is it worth joining a union?

Hi,

I have never cared for unions and what they do but I am worried about losing my job due to ill health and am wondering if a union can help me? like Unison (I work for local govt). The employer has to follow the sickness absence policy procedure that they have set out but some of the interpretation is at their discretion, I wonder if it's worth joining the union and they could have someone defend me? would it actually make a difference to the outcome of any decision my employer makes? I don't know.

thanks for any advice

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I joined the union as while I don't agree with all they do I know they can be an absolute god send when you need them.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have never cared for unions and what they do but I am worried about losing my job due to ill health and am wondering if a union can help me? like Unison (I work for local govt). The employer has to follow the sickness absence policy procedure that they have set out but some of the interpretation is at their discretion, I wonder if it's worth joining the union and they could have someone defend me? would it actually make a difference to the outcome of any decision my employer makes? I don't know.

thanks for any advice

If I am reading this correctly, you are already in your authorities managing sickness absence procedure? In which case, you are too late to join a union. We will not represent people in matters that have already arisen before they join. It's too late to take out insurance after the fire has started.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,

I have never cared for unions and what they do

Then don't join, simples.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    If I am reading this correctly, you are already in your authorities managing sickness absence procedure? In which case, you are too late to join a union. We will not represent people in matters that have already arisen before they join. It's too late to take out insurance after the fire has started.
    Yes that's right this is an ongoing issue. OK that's helpful to know. Who is "we" btw?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    "We" in this instance is Unions.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Yes that's right this is an ongoing issue. OK that's helpful to know. Who is "we" btw?
    Unions in general
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    I have never cared for unions and what they do

Why not? What do they do that you don't like?

If you think that zero hours contracts, low wages, poor conditions and incompetent, vindictive management aren't an issue then don't join.

Unions don't go on strike; their members do. I was a member for 20+ years and never had need to go on strike..
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Loads of people hate Unions, but as soon as something goes wrong at work like an industrial injury or serious illness, they cant wait to sign up.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Loads of people hate Unions, but as soon as something goes wrong at work like an industrial injury or serious illness, they cant wait to sign up.

What people actually hate is what they think unions represent. And paying for them. Just like the millions of people who travel abroad every year without travel insurance etc., etc., they are under the impression that nothing could possibly ever happen to them because they are "too good/careful" or whatever. They won't ever get disciplined, they won't get sacked, they won't get sick, or old.... And as soon as they do, then it is the unions fault for not wanting to jump to their service.
  • Many years ago my FiL (who was a very senior HR manager in a very large public utility) advised his daughter and me: "First, make sure you join the pension scheme, second, join the union". Good advice - and he knew it.

Speaking personally, I didn't always find local reps that helpful, but I once had to have an issue referred to a regional rep, and he was brilliant, and saved me a lot of heartache.

OP - you may not approve of what unions "do", but from your other posts you work in the public sector (Cambridgeshire I think) so you are indirectly benefiting from many battles fought in the past by unions on behalf of their members. This includes pay, pensions etc. That's one of the reasons why you see so many posters on these boards moaning about "gold plated" pensions etc.

I found it depressing when non-union colleagues complained about unions but were quite happy to enjoy union negotiated salaries etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure