Advice, comments please,newbie

Options
Having recently retired/ made redundant, I have paid all debts off including mortgage, my pension is due to start and overall, with my wife still working until she joins me in 4 or 5 years, we are comfortable.
I am in the position for the first time in my life to consider investing. I have a rainy day fund in an isa, a medium term in a one year fix with atom, and am now looking for an investment of between £40k and £50k.
My main purpose would be a blend of income,circa £150 per month and anything above that, reinvested. Is this atainable,achievable within the amount of capital invested?
My aversion to risk is low, and I do intend to consult an ifa before committing.

Any suggestions., comments?

Cheers

PF
Space available for rent

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    £150/month is 3.6% of £50K. This should be fairly easily achievable. Where things start to get more difficult is if you want this figure to be index linked. This requires your capital to increase by inflation as well as generating 3.6%. This level of return would require you to accept some moderate level of risk as it is only equities (shares) that can provide a long term good chance of at least matching inflation.

The other question is whether you would be prepared to accept some level of variability in your drawdown. You really need this if you are investing in equities as during the bad times you don't want to be forced to sell the core of your investment thus reducing the capital required to generate future income. The easiest way to manage this is to hold a reserve in cash to take as income when required.
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Linton,
    Index linking is not high on my priority list as this is only intended as a top up, and not as something that I would rely on to eat. My pension is both rpi/CPI linked and forms the basis of my income. Such that if my preferred £150,falls to eg £100, it ain't no big deal, my prime concern is to protect my initial investment and generate some income.

Income bonds would have been ideal, but we all know how bad they are these days.
    Space available for rent
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you wish to 'protect your investment' to pass on in your estate or are you OK to draw capital with the aim it could reduce to zero over your remaining life?
  • Peelerfart
    Options
    Hi Alexland,
    My goal with this is simply to generate an income and protect my investment until my wife retires,I've read up on the 4% rule, which isn't gospel I know but seems like a good yardstick from where I am.
    It's just an short/medium term thing,not looking to pass on in my estate at this stage in my life.

As far as I'm aware lol
    Space available for rent
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 September 2017 at 10:38PM
    Options
    I agree with Linton that investing could generate the desired returns (but I am more in the 3% rule camp especially for early retirement) and I would probably use a low cost stocks and shares isa which would give a tax efficient wrapper to £20k pa (or less if you have contributed to your cash isa this year) maybe also using your wife's allowance to get it wrapped quicker?

Investment comes with some risk and volatility and unfortunately the traditionally low risk bonds/gilts are looking a bit high risk these days. In your position I would open a Vanguard direct ISA in the Life Strategy 60 fund and draw down £100 per month initially increasing to £150 per month if the investment performs well. Or if you want more money in early years start at £150 and be willing to drop back to £75 if you start to see too much capital errosion.

Also up to the age 75 (or until the money runs out) then I would withdraw 2880 per year to contribute to a private pension and the government will boost it to 3600. You might be able to contribute more in the first year matched against your earnings or use your wife's pension. It doesn't matter if you are withdrawing from the isa when markets have dropped as you will be buying in the pension when markets are cheap.

Make sure you are maximising the use of your annual income tax allowance and tax free element each year. Also check there are no missing NI contributions you could make to get full state pension.

Finally - how did you get your wife to agree to retire after you? Mine is 6 years younger and wants to retire no later than me!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    Having recently retired/made redundant, I have paid all debts off including mortgage, my pension is due to start and overall, with my wife still working until she joins me in 4 or 5 years, we are comfortable.
    I am in the position for the first time in my life to consider investing. I have a rainy day fund in an isa, a medium term in a one year fix with atom, and am now looking for an investment of between £40k and £50k.
    My main purpose would be a blend of income,circa £150 per month and anything above that, reinvested. Is this atainable,achievable within the amount of capital invested?

You are presumably a tax-payer. Is your aim to bridge the gap until your state pension begins?

There are "funds" - roughly what used to be known as unit trusts - that pay a higher income than an ordinary equity fund because they essentially give up some of their hoped for future growth to generate more income now. Might a mixture of those appeal? Here's one.

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/s/schroder-income-maximiser-income-inclusive
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • grandst
    Options
    There are multi asset income funds with fairly low volitility which might suit your risk level.
  • chiang_mai
    Options
    Some thoughts:

Confirm your risk tolerance level;
    Take your time finding an IFA you're happy with;
    Work out your asset allocation percentages, what percentage in bonds, gilts, property and equities;
    Avoid becomming UK centric. If your risk profile allows, spread your assets globally in order to lower your risk.
    Don't start picking funds until you've done those things.
  • Peelerfart
    Options
    Thanks all,
    There's some good stuff here and once again the forum hasn't let me down. It sounds like my goal is achievable which is good to hear.
    I'm going to book an appointment with my ifa soon and will report back here with what he suggests.
    @ Alexland, my wife is also 6 years younger but I kinda got away with it by saying stuff like. It's not my fault,they made me redundant,I didn't ask for this! She seemed to buy it :-)
    Space available for rent
  • Peelerfart
    Options
    Not a shameless bump, but family circumstance has delayed my contact with my ifa.

Will post back when information/advice obtained.
    Space available for rent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport