PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Recently moved into house, dropped kerb application refused. What can I do?

Options

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Can you not just drive up the kerb? All be it a bit slower than you would a dropped kerb.

Some councils can get very stressy about this...

Hillingdon encourages people to photograph and report people doing that:
    https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/drivingacrosspavements

Southend sends out camera cars to capture evidence and fine people £600 (presumably after a complaint/tip-off) :
    http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoring-news/man-fined-600-for-parking-on-his-own-driveway-11363996285863

And some councils take even more drastic action by putting up bollards to stop people driving across pavements:

01.jpg

02.jpg

parkingDM0303_468x324.jpg

2E90AA2B00000578-3323587-image-a-50_1447854549511.jpg
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    What can you do? Park somewhere else.

There is no general rght to park on your property or outside your house.

And SUMO!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's no different to Building Regulations.

These now specify where and how flues from boilers can exit the building and a host of other things.

When you intall a new boiler (or whatever) you have to comply with the current rules, but your neighbours who installed their boilers before the current rules were introduced can continue using their boilers without altering the flu.

You can choose to break the law (metal ramp which will eventually get spotted) or whatever, or you can move. Or park on the road. I don't see how you can appeal since you are unable to comply with the current rules.
  • Yes I agree "rules are rules" so it makes it difficult to appeal the decision, but in the Borough there are other driveways approved that have broken rules e.g. not being over 10m from a junction or being less than 4.2m. For example if you google "MZA planning Crossover appeal" you can see a case study of a driveway approved recently which is clearly under 4.2m depth

I am just trying to be imaginative here and see if there is anything I can do. My user privileges do not allow me to link to websites or images so I can't show pics on here of my drive but I can try and private message them

Great images of the bollards , definitely something I want to avoid unless I want my own article in the Daily Mail
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you approached MZA about submitting an appeal on your behalf as they clearly have had some success.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    If parking is such a major factor in your life, you should have bought a house with offstreet parking, or done some preliminary research into the council's rules on dropped kerbs.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7] Employ a 3D artist to paint the current kerb so it is an illusion and looks like a dropped kerb .... so most people will stay away, leaving you that spot to park in when you come home.

Ever seen those 3D pavement artists?
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/SoqOrkS1eQI/AAAAAAAAApU/nNTliok0Tz4/s800/Amazing-3D-Sidewalk-Art-arctic-whale.jpg
  • If parking is such a major factor in your life, you should have bought a house with offstreet parking, or done some preliminary research into the council's rules on dropped kerbs.

My question is what can I do, not please give me condescending retrospective drivel

This is just a discussion what could be done , I will potentially try and speak to a local councilor, ideally one approaching re-election , alternatively after this I may try MZA or a metal ramp coupled with a 3D painting of a dropped kerb.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Who measured the 4.1 metre dimension? Was it you that measured it and put it on your plans? Or did the planners come around and measure it?

If you re submitted plans showing a 4.2 metre space because [cough] your tape measure is a bit wonky, would anyone actually come and measure it?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    It's no different to Building Regulations.

These now specify where and how flues from boilers can exit the building and a host of other things.

When you intall a new boiler (or whatever) you have to comply with the current rules, but your neighbours who installed their boilers before the current rules were introduced can continue using their boilers without altering the flu.

You can choose to break the law (metal ramp which will eventually get spotted) or whatever, or you can move. Or park on the road. I don't see how you can appeal since you are unable to comply with the current rules.

This, when I had a new boiler it wasn't simple old one out new one in it's place, it had to be moved to meet the current regulation at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure