IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

£100 MET parking charge services , do they follow up on there threat or one to ignore

Options

Comments

• justwondering25
    Options
    Thank you for all the excellent advice.

I have checked there records over at

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

It appears they do not take people to court... Am I correct in my reading of the information over at BMPA?

Would I be just as well to say no letters have ever arrived?
    !!!!! Lifes wonderful !!!!!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for all the excellent advice.

I have checked there records over at

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

It appears they do not take people to court... Am I correct in my reading of the information over at BMPA?

Of course that website cannot predict the future. If they become more confident, they have up to six years to start court action.

It must be a better idea to kill off that possibility now, surely?
  • justwondering25
    Options
    Indeed, agreed, I shall call the manager of the gym tomorrow.

Could the company keep on adding to the fine and adding to the fine every letter they send? Or is there a max limit?
  • justwondering25
    Options
    If taken to court, as detailed In the reply above , let's say it was £175, can MET also bill me for legal costs?

Or is a couple of hundred pounds about the top and bottom of it?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    1) It appears they do not take people to court... Am I correct in my reading of the information over at BMPA?

2) Would I be just as well to say no letters have ever arrived?

1) past performance does not guarantee that they wont try it over the next 6 years, others have done so so dont assume it wont happen

2) NO, because letters are deemed in law to have "arrived" 2 days after posting , so all they have to demonstrate is that they sent them. the PO offer a free certificate of posting service and business mail is franked accordingly so you wont get away with that excuse , not in a court of law

with DCA charges it may get to say £160 but again its just a figure on paper

should MET try a court case they may try to inflate it up to say £200 to £300 but as its small claims court you can object and a judge might award the original £100 plus court filing fees etc of maybe another £75 , hence a typical loss "could be" about £175

its called "small claims court" for a reason, the PPC cannot bump it up to £500 or £5000 and get away with it , not as long as you contest it and defend yourself

best way to get rid is a cancellation by the gym , asap

but make sure it has also been appealed within the 28 days allowed from the date on the NTK, do not let it "time out"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How has this thread got so long, about a bog standard MET PCN at appeal stage? Not sure what you mean by ''send in the debt collectors'' that made me chuckle. What, send some letters?! You are overthinking the entire scam.

It's only MET, and all you need to do is complain, and send the template appeal.

The POFA Schedule 4 is linked in the NEWBIES first post, and it sets out how much can be recovered, as does the BPA Code of Practice. Easy to find out that the sum stays at £100 during appeal.

You are at the stage where these are easy to get cancelled by complaint, as the NEWBIES thread says is the first step.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    Options
    Have they never arrived? If they have, then do not lie. If it ever got to a court stage - you'd be dealing with a much bigger issue than a £100 parking charge notice! Contempt of court, or perverting the course of justice - take your pick.

None of us here would ever suggest stooping to the level of the private parking skimdustry.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • justwondering25
    Options
    Indeed, I shall make a threat to cancel my gym membership.

It is totally out of order, I have asked staff at the gym before why is there a 4 hour max stay, they say it is because of offices in the same complex have used the gym car park as a overflow car park.... But since when did that become my problem and why doesn't the gym have a member of staff stopping people at the car park entrance and asking to see people's membership card.

There is a computer at the gym that you can enter your car reg into if you think you will be staying longer than 4 hours

So other than a threat to cancel my membership, they have covered all excuse bases..
  • justwondering25
    Options
    Thank you all for wonderfully helpful replies, I shall call the gym manager tomorrow and if no joy I shall complain using advice as detailed in the newbie thread.

I thought though, that due to the car park been free for members, then the maximum they can claim is zero, due to no real loss as the car park fee is zero?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    Options
    There is a computer at the gym that you can enter your car reg into if you think you will be staying longer than 4 hours
    Did you not enter your details? Why not just do that by default, even though you plan only to be there for a couple of hours? We always recommend complying with the requirements of the car park. This isn't a forum which encourages car park 'bilking'.
    I thought though, that due to the car park been free for members, then the maximum they can claim is zero, due to no real loss as the car park fee is zero?
    Don't go there. An almost dead in the water argument since Beavis v ParkingEye at the Supreme Court in November 2015.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport