IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Missed appeal window due to second ticket

Options
Hi all - I know there's so many posts and I promise I've been doing lost of reading, but still unsure regarding my particular situation and was hoping someone could help. Will keep it short:

About 4 months ago I received a ticket for two separate parking offences in two weeks and so when the first ticket came I appealed as per forum instructions and haven't heard back (so fingers crossed its been dropped). However due to my lack of observation (yes i know this was stupid), when the ticket for the second offence came I assumed it was to do with the first ticket. It's only when I realised there were two offences that I realised I had missed the appeal window for the second ticket.

I've read on the forum that if you miss the window then there's no point doing anything, but the letters are now well into debt collector stage with the latest letter stating court action is next.

My question is is there anything I should do between now and court? I've read a lot about preparing defences etc but that is once court comes (if it does). Is there anything I can do now or should I just assume I'll end up there?

The parking offence was from a private company where the driver parked in a mall's car park and overstayed by around half an hour.

I'm trying to be short but if you need any more info please let me know!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    if these are private parking charges then no "offences" were committed, just "transgressions"

if this is in debt collector land , nothing can be done, other than complaining to the landholder and trying to get them cancelled

debt collectors can be ignored, they are powerless

assume they may try civil court within 6 years, dont ignore an LBC or an MCOL

in the greater scheme of things , 4 months is NOTHING when you think they have 72 months to try court

See post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anything I can do now or should I just assume I'll end up there?
    Yes - tell us who the parking company is, then we can tell you how much further this is likely to go.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there anything I can do now or should I just assume I'll end up there?
    The NEWBIES thread tells you to Google 'BMPA Insight' and the name or acronym of the PPC, to see how often they try small claims.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • dilby00
    dilby00 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice coupon-mad; have just used this link for zpps: http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/ZZPS.html

No court activity at all, and they don't recommend appealing at any stage anyway!
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    dilby00 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice coupon-mad; have just used this link for zpps: http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/ZZPS.html

No court activity at all, and they don't recommend appealing at any stage anyway!

ZZPS are not the private parking company (PPC) you're involved with here. ZZPS are debt collectors.

Look on their letter(s) to see if it identifies who their client is (that will be the PPC).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• dilby00
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    ZZPS are not the private parking company (PPC) you're involved with here. ZZPS are debt collectors.

Look on their letter(s) to see if it identifies who their client is (that will be the PPC).

You're right - whoops! It's Premier Park and I've just checked and they've had 36 court hearings so far this year! :(

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Premier_Park.html
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    dilby00 wrote: »
    You're right - whoops! It's Premier Park and I've just checked and they've had 36 court hearings so far this year! :(

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Premier_Park.html

As you've no access to a formal appeal now, through missing their deadline, you have the following choices:

1. Pay them and get rid of it from your life - but on a 'FightBack' forum you will forgive us if we don't recommend that course of action.

2. Sit back (while you do plenty of research and learn about how to deal with any potential court case) and see what their next move is.

3. Check on how your complaint to the mall, about the charge and your request for them to intervene, is progressing. You have complained .... haven't you?

• dilby00
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just a little disappointed as the ticket was originally just £60 and is now £210. In regards to premier parking the forum advice is to appeal if you want, but to not really bother as it doesn't get anywhere, and to not pay. There's also advice like this (i know this is nothing to do with money saving expert) that say to ignore all tickets and essentially parking companies never win in court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUYzBcFLWMA

But now I just have a bigger ticket and my advice seems to be to prepare for a lengthy battle, which seems a shame.

The reason I haven't taken it up with homebase is that i can't find any record at all of it - the payment must have been cash - so I fear that I'd just be admitting fault for no benefit.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2017 at 9:54PM
    Options
    That video is very old.

Here is another copy of the same thing:

Note that the publisher's comment, dated March 2012, on that page is:
    PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE ADVICE HAS CHANGED IN ENGLAND OR WALES SINCE THIS WATCHDOG VIDEO, YOU NEED TO TAKE FURTHER ADVICE FROM MSE FORUMS OR PEPIPOO.COM
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    The reason I haven't taken it up with homebase is that i can't find any record at all of it - the payment must have been cash - so I fear that I'd just be admitting fault for no benefit
    Homebase have a reasonable record of cancelling tickets. If you don't try, you don't get! 'Admitting fault' to Homebase has no consequence. They don't go running to the PPC to report on every parking charge complaint they get. Give it your best.

Go in there and 'wing it'. Get the manager, don't deal with the spotty yoof on the Customer Services desk.

Do you have previous receipts/bank or credit card statements showing you have spent there previously (especially a big transaction)? Take them with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport