Wiltshire?

Options
I have searched the forum but only old threads are coming up.

I am looking into buying these ready meals for my Mum. What are peoples thoughts on Wiltshire. I also know of Oakhouse...again any thoughts?

My Dad has a large appetite, are the meals sufficient

Thanks
Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 September 2017 at 8:35AM
    Options
    Hi.....I tried them for my dad after mum died. I thought they were good, but of course, he turned his nose up......he was just fussy and spoilt by my mums cooking. :rotfl:

I think they do two different portion sizes, one for "smaller appetites" and one "normal". I would think that if your dad has a particularly large appetite then maybe they might be a bit on the small side. Maybe he would need some extra "padding" such as a bread roll, jacket potato, or side salad or maybe start with soup or add a pudding.

TBH I think you are probably just as well with buying ordinary supermarket ones. I think the likes of Marks and Spencer's are pretty good quality and not too expensive and their portion sizes are quite generous.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    My Mum used Wiltshire for a short while, after she came out of hospital.

The meals are not too bad, you only need order what you want and they are delivered right into the freezer if you want!

The meals come in different sizes...as well as the 'standard' meal, they do mini-meals for a small appetite and 'hearty' options for those who like a big portion.

Marks and Spencer do wonderful ready meals...and again do various sizes.....but they don't deliver. (I wish they did!)
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

do you not have a local 'meals on wheels', food delivered daily by volunteers, think it's cooked in a local school kitchen, so fresh daily.

Not sure about weekends and holidays though.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Hi,

do you not have a local 'meals on wheels', food delivered daily by volunteers, think it's cooked in a local school kitchen, so fresh daily.

Not sure about weekends and holidays though.

The OP is asking about suppliers of ready meals to be cooked by the customer .

Some local authorities use the services of apetito for delivery of hot meals. It does deliver every day of the year. One can arrange deliveries oneself without local authority involvement.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    We've had Oakhouse meals, not Wiltshire.

We liked Oakhouse because they offer a 'mini-meals' option, which is fine for us. Not as cheap as we can make ourselves - £3 - £4 per meal so that's £8 a meal for us both. They were useful and convenient but we don't need them now.

Where I live locally there is no more 'meals on wheels' from the LA. Many local cafes will deliver. There's also an independent meals provider recently started up along the lines of what 'meals on wheels' used to do, but they're not cheap either.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Does this service exist anywhere these days?

In our area, it's been replaced by a weekly visit when seven commercially-produced frozen meals are put in the freezer. The client or a carer is expected to microwave the meal.

Almost everyone has to pay towards the cost of the service.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cook. They have some shops, and they home deliver (but not daily). Expensive, but great. The sleeves even say who cooked them, AND they sell ceramic dishes which fit their meals. So you can, if you need to, heat and serve in the ceramic dish and say it was made by Fred or whoever.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Out of interest what advantages are there for weekly deliveries of ready meals from the likes of Wiltshire over ordering ready meal deliveries from major supermarkets?

"free delivery" just means included in the price.

The only advantage that springs out at me is that they offer the option of ordering by phone rather than solely online.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree 100% about the COOK shops but I don't think they're nationwide. The meals are light years ahead of anything similar and there's a huge range.
  • northwest1965
    Options
    alanq wrote: »

Some local authorities use the services of apetito for delivery of hot meals. It does deliver every day of the year. One can arrange deliveries oneself without local authority involvement.

Not available in our area, they send me to Wiltshire:)

I will have a look at Asda ready Meals (they have a delivery from them already & M&S
    I live 125 miles from them, so delivery has to be the only option
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure