the defendant's costs after discontinuance (r.38.6(1)) but that this does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track (r.38.6(3)). However, the white book states (annotation 38.6.1): "Note that the normal rule as to costs does not apply if a claimant in a case allocated to the small claims track serves a notice of discontinuance although it might be contended that costs should be awarded if a party has behaved unreasonably (r.27.14(2)(d))."

On this basis I would like to request a costs order to be made against the Claimant given that BW Legal has behaved unreasonably by discontinuing this claim and sending letters of an unsupported and deceiving nature.

The Defendant had significant costs to prepare the Defence and prepare attendance of the hearing and the costs claimed are as follows:

Schedule of costs

Drafting original appeal as litigant in person @£18 per hour, (N.B. I think this is £19 now)
    2 hours. Total £36

Researching law as litigant in person @£18 per hour, (N.B. I think this is £19 now)
    10 hours. Total £180.

Preparing witness statements as litigant in person @£18 per hour, (N.B. I think this is £19 now)
    2 hours. Total £36.

Preparing defence and acquiring photos of the car park site as litigant in person @£18 per hour, (N.B. I think this is £19 now)
    3 hours. Total £54.

Total costs claimed £306

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXXXX
    XX/XX/XXXX
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts