PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Sadly Deceased

Options

Comments

• Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    OR and here's a little tip, the LL is a commercial provider (no different to Sainsbury's) and therefore is expected to accommodate business expenses.

You are making it personal, the rest of us as simply viewing this as a commercial interest.
    Well, Crashy seems to be making it personal:
    I take it you didn`t know the tenant well, as money seems to be your main concern here?
    Not even wrong
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Twopints wrote: »
    Well, Crashy seems to be making it personal:

It's going to be them one day, died renting.

perhaps he should by his final resting place now, or perhaps he will leave enough to rent somewhere.
  • BaileySJ
    Options
    Such odd replies to this thread.

To an extent this is personal - someone has died in my property and and a family has lost a relative, which is a sad situation. I feel that I have a duty in this matter to show some compassion and not start hassling people for what they legally owe or have to do.

I was asking for advice, I have no intention of contacting the relatives. I was merely trying to ascertain what I should be doing and who usually handles stuff (like clearing out furniture etc) - and more importantly, whether I could use insurance that I pay for to cover the damage - which is not the case.

For what it's worth (and not that it really matters) I purchased the flat and rent myself (as I cannot afford to buy near to where I work) - it barely breaks even year on year and with expenses runs at a loss - it just feels better to have something to offset constantly paying rent.

I have always tried to be a kind and compassionate landlord - I authorise repairs immediately and even personally paid for the tenant to have the doctors verify her identity as she didn't have a passport.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    BaileySJ wrote: »

I was asking for advice, I have no intention of contacting the relatives. I was merely trying to ascertain what I should be doing and who usually handles stuff ......
    Sorry. I must take issue. You cannot ignore tthe relatives and must contact them.

Of course, how and when is up to you.

But you must at some point give them access, arrange to end the tenancy, let them clear the property etc.

Whether the legalities (which must be followed at some point) of ending the tenancy should be done with them, or someone else, depends who the Executer/Administrator is.

So you have to estabish that somehow. Probably by conacting the relatives (if you know who they are).

This is nothing to do with being unsympathetic, or money-grabbing, as some have sugggested. Whilst yes, it's a sad situation, life must go on and certain formalities completed.

Just as funeral directors, crematoria, the Register Office ec have to be dealt with by the relatives.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Such odd replies to this thread.

To an extent this is personal - someone has died in my property and and a family has lost a relative, which is a sad situation. I feel that I have a duty in this matter to show some compassion and not start hassling people for what they legally owe or have to do.

I was asking for advice, I have no intention of contacting the relatives. I was merely trying to ascertain what I should be doing and who usually handles stuff (like clearing out furniture etc) - and more importantly, whether I could use insurance that I pay for to cover the damage - which is not the case.

For what it's worth (and not that it really matters) I purchased the flat and rent myself (as I cannot afford to buy near to where I work) - it barely breaks even year on year and with expenses runs at a loss - it just feels better to have something to offset constantly paying rent. - that is down to you though. You have chosen this and frankly it doesn't matter whether you make a profit or a loss, you are a business for all intents and purposes.

I have always tried to be a kind and compassionate landlord - I authorise repairs immediately and even personally paid for the tenant to have the doctors verify her identity as she didn't have a passport.
    Nor does she need one? If it's right to rent checks, there is a list of stuff.

Anything else is up to you, you don't HAVE to verify identity beyond the right to rent check.
  • BaileySJ
    Options
    Apologies for the wording - the letting agent is in contact with the police to do the necessary communication, I had meant I am not intending to contact them asking for money.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If the estate is insolvent the advice is usually to get personal possessions and valuables from the residence for save keeping and walk away play no further part in any finances.

They can even leave a funeral to the state(council).

This can leave a landlord in limbo with no one to deal with.

It will be quite important to establish any plans relatives/executors have early, as you will need to fit a new door or secure quickly this will be the opportunity to discuss access.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    The money can be sorted later, the immediate issue relating to the tenancy is what happens to the house. Talk to the daughter / executor re

1) when they can clear the house and access arrangements

2) termination date.. serve notice or even better, agree a mutual termination with the executor so the estate stops being liable for rent and you can re rent the property without waiting for 1-2 months for notice to expire.

3) The estate is liable for the full rent until termination and any damages / cleaning costs. You have to return the deposit less these deductions to the estate.

This is correct - I would suggest contacting the executors and suggesting that they arrange to clear the property and that you confirm that you are happy to agree a mutual termination to end the tenancy so that the estate is not liable for any further rent. I think that you an do this in a business-like but sympathetic way - even if you simply acknowledge in your letter that you realise that it is a difficult time for them and apologise for having to ask them to deal with business, and stress that you are proposing the mutual termination so that the estate incurs as few further costs as possible, hopefully they will see that you are not being unpleasant.

In terms of the door, unless your insurance covers it I don't think you have any other options. I think the police would only pay out if they break down the door of the wrong house because they have mis-read a warrant, or something of that kind.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I did not know the tenant at all - I am however, aware that she is not well off at all hence why I don't mind payment coming from the deposit (which was put up by the local authority) but have no interest in pursuing her estate. I was hoping the insurance might have been an option.

I can assure you money is not the important thing here, but there is also a limit to what I am able to cover.

If you have been taking HB payments for any length of time you should be able to cover a new front door surely, it can`t be much more than a months HB payment? What would you have done in a case where the tenant smashed up the flat and left without paying rent?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's going to be them one day, died renting.

perhaps he should by his final resting place now, or perhaps he will leave enough to rent somewhere.

I suppose dying the day after you signed up to a 600k mortgage on a London shoebox would be better, or after trying to find a buyer for three years maybe, or after realising that no, the house isn`t actually going to pay for your retirement...:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure